Portion control vs calorie control

Options
VividVegan
VividVegan Posts: 200 Member
edited August 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Example: 1
A heavy glazed 4 oz piece of chicken with one cup/portion of veggies cooked in butter and one serving of pasta on the side. Partially fills a plate.

Example: 2
A lightly seasoned 8 oz fish fillet with several cups/portions worth of vegetables (steamed in water). No pasta on the side. Fills the entire plate.

They're both around the same amount of calories but the second one piles the whole plate.
I'm mainly asking because I've been using less sauces and getting most of my carbs now from vegetables and fruits only. I still count calories. I've noticed that despite my newer meals still being approximately the same amount of calories, they take up the whole plate now. Is this bad or not? Will I eventually gain weight? Not sure if this is considered bad portion control. Opinions?

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    That's something that only the individual can decide for themselves. Yeah, if I could make myself eat the same amount of Spam as I could broccoli, I'd get fat as *kitten*. However, for me, the high fat content in said Spam would be the limiting factor without me even looking at the label. There's just no way I could do it, without feeling like I was going to be ill.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Around the same amount of calories means that either one will fit into your food plan -- they can be switched out.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    OP as you said you still count calories, so the portion size is neither here or there. It still comes down to how many calories you're consuming. As long as you're burning more calories than you eat you shouldn't gain weight.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    if you are eating less than you burn then you will lose weight...

as an FYI, source of carbs does not really matter, what matters is the size of your calorie deficit, and if you are meeting your micro and marco-nutrient goals.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    FeedMeFish wrote: »
    A heavy glazed 4 oz piece of chicken with one cup/portion of veggies cooked in butter and one serving of pasta on the side. Partially fills a plate.

A lightly seasoned 8 oz fish fillet with several cups/portions worth of vegetables (steamed in water). No pasta on the side. Fills the entire plate.

They're both around the same amount of calories but the second one piles the whole plate.
    I'm mainly asking because I've been using less sauces and getting most of my carbs now from vegetables and fruits only. I still count calories. I've noticed that despite my newer meals still being approximately the same amount of calories, they take up the whole plate now. Is this bad or not? Will I eventually gain weight? Not sure if this is considered bad portion control. Opinions?

I use veggies to give my meals more volume. I like a fuller plate, but it's not so important (to me) that I eliminate foods I love. I would use less sauce, and eat less pasta.....but not eliminate them all together. Because elimination doesn't work for me. Maintenance (for me) will be about portion control.....for everything.

It's all about calories. How you choose to use them is up to you.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Calorie counting is a method of exerting portion control, which are methods to achieve calorie control. Lots of people who diet, switch to less calorie dense food so they can eat more. Some overdo it and don't lose, but if you track correctly, you won't run into that problem.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    As has already been pointed out, calorie counting is simply one of several different methods of controlling one's portions. Whether you choose your first option or your second matters little in the grand scheme of things as long as your hunger is satiated and you're happy with the foods you're eating.
  • elaineamj
    elaineamj Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    This is what I do. not every meal, but many meals. My meals are veggie-heavy with a sprinkling of meat. I like being able to eat a larger volume. I've learned to really enjoy many things I didn't care much for before. I never really liked zucchini and eggplant and only ate tofu occasionally. Now I am obsessed with all 3.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    fr33sia12 wrote: »
    OP as you said you still count calories, so the portion size is neither here or there. It still comes down to how many calories you're consuming. As long as you're burning more calories than you eat you shouldn't gain weight.

This.

The fact that a full plate bothers you is quite worrying though and sounds like you have an unhealthy relationship with food.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    No, you won't gain from the higher volume, provided that the calories are still within your limit. That volume is mostly water and fiber in the veggies, and more lean protein rather than less protein with more fat on it. Enjoy the higher volume. That's how I eat since only get 1200 cals.... I am ALL about a huge plate full of nonstarchy vegetables and 4 oz lean meat. It keeps me from losing my $*** and eating my pillow in my sleep or whatever. lol. Also the fiber will keep you regular.
  • VividVegan
    Options

This.

The fact that a full plate bothers you is quite worrying though and sounds like you have an unhealthy relationship with food.

I'm trying to find out more information on how this works. Especially since
    a) I've recently been diagnosed with Crohn's and had to eliminate almost all meat products as I couldn't metabolize the fats without chronic pain and digestive issues (same with egg yolks). Additionally, I became gluten intolerant as well as lactose intolerant. I've recently learned to love vegetables and now eat them in large quantity. They make up over half of my meals.
    b) When eating out with family now, they freak out when seeing me pile my plate high with veggies at the salad bar.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

This.

a) I've recently been diagnosed with Crohn's and had to eliminate almost all meat products as I couldn't metabolize the fats without chronic pain and digestive issues (same with egg yolks). Additionally, I became gluten intolerant as well as lactose intolerant. I've recently learned to love vegetables and now eat them in large quantity. They make up over half of my meals.
    b) When eating out with family now, they freak out when seeing me pile my plate high with veggies at the salad bar.

Why do your family freak out at a plate of veg?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

This.

yes, why...?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Volume of food doesn't matter in terms of weight gain -- calories are calories.

Some people will find the smaller portion more filling, because of more fat, I suppose. Others, like me, will find the larger portions more filling. This could affect weight gain if you find it harder or easier to meet calorie goals.

I found that the amount of food (volume) I ate increased when I started focusing on calories, and yet I easily lost weight once I started doing that.
  • VividVegan
    Options

This.

Probably because they see it as overeating. I'm the only one who piles my plate (with mainly veggies because I like them) and they see it in person during family meals when I'm visiting between college semester breaks and holiday breaks.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Portion control does not mean portion minimization.

Portion control involves understanding how many calories and nutrients are in your food and adjusting your portion with that in mind.

Sometimes you might want a larger portion and sometimes you might want a smaller portion. With portion control, you don't mindlessly eat. You decide - given the available info - how much you are going to eat.

You don't have to conform to a certain portion or always have the same portion. My usual portion of broccoli is about 3 "servings" according to the suggested serving size. When I have chocolate, I have anywhere from 1/9th of a serving to 2 servings depending upon how much I want and how that fits with the rest of my food intake for that day.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options

This.

Wow! Just goes to show how crohn's is different for everyone. My partner has massive problems with any green veggies. He did have to switch his eggs from over easy to scrambled (which he doesn't like as much), but he can still eat them. And the only meat he has problems with is the really fatty stuff (like ground beef). He can still eat chicken, pork, fish and some lean steaks (in moderation).
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    capaul42 wrote: »

This.

Wow! Just goes to show how crohn's is different for everyone. My partner has massive problems with any green veggies. He did have to switch his eggs from over easy to scrambled (which he doesn't like as much), but he can still eat them. And the only meat he has problems with is the really fatty stuff (like ground beef). He can still eat chicken, pork, fish and some lean steaks (in moderation).

I only know of two people with it and the one survives on meat mainly because anything green makes her sick. The other one has it really bad and could barely eat anything. He, from what I heard, was told he may not even make it to graduation. He did but he lost a lot of weight that he couldn't afford to.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,944 Member
    Options

How much room your food takes up on the plate doesn't matter ... it's the calories that matter.

Personally, I'd go with the one that takes up the entire plate because, for me, that looks like I'm eating a lot (even though it is the same number of calories) so my brain is happy. And so is my stomach.

Plus, I'm not keen on sauces.

And what you describe is pretty close to how dinners work for my husband and me. We have a small mountain of veggies ... and some other stuff. The plate or bowl is full.

• TavistockToad
    Options

This.

Probably because they see it as overeating. I'm the only one who piles my plate (with mainly veggies because I like them) and they see it in person during family meals when I'm visiting between college semester breaks and holiday breaks.

Given your picture and what you've said about having Crohn's I really struggle to understand why your family would think that...