Calling all vegans!

Options
VividVegan
VividVegan Posts: 200 Member
edited August 2016 in Introduce Yourself
I'm a new vegan (female, 24 [birthday coming up soon], 5'6, 130 pounds, and would like to have some MFP vegans added for motivation, recipes (food diary), macros, motivation, and maybe some advice through message? I'm not an animal rights vegan nor specifically doing this diet mainly for weight loss. This is for medical purposes and is now my new lifestyle. Long story short, I developed Crohn's disease, and after trial and error, food and symptom monitoring, evaluation (from my gastroenterologist), procedure, diagnoses, it turns out that my Crohn's is the reason I cannot metabolize animal product fats well (chicken, beef, egg yolks, and certain fish). Additionally, I'm already allergic to dairy and egg whites. This isn't just animal fats though. I have to keep my overall fats low (oils, nut butters, avocado, and so on). But it was a lot more difficult with meats and egg yolks which caused major flare ups. My doctor strongly recommended a vegan diet and told me to report how I felt after the first couple weeks. Well, I've been feeling much better, no more flare ups, no more vomiting nor bowel issues (TMI lol), and bloating has dramatically decreased. Mouth ulcers stopped as well, and I have more energy. I did research which also states that a vegan diet can be very Crohn-friendly. I've decided to stick to it and would appreciate some vegan support/friends. I will admit, I've very recently slipped up a few times but it was when visiting family. They aren't used to my change yet and were pressuring me so much to eat animal products with them on those few days (which turned into the runs and flare ups the following day). It almost turned into a major argument but I will NOT let them pressure me nor guilt-trip me again! I do coincidentally have around 7 pounds to lose. I think it can be done on a high-ish carb, moderate protein, and low-fat vegan diet. We're in this together! I'm gluten intolerant as well. Just throwing that out there. And ignore my username. I already changed it once in the past. I don't think I can change it again...

Replies

• JorunnKristoffersen
    Options
    Hi am into my second year as a Vegan, I love it !! No turning back !!! Have recently started getting into training again, after long pause and struggling with depression,,, on - off gym so on,,
  • gclemmer3509
    gclemmer3509 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi there! 18 day vegan and love it. But not losing weight and don't know why. Anyway, would love to share diaries!
  • BarbieRosh
    BarbieRosh Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    After watching this video on YouTube I seriously need to convert to vegan. Any suggestions?