0 calorie pasta any good? Shirataki “Miracle Noodle” pas

Options
heathersmilez
heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
Has anyone tied these noodles? Did you like the taste, did you have any side effects?

I want to order these to see what 0 calorie noodles taste like plus the obvious perk of being able to eat pasta for no calories; actually its 6-8 calories per 100g but at such a low number legally they don’t have to disclose that.

I am however slightly concerned with ordering food from an overseas country – am I silly thinking this? I come from the most diverse country and city for that matter on earth (yea Torona area Canada – happy Canada Day tomorrow everyone!) but just because it’s sold in stores (most notably asian grocery stores) doesn’t necessarily mean Health Canada got their hands on it first to review it.

These noodles are called Shirataki but marketed as Miracle Noodle (one brand name) are 97% water and 3% fiber which comes from glucomannan. This is not a fiber source well known to North American diets but so far research has shown that is has acted like most fibers; it fills you up which may lead to weight loss plus studies have shown a reduction in bad cholesterol and people with thyroid conditions have even experienced good results. The only side effects known so far are gas and diarrhea but they say that usually only occurs with high doses therefore only eat one meal a day of these noodles before gradually increasing (I would never eat more than one meal a day but I can see how some dieters go too far living off of 0-calorie food)

Thanks for your opinions!

Replies

• brwneyes71
    brwneyes71 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Just eat your pasta before 2pm and eat whole wheat pasta and you will be ok. that is what my trainer tells me to do.
  • brwneyes71
    brwneyes71 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Just eat your pasta before 2pm and eat whole wheat pasta and you will be ok. that is what my trainer tells me to do.
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I don't know about *zero* calorie shirataki, but I get shirataki noodles at my grocery, it's like 40 calories for the 8 oz. bag. They're made out of tofu, I really like them! But they don't fill me up for very long! :ohwell:
  • Sebastiansmommy
    Options
    For me they were too good to be true. The liquid it comes in smells pretty bad. After you rinse them good eat them with a sauce cuz they have no flavor. Now heres the part I couldn't get past.....the texture! For me it was like chewing on rubberbands, if you can get past that then they're great..........but I couldn't:ohwell:
  • heathersmilez
    Options
    Ah rubber band noodles, something to look forward too! Thanks for the tips, yes I heard they smell from the water they are packed in and may need to be cooked out, I wonder how bad... hmmmmm ;)

I only eat pasta less than once a month so no need to eat ww pasta early in the day - Id rather not eat it b/c a calorie is a calorie regardless of the time of day. Plus, I'm not a big pasta fan - bread yes pasta no.
  • cindyangotti
    cindyangotti Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    These are the most disgusting "food" I ever tried. They smell like dead fish and it feels like you are chewing earthworms. I don't see how HungryGirl can promote these. I really can't imagine anybody really like to eat these worms.. or noodles.

Yuck.. don't try them. You will not like them.
  • heathersmilez
    Options
    I don't know about *zero* calorie shirataki, but I get shirataki noodles at my grocery, it's like 40 calories for the 8 oz. bag. They're made out of tofu, I really like them! But they don't fill me up for very long! :ohwell:

Oh really? That would be much easier than ordering them. Are they refrigerated? Are they kept in the area near deli that sells veggie burgers and such? Thanks!
  • heathersmilez
    Options
    I am sooooo glad I posted this question here, I had no idea they were so gross, plain I expected but gross - wow! I am still curious about them but at least now I wont order the value-pack jumbo case, ha ha!
  • breakingthepath
    Options
    The oriental food store in my town has some. They're really good if you're a fan of Japanese cooking but don't think about drowning them in spaghetti sauce, etc.
  • iguanaliz
    iguanaliz Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I love them! But it took some trial and error to get to that point. Luckily, my husband has always lived them so I had a reason to keep trying. Yes, the liquid is rank. You have to rinse them really, really well in cold water until the smell is gone. My trick to get past the texture is to sautee them over high heat with whatever seasonings or a bit of the sauce I'll be using until they "squeak" - you'll know it when you here it. They really soak up the seasoning, which I love. Use them like you would any other noodle. Or chop them up and use them like rice.

It is definitely one of those love or hate foods, so yeah, don't start with the jumbo pack :-) I get them at my grocery store, too, in the refrigerated organic/vegetarian food section. My local nutrition store also sells them. I get the House Foods brand.

Give them a shot. It's really the only way to know for certain. Like I said, people either love them or hate them.
  • TracieJ65
    TracieJ65 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I ordered a bunch of these and hated them! Fortunately as a first time buyer you can get a full refund, which I DID. Go to your supermarket and in the produce isle, where tofu is, and there is a brand called "house foods" shirataki noodles. They cost 2-3 dollars a package. Try those and if you like them, or can stomach them, then you will know for a whole lot cheaper. After I returned the miracle noodles I finally found these and even gave them a try to see if maybe I might like them. I made it with laughing cow light Swiss and some turkey bacon thinking maybe I could mask it. I made myself eat three bites before I threw it out. I had an upset stomach the rest of the day.
  • pollyclover
    Options
    In a word, they are awful. Don't waste your time or money, like I did. I ordered a package of 12 bags and tried one. The rest went in the garbage after one bite. I am not a picky eater at all but these were really nasty. Not so much the taste, because there isn't any taste, but the texture is disgusting.
  • nadiahaustin
    Options
    Get your Skinny dip Shiritaki Noodles here: http://zerocalorienoodles.ch/ . SKINNYDIP NOODLES the good Quality , Excellent Value , Better tasting Shrititake Noodle!! - European orders only. US orders www.Skinnydipnoodles.com
  • spottedkathy
    spottedkathy Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I bought some but haven't tried them yet. When I do, I will let you know! Feel free to add me as a friend so it is easier to respond back to you :)
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options

What happens if you eat pasta after 2PM? Would I turn into a gremlin? Just kidding about the gremlin part, but what was his reasoning for that?
  • Sizethree4Ever
    Sizethree4Ever Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I bought some at an Asian grocery store in Ajax, ( Canada ) $ 2.00 a bag. It is a little rubbery, but not bad.
  • JessicaPasieka
    JessicaPasieka Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Sorry to tell you, but this is Definitely the most disgusting thing I have tried thus far on my weight loss journey. The texture made me want to Hurl. It's not even worth it. Just eat real pasta. Honestly.
  • GormanGhaste
    GormanGhaste Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I only eat pasta less than once a month. Plus, I'm not a big pasta fan.
    Then why bother with the fake noodles? Just eat regular pasta.
  • peabean26
    peabean26 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I eat them all the time. You MUST rinse them well before cooking them, and they go best in a meal that has a lot of other flavors. I usually put them in Pad Thai, or in beef stroganoff. They do smell funny coming out of the package, but that goes away with a lot of rinsing. I'm not sure why so many people dont like them.

For me, the only downside is the expense. They come in small bags that are at least 2.00 each (where I live) so buying enough for a family meal is expensive. I try to get them on sale.
  • SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Love them. Here's a link you may want to read:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/667310-let-s-talk-about-shirataki-noodles-the-continuation?hl=shiratki+noodles&page=6#posts-10939262

And the person that said just eat pasta, especially wheat, is wrong. Just sayin'.