Calories in. Calories out

Options
I am finally trying to eat in a way that works best for me! I'm ignoring the paleo pushers, the low/no carb crazies, and eating less of what I love. I had a McDonald's cheeseburger happy meal for lunch (my salad was very bad). To me that's a win. I still have plenty of calories left for dinner and a small dessert (I worked out this morning). No more feeling guilty for eating anything outside of veggies and protein :)

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Good for you.

All things in moderation for me too. I need portion control for all foods, not just a select sub-set.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Good for you! I maintained my weight throughout most of my 20's on Mountain Dew and Burger King with no problem - it absolutely can be done no matter what you eat. The diet of my 20's is what seems "crazy" to me and the low carb diet I eat now eminently sensible but whatever gets the job done, right? Best wishes. :smile:
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I kind of miss having fast food. I only gave it up because my partner can't have it anymore (crohn's) and I would feel bad eating it in front of him. But damn, I miss A&W's mozza combos!
  • cinnag4225
    cinnag4225 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I have ice cream almost every day. I eat burgers and pizza fairly regularly. Heck. I had three cans of soda this past weekend. I've lost 39 lbs since April 25th. Really the only thing I look at any more besides calories is sodium, but I've backed off a bit with that because it was quite frankly depressing when I realized EVERYTHING has sodium in it.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    As Dr Gru would say "Light bulb"
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Yeah - it was really unbelievable when I realized that Olive Garden Salads were so "bad" vs. their Pasta Fagiole soup. The soup had so much more fiber and protein, and so much less fat....SO much more food journal friendly than the salad - no protein, some fiber, but lots of fat with the salad dressing.

It's all about realizing what you're willing to do - I had a 6 piece nuggets and cup of fruit from Chik-fil-a...also had some pretzels (no fat!). Grilled nuggets would have been a little better for me, but it was still a vary reasonable lunch! Like you said - no need to feel guilty - it all logged quite nicely.

Calories in /calories out - and making some good choices.....that will do a lot!!!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    It's all in what you can sustain long term. Not everyone enjoys eating plain chicken breast and rabbit food 365 days per year. I know I don't. As long as you are meeting your nutritional needs overall then there should be no guilt.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    When I'm being cheap I'll have a McDs McDouble and small fries for $2.50. And about 660 cals.
    I am finally trying to eat in a way that works best for me! I'm ignoring the paleo pushers, the low/no carb crazies, and eating less of what I love. I had a McDonald's cheeseburger happy meal for lunch (my salad was very bad). To me that's a win. I still have plenty of calories left for dinner and a small dessert (I worked out this morning). No more feeling guilty for eating anything outside of veggies and protein :)

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a plan!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    When I'm being cheap I'll have a McDs McDouble and small fries for $2.50. And about 660 cals.

Yep - that's my usual McD's meal.
  • brotherjake70
    brotherjake70 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Great attitude. Enjoy in moderation. There is no need to feel guilty. When you do, that's when all hell breaks loose.
  • schataut
    schataut Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I think that is a better lifestyle than going on all these diets with a lot of restrictions. So that is how I am doing it as well; everything in moderation + exercise about 4 times a week.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Nice. I love pizza and children's breakfast cereal. Every diet I've ever done before wouldn't allow me either of these. I'm so happy with life now that I get both.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    No need to feel guilt about it, food is food. Moderate and watch your macros and you'll be just fine. Adherence is the name of the game, here :)
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    I eat a Paleo diet because there's nothing I don't love about it, and the foods I avoid are the ones that make me feel bloated and overly full, so I figure I'm ahead of the game. Every so often a worthy cheat comes along, like this weekend - a slice of key lime pie! So I indulge, because I know it'll be a while until I stumble on another slice.
    In terms of fast food, I eat at McD's every morning. I get two fresh eggs and two sausage patties. Works for me. But I won't eat any of their other menu items.
    30 lbs. in 6 months...
    To OP, it's really a matter of what works for each of us. Glad you have a plan that works for you. Best of luck...