Popcorn

Options
I know I saw this question somewhere else but cant find it. So the popcorn label says that per 100g , you get 355 calories. But when measuring the popcorn , do I weigh it before its air popped or after? As im confused to what the 100g is refering to.

Replies

• RainaProske
    RainaProske Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Are you looking at the container you bought the popcorn in? Is it a bag of microwave popcorn with all the oils and stuff already added? I just use regular popcorn seeds, popping them in a bowl in the microwave. That number of calories is extreme, in my opinion. This is what the popcorn I use says on MFP: "Generic - Popcorn (Uncooked) 0.25 cup (uncooked), 160 calories," and it agrees with what my container says.
  • healthy491
    healthy491 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Are you looking at the container you bought the popcorn in? Is it a bag of microwave popcorn with all the oils and stuff already added? I just use regular popcorn seeds, popping them in a bowl in the microwave. That number of calories is extreme, in my opinion. This is what the popcorn I use says on MFP: "Generic - Popcorn (Uncooked) 0.25 cup (uncooked), 160 calories," and it agrees with what my container says.

No its just a bag of popcorn seeds , thanks :)
  • RainaProske
    Options
    Okay. A quarter cup of popcorn seeds makes quite a bit of popcorn for one person. I am not used to using grams, so I just don't. I should, though.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    @RainaProske
    Do you cover your bowl when you pop your corn in the microwave it?

I do the same with Raina in regards to measuring it out etc.. I pop it in my microwave but here's how I do it.. take a lunch bag and pour in a 1/4 cup of plain popcorn then fold over the top of the lunch bag and then fold over again. Just like you'd do for a kids lunch bag in the day when the dinosaurs roamed the earth and some of us took a sack lunch to school. :laugh:

It doesn't need any oil in the bag at all, the drop of water in each kernel is what makes it pop. You lay it on it's side, close up the micro and set your popcorn button and listen just like you do with the store bought type..so it doesn't burn.

Fabulous! Brewers yeast is great on it...cheesy tasting :wink:

More than you probably wanted to know in response to your question but I learned the trick someplace and wanted to share it here. :D
  • RainaProske
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Oh! Thank you! I'd forgotten all about brewers yeast. I need to get some -- loved it on popcorn.

For myself, I put my 1/4 cup of popcorn in a larger bowl, put a plate over it, and pop it for 4 minutes, 45 seconds. I like mine to have a teensy bit of a smoky flavor. To get that, I listen for it to quit popping, wait about 4 seconds more, then stop the cooking. I take the plate off the top immediately, to prevent sweating. I have to use a pot holder, because it is very hot. I put the bowl in a large "pot holder" to take it to my room, where I ravish it! It stays hot, because the bowl is hot forever!

I bought some popcorn salt the other day and over-salted the last bowl. :(
  • Hearts_2015
    Options
    I just Googled for fun and came up with this:

" 2 tablespoons or 1/8 cup of un-popped kernels equals about one quart (4 cups) popped corn (if all kernels pop)."

If I recall correctly 1/4 cup equals 4 T. So I actually want to be using an 1/8 cup (2T) in my microwave. Hm..I thought that was a lot of popcorn for one serving. LOL :blush:

Oops! I typically weigh solids on the food scale but all this time I've been using a 1/4c or an 1/8c measuring container. Wonder what made me not catch on. I'm very curious now to see the difference. Might have to measure it this week out of curiosity.
  • healthy491
    Options
    So 100g of UNPOPPED pop corn is equal to 355 calories
  • Hearts_2015
    edited August 2016
    Options
    healthy491 wrote: »
    t01pus4sq9d5.jpg

http://www.drgourmet.com/askdrgourmet/foods/popcorn.shtml#.V6mKuqJ034Q

"100 grams of un-popped popcorn contains 375 calories, while 100 grams of popped has a similar amount at 387 calories. The difference is that 100 grams of un-popped kernels is about 1/3 cup and that will make a LOT of popped popcorn. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 13 cups.

Interestingly, popping corn is a particular type of corn with the kernels being tightly sealed - much different from the corn on the cob we eat. When they are heated the trapped moisture builds up and the kernels expand to about 15 times their original size. The kernels are much denser than yellow corn. A cup of yellow or white corn kernels of the kind we eat has only about 85 calories partly due to their much higher moisture content.

Not only is popcorn low in calories, it's really good for you. Three cups of air-popped popcorn has 4 grams of fiber but less than 100 calories."
    @healthy491
    Yes but 100g of dry popcorn turns into 13 cups of popped so that's a ton of popcorn unless you're sharing it with a bunch of ppl. Or not.. that's not that many cals if you plan it out and love popcorn. :wink:
  • healthy491
    Options
    t01pus4sq9d5.jpg

http://www.drgourmet.com/askdrgourmet/foods/popcorn.shtml#.V6mKuqJ034Q

"100 grams of un-popped popcorn contains 375 calories, while 100 grams of popped has a similar amount at 387 calories. The difference is that 100 grams of un-popped kernels is about 1/3 cup and that will make a LOT of popped popcorn. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 13 cups.

Interestingly, popping corn is a particular type of corn with the kernels being tightly sealed - much different from the corn on the cob we eat. When they are heated the trapped moisture builds up and the kernels expand to about 15 times their original size. The kernels are much denser than yellow corn. A cup of yellow or white corn kernels of the kind we eat has only about 85 calories partly due to their much higher moisture content.

Not only is popcorn low in calories, it's really good for you. Three cups of air-popped popcorn has 4 grams of fiber but less than 100 calories."
    @healthy491
    Yes but 100g of dry popcorn turns into 13 cups of popped so that's a ton of popcorn unless you're sharing it with a bunch of ppl. Or not.. that's not that many cals if you plan it out and love popcorn. :wink:

Thanks a lot for your help :) ! And yeah I have it instead of lunch