Fat gram intake?

Options
My aim has been to keep daily fat intake between 22-27 grams. Have done great until today when I added an ounce of walnuts as a snack. Ouch! Next time, I'll know better. What's your average goal regarding fat each day?

Replies

• AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    At least 100g a day -- today was 134g. Fat is essential.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    Around 110 g's
  • slim4health56
    slim4health56 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    You eat 900 calories a day in fat? Seriously?
  • srobinson84
    srobinson84 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I don't count, but I"m sure its at least 100g a day probably more.
  • slim4health56
    Options
    Well, again, I have to ask...seriously? Do you mean 100 grams or 100 calories? 100 grams of fat is 900 calories. Is this an Atkins or high fat diet thing?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    You eat 900 calories a day in fat? Seriously?
    Yup. That's about 1/3 of my caloric intake if you look at it as a percentage.
  • Lorijp
    Lorijp Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I do anywhere from 10-100, depends on my day and it's not something I pay much attention too. I do low carb high protein as a way of eating (not a diet). I eat peanuts all the time so that ups my fat intake and I eat hamburgers which are also high in fat. It really depends on what you are doing to lose weight on what you should do. Eating low carb high protein then fat intake doesn't matter too much. So what guidelines are you on as far as losing weight?
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    I really struggle to get to 50 grams a day on 1800 calories (of course if I blow my budget and eat french fries, queso, pizza or ice cream it's easy to rack up fast!). My natural intake if I'm sticking to my calorie goals would be about 30. I like to eat a large volume of food, and the easiest way to get more is to eat lower fat. But I know that some is necessary for good health, so it's a balancing act. Oh my gosh, a balanced diet! What a novel concept!
  • tinylightsbelow
    tinylightsbelow Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I don't have a clearly-defined goal, but I always seem to end up with around 30-60 grams and that's not a problem for me. If I ate more calories I'd definitely ramp up the fat; the only reason my totals are a bit low is because I am eating a relatively low-cal diet (1410/day) and to be able to eat a reasonable volume of food I don't eat too much fat. Most of it is from nuts, with a little from oil used to stirfry things.
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    At least 55g/day. As long as I've hit my protein goal for the day, I'm quite happy to go much higher than that.
  • Viva_Karina
    Viva_Karina Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lwa116rv5r1r4ghkoo1_500.gif
  • slim4health56
    Options
    I do anywhere from 10-100, depends on my day and it's not something I pay much attention too. I do low carb high protein as a way of eating (not a diet). I eat peanuts all the time so that ups my fat intake and I eat hamburgers which are also high in fat. It really depends on what you are doing to lose weight on what you should do. Eating low carb high protein then fat intake doesn't matter too much. So what guidelines are you on as far as losing weight?

Well, first off, congratulations to you! I read your page and can only imagine the commitment. Great to see! I've been keeping with a high protein diet to get off the carbs (Coke, chips, et cetera) and get away from these spikes in energy (go - dead - go - dead!). I hadn't heard that low carb with high protein meant fat intake didn't matter...I guess if you're restricting one, and watching the overall caloric intake it comes out in the wash. Was just wondering where everyone else was and there seems to be a thousand different ways to approach weight loss. I've done okay with the food - it's the exercise that I'm having trouble with. Arg! I'm still not quite able to consume 75 grams in protein so I picked up some HP shakes today - don't really want the chemicals that go with it, but...
  • slim4health56
    Options
    I really struggle to get to 50 grams a day on 1800 calories (of course if I blow my budget and eat french fries, queso, pizza or ice cream it's easy to rack up fast!). My natural intake if I'm sticking to my calorie goals would be about 30. I like to eat a large volume of food, and the easiest way to get more is to eat lower fat. But I know that some is necessary for good health, so it's a balancing act. Oh my gosh, a balanced diet! What a novel concept!

High volume? I can relate! I feel like a gluten when I go for a big salad - get out the serving trays! :blushing:
  • kimmymayhall
    kimmymayhall Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    It really varies but lately I think I've been averaging around 65 g per day. My goal is 50 and I see that as a minimum, though I don't always get there.
  • srobinson84
    srobinson84 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I did mean to say at least 100g of healthy fats daily. I would say a very large portion of my calories daily comes from fat. I'm the leanest and healthiest I've ever been in my adult life.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Never less than 50g. After that it really doesn't matter. Probably average 75g. Can be 100+ easily, sometimes approaching 200g. Your fat goal is extremely low, borderline dangerously low, IMO. I would re-examine your macros maybe?
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Like 80g give or take
  • symonspatrick
    symonspatrick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    45 to 65 grams would be a good minimum for me and 120 grams maximum. Fat doesn't make a person fat if the calories are not more than is needed by the body. I divide my weight by three and use that as the minimum number of fat grams I would like to eat. I like to get a variey of different types of fats from nuts and meats. I also try to limit transfats as much as possible.
  • annebaum41912
    annebaum41912 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I never seem to get my fat grams high enough. I"m starting to think it is a bad thing. I eat about 1500 calories a day. My diary is open. I eat healthy 95% of the time. I can't figure out how to eat healthy and get enough fat though. I did eat some nuts last night and had a bit of turkey bacon. So I actually hit my goal yesterday. But check any other day and I really am not. Not sure what to do. Thanks :)
  • melissarae27
    Options
    I aim for 100 grams per day (60% of my calories from fat).

I eat tons of nuts, cheese, butter, olive and coconut oil, greek yogurt, almond butter, avocado.