Decision time

Options
I am 12.6 pounds from my ultimate goal ( I've lost 55 lbs since December 2015). I usually do 60 minutes of elliptical 5 days a week ( if my house is too hot I do 30 minutes ) I also do 3 days of toning cords with the hubby a week ( covers :arms, shoulders, back, legs, chest). I also do abs.

I'm at a crossroads. I am thinking about doing 30 minutes of elliptical and do something like but not necessarily...maybe the 30 day arms challenge and the squat challenge. My arms could use some help and my legs as well. I have never been a strong person. Don't care to be now just toned would be good. I also have dumb bells available in my home. So I could incorporate those. Gym membership is out. So please no suggestions for that.

So why decision time? I don't want to over do it with adding dumb bell or challenges where I do the toning cords and I don't want to do anything that would halt my progress so close to my goal. Do you people think cutting cardio to 30 minutes 5 times a week will halter my progress? Would adding extra strength be too much on top of the toning cords? I know there are tons of YouTube videos and fitness blender as well as bodybuilding.com has some good dumb bell and body weight exercises. So if anyone on MFP has been where I am at, I would love to hear from you.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    If you cut your cardio, you need to be prepared to cut your calories as well. Your added dumbbell work will burn calories, as all physical activity does, but it may be fewer than the elliptical.

Rather than a squat or arm challenge, I would add dumbbells to your resistance band days. How heavy are your dumbbells?
  • hypodonthaveme
    hypodonthaveme Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    My dumb bells right now go up to 25 pounds each or I can add the whole 50 pounds to one if I am working 1 arm at a time.

I don't want to cut my calories. I am happy with the 1400-1450 calories I eat a day. It isn't too much and it isn't too little. I am never hungry and I am losing weight. MFP has me at 1200 but I like to eat 200 of my exercise calories back. So I think I will keep my elliptical at 60 minutes.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Are you currently progressing on your "toning cords"? I might start with adding resistance to the bands and stick with the cardio.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    If you cut your cardio, you need to be prepared to cut your calories as well. Your added dumbbell work will burn calories, as all physical activity does, but it may be fewer than the elliptical.

Rather than a squat or arm challenge, I would add dumbbells to your resistance band days. How heavy are your dumbbells?

All of this
  • LPflaum
    LPflaum Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Do you have the ability to intersperse your cardio and lifting? ie 10-15 minutes of very intense interval training (should include a good amount of sprinting), then 10-15 minutes of strength, back to interval, etc? That would allow you to incorporate more strength training, but will keep your heart rate in an aerobic zone so you burn even more calories while you lift.
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I think it's a good idea to mix things up in order to keep your body working instead of falling into a rut. Maybe go to YouTube for awhile and do total-body dumbbell exercises for about 30-40 minutes per session 2-3 times per week instead of the cords.
  • hypodonthaveme
    hypodonthaveme Posts: 215 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Thank you all so very much. Love your wisdom. I will definitely add dumb bell exercises to my toning days. You all have given me the knowledge I needed. I will also look into some YouTube videos to alternate dumb bell and toning cords. The set of toning cords I have have 3 that are different resistance that I can use by themselves or put the 3 together and get a super tough workout. Not sure of the exact resistance, I don't have the paper handy. Reading all your responses have gotten me super excited. Thank you all. Muchly appreciated.