Household Beasts -- Especially the Wild Ones

Options
RainaProske
RainaProske Posts: 636 Member
Adventures in the night! Got up to make some tea, when I heard odd sounds coming from the back yard. I turned on the back lights and tried to see what was going on, when a large raccoon came from the carport. HUGE raccoon! It was making sounds, but it quickly became obvious that it was not the only one chattering. I grabbed a flashlight to try to look around but found nothing. Thinking it would stop, I took my tea and went back to bed.

Couldn't stay! Got up. Went outside to find what was going on. Couldn't. Went upstairs and tried to see. Couldn't. It was literally screaming!

My noise disturbed my husband, and he suggested that the little beastie may have gotten in the cat trap. Ah! Of course! I didn't know they had been left, set! Sure enough. I went outside, and there the little guy was -- young raccoon. My husband came out and let it loose.

Just so you'll know why we are catching cats in traps, we have tons of feral cats I feed, so we catch them all and take them in to be fixed. The kittens get adopted out to local homes, but we bring the adults back to our house.

Replies

• rebel_26
    rebel_26 Posts: 1,826 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your service of trying to stop the stray population issues we face. I have dogs which are house pets and a fenced yard and also fixed all mine as I don't want to be part of the stray perpetuation
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Please don't tell my girlfriend about the free kittens.
  • llaurenmarie
    llaurenmarie Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Definitely thought this said Household Breasts
  • rebel_26
    Options
    Ever watch ridiculousness? Steelo is deathly afraid of raccoons...another useless fact you can carry with you on your life long journey.
  • RainaProske
    Options
    Villae81 wrote: »
    You didn't take the raccoon in?

No -- the traps and service at the Humane Society are only for stray domesticated animals. Also, the raccoon was very young and needed to be with its mother.
  • RainaProske
    Options
    rebel_26 wrote: »
    Ever watch ridiculousness? Steelo is deathly afraid of raccoons...another useless fact you can carry with you on your life long journey.

Nope -- don't know about it, but that big momma raccoon was enough to make me nervous!
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I read the subject line and thought this was going to be a post where we could complain about our wild children...

I think we need one of those.
  • rebel_26
    Options
    LOL @ your child is a wild beast.
  • RainaProske
    Options
    Hee-hee-hee! I was wilder than either of my children ever were, so I know nothing about that! :)
    Rather, we feed 6-12 cats daily. The cat population can be different almost daily. We've been able to catch all the kittens that survived, and there's one female cat that we haven't been able to trap -- just too smart.

Regarding the raccoons, some of them can be mean, and we had some at one time that would kill the kittens and any cats they could catch. We trapped those and took them to the woods far away. When they seem fairly peaceable, we leave the raccoons alone, even though we have to fight them for our grapes and plums. Wish they'd eat the apples instead -- they aren't as good.