Options
2»

Replies

• fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    amwoods72 wrote: »
    I know this seems like and odd question, but the question really is - If a person ate nothing but Hostess cupcakes, pizza, pasta, etc BUT stayed within their calorie count, will they lose weight? Don't get me wrong, I am NOT doing this, but really just wanting to know if it's just calories we should worry about. I stay under my calorie goal, try to burn 500 calories a day on the treadmill almost daily (I might skip a day) :) I am also not asking this so I can do this LOL!! If a person eats salad all day or a person eats cupcakes all day, they will BOTH lose weight if they are in their goal, correct?

What are you using to assess those 500 calories? Hope you are using an HRM, and not the built in monitor on the treadmill, as those are notoriously high (often double or higher) in their "calories burned" display.

Even a HRM isnt that accurate. But you are definitely correct they over exaggerate calories burned. IIRC in some cases by as much as 40%.

Depends on the HRM of course, but the better ones (and use a chest strap model - not the wrist-based ones) are FAR more accurate than relying on those machines.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472
  • BillMcKay1
    BillMcKay1 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    A person could, but given such a calorie punch for so little food, I think most people would have a hard time sticking to their calorie goals if that is all they ate.

Maybe I should try it and see. I'm eating ~1550cal a day right now. That's 10 twinkies. I have a hard time thinking that would keep me going, especially on lifting days.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    BillMcKay1 wrote: »
    A person could, but given such a calorie punch for so little food, I think most people would have a hard time sticking to their calorie goals if that is all they ate.

Maybe I should try it and see. I'm eating ~1550cal a day right now. That's 10 twinkies. I have a hard time thinking that would keep me going, especially on lifting days.

That's 10 twinkies if you don't burn anything at the gym. I could see earning another 10 pretty easy. 20 twinkies in a day isn't half bad.
  • joestop74
    joestop74 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You'd lose weight, but that doesn't mean you'd be healthy!
  • joestop74
    joestop74 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    amwoods72 wrote: »
    rankinsect wrote: »
    Sure.

I don't consider pizza or pasta "junk" either.

Hahahahahahahaha!!! I had pizza last night actually. Two pieces :) They fit into my calories so I had them

I always 'like' pizza posts.
  • BillMcKay1
    BillMcKay1 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    BillMcKay1 wrote: »

That's 10 twinkies if you don't burn anything at the gym. I could see earning another 10 pretty easy. 20 twinkies in a day isn't half bad.

Except I have a hard time thinking of getting under a 225lb squat fueled only by twinkies...also, I work out pretty hard in the weight room but I doubt I burn 1500 calories...
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Idk about twinkies but i am fairly certain i could chickfila milkshake 3x a day.
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I lost weight doing slimfast and lean cuisine in college while counting calories so yeah it's totally possible
  • norie92
    norie92 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Lose weight? Yes
    Get adequate nutrition? No