Gymphobia.... Tips to not look like a newbie?

Options
I'm a country girl from a little village and I don't deal well with crowds.... I have just signed up to a gym in Leeds city centre and I know it's going to be chaotically busy at the times I want to go (before college).... Any tips for not looking like a lost rabbit in the headlights? Also tips for making gym friends would be useful. Thanks

Replies

• jdawson002
    jdawson002 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I was really nervous when I first started at the gym but seriously there is no need to worry.

Nobody looks at anyone else as they are concentrating on what they are doing. Seriously, you will be absolutely fine once you are there
  • huango
    huango Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    Suggestions:
    - go there when it's not busy to get use to the layout, where the machines/stations/equipment that you would want use, do a few work-outs
    - then go when it's busy but use something such as the treadmill to observe the areas, how people in that gym interact, because each gym crowd is different
    - maybe sign up with a trainer who trains during the time that you plan to work out, so that when you come in, you have a friendly face to just say hi
    - take a few WO classes. My Zumba class instructor is really friendly and talks to everyone before and after class, so it was easy to get into the Zumba circle

When I first switched from the "aerobics classes" room to the "boys" room (where the free weights are), I felt quite out of my comfort zone with all these huge men and big plates.
    But I just kept coming back and slowly build up my confidence.

You can do it.
    Think of your end goals.
  • Lucy221
    Lucy221 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, inductions are at times that don't really suit me but I'm going straight into a spin class on my first visit and I've left myself time to do a few weights and have a good stretch after. It's a bit like going from primary up to big school for me.... Unfamiliar place, lots more people!
  • Vicxie86
    Vicxie86 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    jdawson002 wrote: »
    I was really nervous when I first started at the gym but seriously there is no need to worry.

Nobody looks at anyone else as they are concentrating on what they are doing. Seriously, you will be absolutely fine once you are there

I started strength training 2wks ago with no induction offered at the gym i sign up to and i have to say that i stare at almost everyone so i can get an idea of how to use the equipment :/ For now, i mostly work on my arms & legs which are my problem areas.
  • huango
    huango Posts: 1,007 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    spin classes:
    - not sure how yours is, but at my gym, people have specific preferences on which is their bike.
    - for my 1st spin class, I thought to go in early to stake a bike near the back left (close to the door, and not too close to the front row), but that was one of the regular's established bike.
    - So I basically had to wait until all the regulars got their bikes, and I was left with one in the front row on the right.

Being 4'11" w/ a too short inseam, I haven't done Spin again.
  • Lucy221
    Options
    Vicxie86 wrote: »

I started strength training 2wks ago with no induction offered at the gym i sign up to and i have to say that i stare at almost everyone so i can get an idea of how to use the equipment :/ For now, i mostly work on my arms & legs which are my problem areas.

Do people mind if you watch what they are doing? I guess it's a good way to learn though
  • oldschool8100
    oldschool8100 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    your better to ask the trainers how to do exercises or use equipment you unsure of. Watching someone do the exercise wrong there YOU doing the exercise wrong will be worse for you than not doing it at all especial if you hurt your back. maye 1 personal training session would get you moving in the right direction.
  • kms151209
    kms151209 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I was worried when I first started going, but once you're there you realise everyone is there for the same reason with different outcomes. Everyone has to start somewhere, and we all start at the same stage as a beginner!

There should always be staff in the gym bag can answer any questions you have or any advice, or even show you how to properly use a piece of equipment that you're hoping to use! I wouldn't worry too much, I just stick my headphones in and let the music do its job ☺️
  • VeganMagpie
    VeganMagpie Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel, the thought of going to a new gym really stresses me out but I realised once I forced myself through the door that no one was even looking at me to judge me! Everyone was new to the gym/fitness once.

Maybe find some other people in the fitness class to smile awkwardly at and maybe make friends with. Going with another person definitely reduces the anxiety for me.

• kchartinc
    kchartinc Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Go in with a plan! Write down your workout/track it in an app and take it with you every time you go. Then you will know exactly what you need to do and what distance/time/weight/etc. you did last time so you don't waste time trying to remember. It also helps to research your exercise before hand and practice it at home so when you go and add weight you have good form and don't hurt yourself.
  • DeadsAndDoritos
    DeadsAndDoritos Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    huango wrote: »
    spin classes:
    - not sure how yours is, but at my gym, people have specific preferences on which is their bike.
    - for my 1st spin class, I thought to go in early to stake a bike near the back left (close to the door, and not too close to the front row), but that was one of the regular's established bike.
    - So I basically had to wait until all the regulars got their bikes, and I was left with one in the front row on the right.

Being 4'11" w/ a too short inseam, I haven't done Spin again.

Did someone actually say it was "their" bike? That's ridiculous!
  • 4thDegreeKnight
    4thDegreeKnight Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    To be honest, the muscle heads and gym rats usually have respect for newbies because they did the same walk you did. All you need to do is be respectful and use some basic etiquette - re-rack your weights, carry a towel and wipe down your seat when done, ask if you are unsure someone is using the equipment you want.

Routine helps, I was always in the gym from 7-8am and after two weeks if I was working out next to someone I saw all the time, I would make some comment like "Hey, I've seen you here the past two weeks - your form is great, how long you been at it?" or something to the like, keep it short and be friendly. After a while we would wave at each other from across the gym.

Have the semblance of a plan and it doesn't need to be detailed, like - I plan to warm up 10 minutes, Walk 20 minutes on the treadmill, strength train 20 minutes, and stretch/cool down 10 minutes. Just walking with purpose, even if you don't know how to use the equipment, will put you at ease.

I also second asking the staff about equipment you are curious of, they often will give tips on form you wouldn't pick up from watching someone on the machine.

Now you are going to look like a newbie for your first 4-6 visits and that is OK. That makes you awesome for trying, sticking it out, and making progress. When gymrats see the newbie stay and work at it - that earns more respect.

I will say, with the exception of one gym that was cliquish in the 10 years I have gone off and on - regular gymrats are the nicest people you will meet and very willing to help. Just show respect, some basics of etiquette, work hard, and friendliness.
  • Lucy221
    Options
    Thanks for all your tips guys, I'll let you know how it goes!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,594 Member
    Options
    It's always best to get an intro if you've never gym'd before. At least that way you can see how adjustments are made on machines and ensure that your form is right. Nothing worse than trying to do an exercise wrong and keep doing it that way.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    get an intro from the staff.
    if you want to use machines, you can ask for instruction.
    i have just gone and poked around to get the layout and feel for a gym before i go with the intent of exercising. since that makes me more confident in what i do

otherewise. no one really cares what you are doing. people might look but they aren't judging, just observing.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Arrive at class a few minutes early & introduce yourself to instructor & ask for tips. Pace yourself during class & adjust as needed for your fitness level.
    You are a newbie and if u out try to disguise it, you will look even more like a newbie. There are newbies in the gym everyday, so don't stress about it.
    Have fun!
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    It isn't grade school, and there is nothing wrong with being "new" in fact there is everything RIGHT with being new. Good for you... and congratulations on making this positive choice. Like other posters have suggested... ask about an orientation sessions... safety first...second... define your fitness goals YOU are there for a reason... the better you are able to define your goals the easier it will be for you to focus on making your gym time productive... Spin Classes (typically) emphasize HIIT... which in my opinion isn't a great starting place for people new to fitness training... My 15 year old daughter decided to take a SPIN class she lasted 15 minutes before she left with a nose bleed and swore she would never do that again... If it were my money, and I was wondering what my goals ought to be I would talk to the "desk" to identify whether or not they conduct fitness assessments... it is probably an extra cost... but one that will help you create and achieve goals...they may have a "canned program" for new members... that is a modest circuit program printed on a card that itemizes a number of exercises for you to work through until you are familiar and competent on their machines...
  • justinstuart99705
    justinstuart99705 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    A good app to look into is Jefit, they also have a website www.jefit.com, Great App, you can pick what exercises you want to do and they demo how to do it. It will also track your weights, what days you want to go etc. You can also download routines (beginner, intermediate, advanced) etc.

Also, like many said, don't worry about looking like a newbie, who cares? I'm usually workout at home but run and do some weight machines on the guy on the Air Force Base I work at and unless I see someone I know I don't pay attention to others and have seen it's the same.
  • fitgamercatlady
    fitgamercatlady Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I can't offer much help about taking classes, but I do have experience if you're doing weight training. YouTube is your best friend when trying to figure out what kind of exercises you want to do and how to do them. I'm a bit of a recluse myself so I understand your frustration!