182lbs Weight loss... The turning point.

Options

The turning point for me was realizing that the food industry (Nestlé, ConAgra, Tyson, McDonalds) doesn't give a damn about you.

If they can make a profit by selling you something that will make you sick and shorten your life, God help us they will not only do it, but will higher entire Universities to figure out how to sell you as much as possible for the highest price at the cheapest cost.

To these companies we are just dollars, they care nothing for your health. It's up to us to support companies that produce quality foods with our money.

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    You've lost 182 pounds? Congrats!

Have you read Salt Sugar Fat: How the Food Giants Hooked Us?

I do mostly buy from companies that are in line with my food values.
  • JstTheWayIam
    JstTheWayIam Posts: 6,357 Member
    Options
    I have not but I've heard it's a good one, I can recommend "How Not to Die" by Dr. Michael Greger though.

Blew me completely away.
  • hjlourenshj
    hjlourenshj Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Jesse8ajr wrote: »
    The turning point for me was realizing that the food industry (Nestlé, ConAgra, Tyson, McDonalds) doesn't give a damn about you.

If they can make a profit by selling you something that will make you sick and shorten your life, God help us they will not only do it, but will higher entire Universities to figure out how to sell you as much as possible for the highest price at the cheapest cost.

To these companies we are just dollars, they care nothing for your health. It's up to us to support companies that produce quality foods with our money.

Yeah, give someone else the fault..... Thats always easiest. You knew very well an home cooked meal with vegetables is healthier then your macdonals
  • briannesabarese
    briannesabarese Posts: 2 Member
    Options

Yeah, give someone else the fault..... Thats always easiest. You knew very well an home cooked meal with vegetables is healthier then your macdonals

I don't recall the blame ever being put on those companies, just merely an observation that they don't care about you... why are you being an *kitten*.

Anyway, congrats on the weight loss dude! I cut out fast food completely I should give that book a read.
  • hjlourenshj
    hjlourenshj Posts: 66 Member
    Options

I don't recall the blame ever being put on those companies, just merely an observation that they don't care about you... why are you being an *kitten*.

Anyway, congrats on the weight loss dude! I cut out fast food completely I should give that book a read.

What are you talking about!? The whole message was a blame to those big bad companies. Make your own choice in food. Everyone here is doing it. I love MacDonalds once in a while, doesn't mean they want to kill me! And in the end of the message he is trapped in the same!! What do you mean 'supporting' companies? You are an costumer who is buying food. Go to the supermarket and try to make the best choice for yourself!

Sorry i didn't say it yet, congrats on the 182lbs weightloss. You clearly made the right choices food wise. That is amazing. Good job

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,432 Member
    Options
    When I went to B-school (MBA program), they told us that the way your company succeeds is by identifying what the consumer wants/needs, and giving it to them at a profitable price, using marketing to convince them that your product is the best little need-meeter on the market . . . more or less. The biggest piece of explicit "evil" was the idea that it was OK to identify "needs" people didn't know they had, and exploit those.

Food companies tend to do extensive focus-group interviewing and taste-testing to home in on the things that people find the most tempting and desirable.

So, I guess the "poison the people" conspiracy is so secret they don't even explicitly tell people about it in business schools. Pretty darned subtle!

Do they care about our health? Meh. Not their job. Profit is their job. Do we care about our health? Not much, on the whole - and that's why they don't, either.

OP, I agree with your conclusion: It's up to us to support companies that produce quality foods with our money.
  • JstTheWayIam
    Options
    Why do they need to put dyes and artificial sweetness and preservatives in our food and things like brominated vegetable oil and caramel color.

You should be able to go to the store and buy whatever you want without having to worry about being poisoned.

So many people who think they are eating healthy are just not, but duped into believing so by companies making things like lean cuisine and weight watcher.

These companies get away with it because of people like hejl...
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Any 'company' that offers food for money sees you as money. Ben does. Jerry does. Your belly is a source of market demand and humanity has long organized itself into satisfying that demand.

Observe the Gluten-Free biz .
  • Bxqtie116
    Bxqtie116 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    The OP has a valid point. However, these companies are not putting a gun to our heads making us buy their foods. It's up to us to make the decision to eat better and have a healthier lifestyle. Even though they try to offer healthier options, a salad that's 700-1000 calories isn't healthy at all.

Americans have a busier schedule now than we did 20+ years ago. A lot of us adults either grew up in homes in which the parents didn't know how to cook or we're the ones raising children and picking up something quick cause we can't cook or don't have the time. It's all been conditioned to think that faster and cheaper is better for us. At first glance, maybe, but overall, our health will be affected. If we adults begin to make healthier choices for our children, they'll continue the trend for their own children. Fast food should be a treat, not a way of life.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Mcdonalds 2.00 menu is also cheaper than the salad if you have to watch your budget.
  • JstTheWayIam
    Options
    Thanks all for participating.

For those who have trouble fighting cravings and binging on convenient temptation, remember they don't give a damn about you and read your nutrition labels.

Most have no idea how bad these companies can be.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for participating.

For those who have trouble fighting cravings and binging on convenient temptation, remember they don't give a damn about you and read your nutrition labels.

Most have no idea how bad these companies can be.

Things that help me not give in to convenient temptation are:
    1. Never letting myself get too hungry
    2. Not going to the grocery store hungry
    3. Always having something quick available

And I read labels. My belief is that a company that uses HFCS instead of sugar values cost over quality, and I vote against this with my dollars.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I don't eat fast food. It's not because I think it's poisoning me, it's not because I don't trust the companies; it simply doesn't appeal to me. That being said, do I think fast food is to blame for making people overweight? Nope. Do I think it's making people sick? Nah, there are fear-mongering reports everywhere. Fast food makes you sick, tomatoes give you cancer, water causes death, oh no wait water is good now! As stated by others in this thread, the main purpose of a company is profit and it's not really their job to choose the highest quality ingredients for the people. Those that do, we can make informed choices on where we direct our support. Remember though, just like fast food companies have something to sell, so do the people who write the books protesting them so much. If they cared about your health so much, wouldn't they make all the information free without charging you to buy a book? There's always an angle.

Maybe I'm completely uneducated on the subject, but I could swear Papa John's is doing away with a lot of artificial ingredients and preservatives and McDonald's just remade their chicken nuggets to be free of artificial preservatives. Isn't that a step in the right direction for the consumer? Furthermore, most of these places post nutritional information online and I'm pretty sure that if one had to choose to eat fast food, they could make healthier choices if they do a bit of research. Nobody forces people to eat fast food; it's a choice. Everyone has control of their own free will. If someone is addicted to fast food, as in they'll freak out if they do not have Taco Bell every day, then it says more about the person than the company.

Congratulations on your weight loss; I'm glad you found a system that works for you. We have a lot of success stories here from people who follow a vast array of dietary lifestyles. As long as everyone is happy and healthy, they should do what works best for them whether it's being vegan, vegetarian, banning foods, eating "clean", LCHF, HCLF, eating in moderation, and everything in between.