steroid maintenance and losing weight

Options
I am on a course of steroids for past 2 months and will be for next few months. Would like to hear others success stories on how they manage on long to mid-term steroid use. I have gained 10 pounds and I am struggling to watch everything I eat not binge eating.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    I take steroids every day and have my entire life. They aren't why I'm fat and they aren't why I've lost 95 pounds. They just are. I used to blame them. The steroids. Always the steroids. Not the child Alyssa overeating nor the teenage Alyssa overeating nor the adult Alyssa overeating. Because steroids. I stopped blaming the steroids and started thanking them for keeping me alive all these years. Maybe I've been on them so long that I don't notice or remember an increase in appetite but I have changed medicines and doses many times over the years. I recall lots of other side effects but none having to do with gaining weight. Not to be flippant, but maybe that's because I was already fat by the time I was old enough to notice that.
  • dbhDeb
    dbhDeb Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Alyssa0061, thank you for your perspective and I am sorry you have had to take them your whole life. Best of luck to you in your weight loss journey!

It definitely does cause an increase in appetite and my face has the moon appearance now. I think that is well-established for steroid use. I am very grateful for their healing powers and I am not trying to make excuses for gaining weight. I had lost 15 pounds when I was sick and gained back 10 so I want to curb the hike. Then I have an additional 20 I'm trying to lose so right now I need 30 pounds off. It may take longer. If anyone else has any good tips on steroid use, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!
  • Vegplotter
    Vegplotter Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    The advice is the same whatever medicine you are on. Just eat less calories - it works! Good luck.
  • dbhDeb
    dbhDeb Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    thanks