Confusion about deficit

Options
2»

Replies

• rebel_26
    rebel_26 Posts: 1,826 Member
    Options
    Im curious how you burned 1000 calories by noon and have a desk job...do you have a treadmill under your desk?
  • B4Rachael
    B4Rachael Posts: 155 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    rebel_26 wrote: »
    Im curious how you burned 1000 calories by noon and have a desk job...do you have a treadmill under your desk?

Right from Fitbit to help you understand how it works :smile:

"How does Fitbit estimate how many calories I've burned?"

Your basal metabolic rate (BMR) is the rate at which you burn calories at rest just to maintain vital body functions like breathing, heartbeat, and brain activity. Your BMR usually accounts for at least half of the calories you burn in a day and is estimated based on the physical data you entered when you set up your account: gender, age, height, and weight.

The calorie burn estimate that Fitbit provides takes into account your BMR, the activity recorded by your tracker, and any activities you log manually.

Your tracker's calorie count will reset each night at midnight and begin counting immediately thereafter. BMR is the reason your tracker starts the day with calories already burned—you've still burned calories even if you haven't gotten out of bed yet.

And since she said she has the charge HR: If your tracker measures heart rate, the calorie burn estimate also takes heart rate into account.
  • FLBeachluvr
    FLBeachluvr Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Yes, the 1001 calories burned were from my Fitbit Charge HR and was actually as of 3:55 pm. so it wasn't very much. These were total calories burned not just from exercise.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    op if you only have 20-25 lbs to lose set your mfp to lose .5 lbs a week. it will give you a little more calories. with so little to lose thats what you should be aiming for.
  • FLBeachluvr
    FLBeachluvr Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    op if you only have 20-25 lbs to lose set your mfp to lose .5 lbs a week. it will give you a little more calories. with so little to lose thats what you should be aiming for.

I did play around with my weekly weight loss goal and I would get 1290 if I put my goal to lose 0.5 lbs. a week. What I found with that though was on low exercise days MFP was taking calories away, down to as low as 1201 calories a day. I prefer to plan my meals in the morning based on the 1200 calories per day and then if I get in a bunch of exercise I just add food to my dinner and after-dinner snacks to account for the extra exercise calories I'm given.
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    If you've been using Fitbit for a while, you can look back at past days to get an average of how many calories you burn. I typically burn 1750, less on lazy days, more on really active cardio days. So to lose 1 pound per week, I would eat 1250, 0.5 pounds per week it would be 1500. (Take the calories away from your total calories burned, not your BMR.)
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    keharty wrote: »

I did play around with my weekly weight loss goal and I would get 1290 if I put my goal to lose 0.5 lbs. a week. What I found with that though was on low exercise days MFP was taking calories away, down to as low as 1201 calories a day. I prefer to plan my meals in the morning based on the 1200 calories per day and then if I get in a bunch of exercise I just add food to my dinner and after-dinner snacks to account for the extra exercise calories I'm given.

are you using a fitbit or some other device with mfp? if so thats whats taking the calories away.mfp wont take them away alone,but your way sounds fine