High protein/low calorie/whole food suggestions?

kateowp
kateowp Posts: 103 Member
I would like to eat around 30g of protein at breakfast. I am also trying to eat whole/real foods and keep my breakfast between 150-300 calories. Any suggestions?

Replies

• kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Chicken...or egg whites.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    edited August 2016
    kwtilbury wrote: »
    Chicken...or egg whites.

Yup. Turkey might even be a slight bit lower on calories than chicken but not by much. Turkey breast cutlets should be available in the stores. I throw some bbq seasoning on them and grill them up like a steak. Beyond that I eat a lot of chicken breasts and chicken thighs (boneless/skinless).

For breakfast I go for bran cereal with almond milk which satisfies nearly half my daily requirement of fiber and then drink a protein shake. It's quick and easy. So every morning it's 1/2 cup fiber one bran, 1/2 cup vanilla almond milk, 2 scoops of protein isolate mixed with water (usually chocolate). Breakfast then is 60g protein, 390 calories, and 14-17g fiber. No, the fiber cereal doesn't taste all that great but with vanilla almond milk it's not bad, and you an add a little fruit if you want for minimal calories.
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    edited August 2016
    Is there a reason why?
  • kateowp
    ouryve wrote: »
    Is there a reason why?

A nutritionist told me to go for 30g protein for breakfast- not sure if it is worthwhile advice but I thought Id give it a try and see how I feel. 150-300 calories because I'm eating 1200 calories a day in 5 meals and would prefer to save my calories for later in the day.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    kateowp wrote: »
    I would like to eat around 30g of protein at breakfast. I am also trying to eat whole/real foods and keep my breakfast between 150-300 calories. Any suggestions?

I sometimes eat a 2 egg vegetable omelet with plain greek yogurt or cottage cheese or smoked salmon on the side. 30+ g protein, but more like 350 calories.

More efficient option would be egg whites (not my thing) or a less traditional breakfast, like a salad with chicken on it or some leftover meat + vegetables.
  • kateowp
    chicken and turkey look like just the ticket- thanks!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,052 Member
    kateowp wrote: »
    ouryve wrote: »
    Is there a reason why?

A nutritionist told me to go for 30g protein for breakfast- not sure if it is worthwhile advice but I thought Id give it a try and see how I feel. 150-300 calories because I'm eating 1200 calories a day in 5 meals and would prefer to save my calories for later in the day.

Upping protein and fiber does help me stay full and thus easier to create a calorie deficit.

100 g (3.5 ounces) of chicken breast has 31 grams of protein and 165 calories. Seems like it could be challenging to meet your goals of a meal with 30 g protein AND 150-300 calories.

How tall are you? Many women chose 1200 calories when they could definitely have more and still lose weight. I'm 5'6" and lose weight on 1500 calories before exercise, and I exercise.
  • kateowp
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    How tall are you? Many women chose 1200 calories when they could definitely have more and still lose weight. I'm 5'6" and lose weight on 1500 calories before exercise, and I exercise.

I'm 5'5". I have lost weight eating more calories in the past, but for the past 2 months I've been following a 1200 calorie/5 meal program and its been working really well for me.
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    tofu scramble
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    FYI - alot of professionals suggest under 6.5 oz of meat a day due to saturated fats and cholesterol, which are a long term problem. I would keep that in mind and try to get alot of your protein from plant based sources. (no, you don't have to eat tofu every day either).

I will point out that one cup of lentils has the protein (18 g) of 3 eggs and none of the fat/cholesterol for about the same amount of calories (220 kcal) And you can mix them with vegetables and other sources.