Gaining weight after one night of indulgence?

Options
2»

Replies

• leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I ate something salty last night and I'm up 1.8 lbs today. It's just water retention.
  • kellyiris6
    kellyiris6 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    This past weekend I just didn't keep track, terrible.... I know! I just wanted eat pizza, tater totes, drink beer and not worry about tracking for a night with my friends. I feel the guilt now, I stepped on the scale and gained 5 lbs. I feel like you and had to go to this forum and see if there were similar experiences. I feel better after reading the comments, thank you everyone. I know my weight fluctuates 1-3 but 5 lbs freaked me out. The biggest thing for me is to get back on my horse, right now I feel so discouraged (I was at 16 lbs weight loss, now I'm at 11 lbs). Hoping my weight will go normal which I think it will once I go back to my routine.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Body weight fluctuates for numerous reasons.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    My body weight can fluctuate 2 pounds from day to day without indulging, depending on heat, humidity, how active I've been, and how much sodium is in the food I eat. It's water weight; nothing to worry about.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,738 Member
    Options
    kellyiris6 wrote: »
    This past weekend I just didn't keep track, terrible.... I know! I just wanted eat pizza, tater totes, drink beer and not worry about tracking for a night with my friends. I feel the guilt now, I stepped on the scale and gained 5 lbs. I feel like you and had to go to this forum and see if there were similar experiences. I feel better after reading the comments, thank you everyone. I know my weight fluctuates 1-3 but 5 lbs freaked me out. The biggest thing for me is to get back on my horse, right now I feel so discouraged (I was at 16 lbs weight loss, now I'm at 11 lbs). Hoping my weight will go normal which I think it will once I go back to my routine.

If a person has a mini-freak-out over something like this, I'd suggest estimating logging from memory, using some of the (higher-side) MFP database entries for similar foods, and guessing high on portions as well. It'll provide a sort of "worst case impact" number. For most of us, it's difficult in one meal to get to the 3500 over maintenance calories that it takes to gain one pound for real, let alone 7000 over maintenance to gain two.

Personally, I prefer to log all days, even over-calorie-goal days (I don't consider it cheating, so I won't call it that). If I don't feel like logging at the time (<cough> prolly cuz of the craft beer <cough>), I just scribble some stuff down on a notepad for later, and do some estimating. It's led to some useful post-event thinking about which things are worth it, and which aren't.

But it's fine just to realize that if this sort of thing doesn't happen very often, and one gets back on a healthy track as soon as possible, it's going to have negligible effect on reaching one's long-term goals. Self-recrimination and drama about it aren't helpful.
  • kellyiris6
    kellyiris6 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thanks @AnnPT77 I appreciate the feedback, I can be hard on myself. I shouldn't, because like you said, it is not helpful in the long run. I didn't plug in my Saturday night calories, but I will now just to get idea for future decisions and to see how much in general I consumed.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    It's so normal. And just a heads up, when your cycle comes you're going to gain water weight then too. I always do, and it doesn't help that I always crave Chinese food during my TOM.

It's no big deal. It all evens out. Look at the overall trend of weight loss and let that be your guide. As long as you have an overall downward trend, you're doing great. A good website to use is trendweight.com.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Raptor2763 wrote: »
    My guess is the spices and preservatives used in the food you ate at the restaurant contributed to your fluid retention. Next time, you might want to tell the waiter "no spices" on whatever you're ordering. In the meantime, you can flush out the retained fluid by drinking water with LOTS of lemon juice (I use 3 parts water, 1 part lemon juice). Should be flushed out in the next day or two.

All of this is totally unnecessary... Why would anyone want to take the flavor out of their food by telling the servers at a restaurant to have the chef omit the spices?

OP and others, this is totally normal water weight fluctuations. You didn't eat 7000 cals above your maintenance level so you didn't gain 2 lbs of fat from one meal. The longer you do this the more you will get used to your body's natural fluctuations from things like TOM, restaurant meals, hormones, etc. I'm in maintenance and my weight fluctuates 2-3 lbs every single week, still.