Body Recomp Delima

Options
I have been trying body recomp for about six months and have seen fairly mediocre results. I have been using machines as opposed to freeweights which I know isn't as good. Everyone tells me I should ditch the machines and that I'll never get the results I want using them.

However, the chief reason I use machines, aside from feeling more comfortable with them is that I don't have anyone to spot for me if I used freeweights - which I know would become a necessity as I progressed to heavier weights, leaving me with the eventual point where I would no longer be able to progress.

What should I do? Machines and know I can contumely progress and feel comfortable or freeweights and knowingly reach a pony where it will not be safe for me to progress? Can I ever achieve the fat loss and muscle building I want using just machines?

Replies

• louvig
    louvig Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I use a rack with safety bars and have been doing fine with heavy weights without a spotter. The safety bars are placed at the correct height to catch the bar safely in case of failure. See if your gym has one available.
  • jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I personally started with dumbbells before I transitioned to the bar: same movements as many of the machines, but it will target more muscle groups at once. You also don't need a spotter and can do many of the same exercises as you would with the barbell (OHP, Bench Press, Squats, Dead Lift). AND recomp takes a long time: I've been recomping since October 2015...
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Hi! I lift heavy by myself all the time. Instead of going to failure (where your spot would normally step in and help you with that last one), just go to the last rep before failure. You'll get the feel of it and you'll know.
  • sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,086 Member
    Options
    ^ That. You will feel on a rep if you can do another or not. If in doubt I don't push it unless I have a spotter. Better safe then sorry.

I also do not add weight quickly. I work till I can do my sets x 8-10 instead of 5-6 and then add in some more weight.
  • Riff1970
    Riff1970 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    You can also try "rest-pause" technique for free weights.

If your goal is 10 reps but you're not sure if you can do 8, 9 or 10 reps, do 5 or 6 reps and rack the weight. Rest 20-30 seconds and do 3 or 4 more reps and rack the weight. Rest 20-30 seconds more and do a few more reps. You can do as many rest-pauses as it takes. Usually I do 1 or 2 rests. It's all considered one set though.

I throw them in every now and then when I feel like it. Not every set.
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    It's "dilemma."
  • Kdp2015
    Kdp2015 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I personally started with dumbbells before I transitioned to the bar: same movements as many of the machines, but it will target more muscle groups at once. You also don't need a spotter and can do many of the same exercises as you would with the barbell (OHP, Bench Press, Squats, Dead Lift). AND recomp takes a long time: I've been recomping since October 2015...
    Don't know why this has never occurred to me, I don't have a rack - are Dumbbells as good as a bar?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    louvig wrote: »
    I use a rack with safety bars and have been doing fine with heavy weights without a spotter. The safety bars are placed at the correct height to catch the bar safely in case of failure. See if your gym has one available.
    leajas1 wrote: »
    Hi! I lift heavy by myself all the time. Instead of going to failure (where your spot would normally step in and help you with that last one), just go to the last rep before failure. You'll get the feel of it and you'll know.

Yep, all of this! I never have a spotter. I've even failed on squats and bench and had to let the catch bars "save" me. I have also asked random gym bros to spot me if I'm working a really heavy weight, and they always do.
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options

Yep, all of this! I never have a spotter. I've even failed on squats and bench and had to let the catch bars "save" me. I have also asked random gym bros to spot me if I'm working a really heavy weight, and they always do.

The advantage of dumbbells is that you dont really need a catch bar. You can simply let your arms fall to the side. I also think that dumbbell bench press utilizes a greater range of motion then the regular bench press so ti is also going to utilize more stabilizing muscles and access your pecs in a more complete way.
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    Options

Right - guys (and girls) in the gym are helpful like that. You just have to get over your shyness (if that's a problem).
  • ObsidianMist
    ObsidianMist Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    you don't need a spotter. squat racks have bars built in that allow you to just let the bar fall down onto them as you wiggle out from under it, and for bench press just don't use the collars outside the weights, and if you get stuck, you just tilt the bar to one side and the weights will fall off that end and you won't be trapped under the bar.
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I lift alone all the time--when I'm pushing my limits with squats, I ask some random big dude to spot me while he's resting between sets. So far everyone has been super nice and encouraging. I usually try and ask the older big guys, and they always oblige and for some reason they seem more approachable to me than the massive younger guys.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

The advantage of dumbbells is that you dont really need a catch bar. You can simply let your arms fall to the side. I also think that dumbbell bench press utilizes a greater range of motion then the regular bench press so ti is also going to utilize more stabilizing muscles and access your pecs in a more complete way.

...never mind.
  • kaylasaurus
    kaylasaurus Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I agree with the general sentiment - also please note re-comping takes a long time. It look me about a year to go from 22% bf to 17% .
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Just a copy paste of my reply to you in your other thread. .....

If you are not making any progress in your recomp maybe look at one of the programmes listed in the link below.
    If you prefer the machines -

Squat= leg press
    Bench press= chest press
    Bent over row= seated row
    Dead lift= cable pull up
    Chin up= Lat pull down

These are not a one to one exercise translation, but do activate most of the same large muscle groups.
    There are lots more on line.

Machines won't give as good result as a barbell, but you may find doing the lower weight or warm up sets with hand weights helps you move on to using the barbell in the future.

My gym only has a 45lbs bar. This is way too heavy for me to squat or bench with so I use a body bar to develop squat form and the leg press to strengthen my legs for the day I can squat 45lbs.

Same with a bench press. No way I am going to try a 45lbs bar, so I do hand weight benches for form, the chest press to build strength.

As a machine weight chest press doesn't translate over to barbell bench press at the same weight look at going over the lowest weight bar you have available.

Following a set progressive compound lifting programme will guide you in upping your reps or weights to get the best results.

Cheers, h.

Lifting programmes-

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I don't see anything wrong with machines. I've had good results with them.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I'd be more worried about form than needing a spot at this point. I've been lifting heavy for a couple years and I rarely need a spotter. You won't be lifting that close to your 1rm very often.
  • bfanny
    bfanny Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I'm using the "machines" due to lower back pain and by my chiropractor's recommendation, I keep increasing the weight, I can see definition, so far I'm very pleased with my results :smile: