Under desk elliptical vs full size elliptical?

Options
A few weeks ago I purchased a small elliptical that fits under my desk at work. I use it every day and love it so far. I also have a full size Nautilus elliptical at home the I use for about half an hour every evening.
My question is, how many calories are burned per hour on an under desk elliptical? I feel it at the end of the day but it's definitely not as intense of a workout as my full size elliptical but the calorie burn calculator says I burn about the same...which doesn't seem correct.

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    When I wondered how many calories are burned standing at a standing desk, I googled for "standing desk calories". Try googling for "under desk elliptical calories".
  • queenofpuppies
    queenofpuppies Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    which under desk did you get? I'm shopping around for something like that and don't know what to do.
  • lujako
    lujako Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    wow, never heard of these! thanks! I found the following cal calculator deskcycle.com/CalorieCalculator.html
  • stephaniej2888
    stephaniej2888 Posts: 93 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I got the Stamina In-motion. I got it off Amazon for $89.
    It's kind of heavy and awkward to carry so if you are allowed to have things delivered to your office I would recommend that lol.
    I work in a paper mill and I have to go through a turnstile and walk a freaking mile to get to my office with it and it was awful lol
    But now that it's in here it works great :)
  • rebel_26
    rebel_26 Posts: 1,826 Member
    Options
    I dont get the under the desk elliptical since elliptical exercise was developed intending as a low impact cross training device intended to work both the upper and lower body. Also serves as a means to inhibit osteoporosis.

Im not knocking it I just dont understand how or why they call it an elliptical other than the motion it affords. I assume it works core a little but more so legs only.
  • stephaniej2888
    Options
    Yes it's mainly legs but if your chair has wheels you use your core some to lol. I'm sure it's just the motion that gives it the "elliptical" label. Like I said I have a regular elliptical at home and use it daily but I have a fulltime desk job so that's 8 hours a day sitting on my butt. This was a good piece of equipment to help keep me moving throughout the day.
    The one that I have can also be used standing as well. One of my coworkers has a standing desk with this infront of it.
  • rebel_26
    rebel_26 Posts: 1,826 Member
    Options
    lol standing must be awkward.
  • stephaniej2888
    Options
    I tried mine standing and almost fell off..haha
    I'm not the most gracefull person to start with though lol