Sciatica...ARGHH!!

Options
Hi everyone! I've been on MFP for a while now and have lost about 60 lbs and am still working to lose more. However, for about the last month, I've had a flare up of an old back injury which is causing sciatica pain down my leg. Ouch! Needless to say, the last thing on my mind is counting calories and exercise, but I don't want to get to a place of regret. I can only walk on the treadmill at about 1.3 mph for about 15 minutes, but I know that movement is key. I guess I'm just looking for a bit of encouragement!! Normally, I'm not this needy, but sciatica pain kicks my rear....literally!

Replies

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    rest is key. if it's irritated now, you can see a doctor and see what they recommend.

i recommend sometimes-not as a doctor or a physical therapist but as a pain sufferer-child's pose, legs up the wall.
    this list has good poses too, but i am not a doctor
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I had this a few months ago. It's the worst pain ever, but I was able to exercise because I would do Leslie Sansone Walk Away the Pounds on You Tube. I couldn't do the treadmill or elliptical. I think they make the pain worse because of the impact. I suffered for 5 weeks with this pain, but I walked about 30 minutes a day using the videos.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I agree with the gentle yoga. Also a good piriformis stretch could help (other than pigeon). Might check PT out too.

I'm 7 weeks post op piriformis release and sciatic nerve decompression in my rear/hip.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that you don't need to exercise to lose weight. Keep eating in a deficit and see a doctor to help get relief for your sciatica. I had a similar episode a few years ago and a therapy of muscle relaxants, gentle stretching and a heating pad had me good to go in about 10 days.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I've been through this too. It was very not fun.
  • Neanbean13
    Neanbean13 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Go see a physio or chiro. Doctors do FA