I Desperately Need Help!

Options
I don't want just a diet and exercise plan, I need it to be fun an entertaining. I can't completely cut out sweets or bread either, tried that and I lasted at the most, a week. I tend to get board easily and just stop trying and I don't know what to do... I Need some Ideas to help encourage me to make this drastic change and to become healthier. I am 328 lbs now and with my hight I need to be down to 140. Please tell me what your thoughts are. Thank You:drinker:

Replies

• NanaWubbie
    NanaWubbie Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I hate to say this, but this is going to take work. There is no way around it. I love DietBet (I'm not advertising, just letting you know what works for me). Set your goals small. Find some friends who will walk with you, play putt-putt, bowl, whatever......anything that does not involve food. Find positive, active people and learn from them. Sign up for a 5K run/walk, and train for it! My first one, I came in dead last, but I was so proud of myself for just crossing the finish line! Reward yourself with non-food rewards....a massage, a manicure or pedicure....a trip to the consignment shop. You have to work on your personal best, one small step at a time. Friend me if you like.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I don't want just a diet and exercise plan, I need it to be fun an entertaining. I can't completely cut out sweets or bread either, tried that and I lasted at the most, a week. I tend to get board easily and just stop trying and I don't know what to do... I Need some Ideas to help encourage me to make this drastic change and to become healthier. I am 328 lbs now and with my hight I need to be down to 140. Please tell me what your thoughts are. Thank You:drinker:

Start by just logging everything. There's no reason to cut out foods. Set up your account with your info and daily job activity. Eat the calorie goal it gives you. You can eat whatever you like so long as you are in your calorie goal. If you exercise outside of what your normally daily activity is then eat those calories back.

Honestly all you have to do is stay in a calorie deficit. You do not have to eat clean, go low carb, or paleo or anything else. If you want to make dietary changes go for it, but make sure whatever you decide to do is sustainable for you.
  • mdyoung6309
    Options
    Thank you
  • kindredspirit96
    kindredspirit96 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I feel you! And I LOVE your bears on your ticker! :smile: (do you love bears?)

I hate exercising too, and I get bored, also. One thing I like in the database, is they have some of the things you might already be doing --- if so, you should log them. They have "light housework" on there -- I totally log that. Like when I'm putting laundry away, doing dishes, picking up, etc....I log it. :happy: And tonight I took my daughter shopping from like 6pm to 9pm (it didn't seem like that long), so I logged 45 minutes of "leisurely walking". I didn't know how to count it, so that's what I logged. It makes you feel good to know some of the things you are doing, you can log.

Eventually you'll want to "up" it, of course. But for now, walking is my max. And I think walking is the best exercise anyway. :wink: Lots of people do (fitness experts).

So, I think, walking mixed with whatever you're interested. Like, walking around a craft fair. Or walking thru the mall. Or walking all over a healthy grocery store. Or walking all thru A/C Moore or JoAnn Fabrics, or a music store. Or walking thru a Bluegrass Festival. You know?
  • KellyyT
    KellyyT Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    agreed that walking totally counts! if i go shopping for 3 hours, i'm gonna log that bad boy as "leisurely walking" for 2 hours. but because i know some of that time was spent eating, standing, or waiting in line, i cut down the time. i typically walk through the mall like a crazy person though, so i know i'm going a lot faster than 2 mph and burning more!

but i'm not sure if putting in "housework" counts.. i thought that what you normally do on a day-to-day basis doesn't count because that's what's kept your weight at what it is? so.. even if you did laundry today, which is out of your "norm" for the week, it kinda balances out sitting on your butt the rest of the days. or the day you chose to do nothing but watch tv and nap.

like.. i wouldn't count the time it took me to get the mail and come back as "10 mins of leisurely walking". i don't know. it seems counter-productive and would make me think i could eat more calories when i probably shouldn't. but whatever works for you, i guess! any movement is better than none!
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options

you don't need to cut out ANYTHING! just cut down your portions! eat less, move more... pretty simple. I eat cookies, cake, chips... I eat what I can fit into my plan. if you know that without these things you will fail, then don't cut them, INCORPORATE THEM!
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    Work those sweets into your plan. Find fitness things that you like to do such as dancing, bowling or another game sort of thing. Whatever seems interesting to you. After a bit you feel in control and that really helps.
  • LoseItJourney
    LoseItJourney Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way as you.

I am bored within 2 days most of the time to be honest. So posting to keep this board for ideas too :) thanks for posting!
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    Eat what you like, and make it fit in your macros. Easy as that. Don't create to high of a deficit or you might get into trouble. If you'd like help running your numbers, PM me.
  • OtakuMusician
    OtakuMusician Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this is relevant, but to keep my exercises appealing for me I usually have something not audio, but visual. Lately I've been walking every day to an episode of my favorite show and that generally keeps me going, because it gives me something to look forward to as my exercises go along, like favorite episodes, etc.

So if you have a favorite TV show, or movie (which I would exercise to in increments of the movie), then try this plan! It keeps it less boring and it gives you something to do while you're exercising (and maybe take your mind off the fact that you are even exercising)
  • Ersheen
    Ersheen Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    same here ..i need support to,... plz if u get ideas let me know...i cant control my emotions for food,icecream...anything..:sad:
  • Ersheen
    Ersheen Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    dont eat anything after 6 o clock evening
  • shadus
    shadus Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Do you have things you specifically want? Make those achievements with rewards and they can help motivate you towards your goal.

My best suggestion is-- all things in moderation, do you ~really~ believe you can give up sweets for the rest of your life? then don't bother trying you won't stick to it. Can you eat 1/2c rather than 1c? That's a lot more reasonable long term.
  • MirandaMilan
    MirandaMilan Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I agree. I have been watching old seasons of Dr. Who. I only allow myself to watch them while I'm on the elliptical trainer, which gives me a 45 minute workout. I don't always have that much time, but it's my incentive to try to stick to it. I'm kind of new to dieting, but I've done a lot of research on dieting and nutrition. I've read that once you eat only healthy food for awhile, then you lose your cravings for junk. It sure as hell hasn't happened for me yet! I drive past all of my favorite restaurants and want to scream! That's my biggest challenge. Once our kids grew up, my husband and I started to eat out a lot. I figure this will be good for both of us in terms of health, weight, and money. Try telling yourself you can only eat wholesome food for two weeks. That's a pretty doable goal, and then see if you still crave the junk after that. Feel free to "friend" me. I'd love to brainstorm ideas with you, because I, too, love dessert and fast food.
  • loislenski
    loislenski Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this is relevant, but to keep my exercises appealing for me I usually have something not audio, but visual. Lately I've been walking every day to an episode of my favorite show and that generally keeps me going, because it gives me something to look forward to as my exercises go along, like favorite episodes, etc.

So if you have a favorite TV show, or movie (which I would exercise to in increments of the movie), then try this plan! It keeps it less boring and it gives you something to do while you're exercising (and maybe take your mind off the fact that you are even exercising)
    What she said. I had a stationary bike and I would watch an episode of Psych while I biked. That gave me about forty minutes of biking and it was enjoyable to me because I got to watch my Psych episode. Oh, and I had a really clever name for it... Bike n' Psych. :)
  • anewlily
    anewlily Posts: 5
    Options
    I agree with the person who said this IS going to take work. You cant expect great things with little or no effort. You have to earn it. And I think the best thing you can do is just focus on getting your body moving.... go to the gym, get a treadmill, take that daily walk to the local park... Whatever you can do to just put yourself in motion. Eventually it will become addicting. you will WANT to go out and exercise!!
  • twinadoes6
    Options
    I would make small goals for yourself. The first 5 pounds etc, it seems overwhelming to look at it all, so breaking it down into small goals might help. Second don't deprive yourself, if you want chips ,candy etc, work it into your diet plan within reason. Exercise, exercise, exercise. Start small, a 10 minute walk a few times a week and work up to a 20 minute walk. Before you know it you'll be walking an hour. You can do this!
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options

Start by just logging everything. There's no reason to cut out foods. Set up your account with your info and daily job activity. Eat the calorie goal it gives you. You can eat whatever you like so long as you are in your calorie goal. If you exercise outside of what your normally daily activity is then eat those calories back.

Honestly all you have to do is stay in a calorie deficit. You do not have to eat clean, go low carb, or paleo or anything else. If you want to make dietary changes go for it, but make sure whatever you decide to do is sustainable for you.

I like this for you. Just start. Find your path as you go. Start one thing then add another and another until results start. I started more like that. It's never all or nothing - because that usually ends at nothing. Just start logging. It's a proven method (there is a huge research project going on about maintained weight loss and one of the biggest commonalities is logging food). Look around the site and see what groups appeal to you. Don't commit to quickly.

I just started logging - day one - no diet. Saw right off where I derailed at. It sure made it obvious. Then I spotted the calories at the bottom and started wanting that to look better. Now I'm inspired to walk more because I want more calories. Just start and let it happen.
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    As far as activities - if you get bored - mix it up. I know- that was obvious. but I know somedays my friend's grandkid wants to play tag. Ok, I'll play. Boom exercise and giggles. Once played football with a 2 year old. Be open to just rolling with activities that come your way - things will happen. In the meantime - distraction like TV like some said - is a good boredom breaker.
  • cassondra1370
    cassondra1370 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I was never extremely overweight, but I was unhappy with my body. I tried super restrictive diets or cutting certain thing out, and I always went back to my old ways within two weeks. I was successful this time around. As other have said,

1. Log everything you eat
    2. Eat what you want but PORTIONS
    3. Measure everything you eat
    4. Try to do some kind of exercise. If you are struggling to stay in you caloric goals, this will help you get some wiggle room
    5. Set a calorie goal that makes sense. Don't go from eating 3000 calories a day to 1200. That's not realistic

Most importantly, just get started. You can do it!