Beginners Exercise Routine

Options
Hi does anyone have any fun exercise routines for beginners? What did you start out with? I know losing weight is about diet more than exercise but I want to incorporate some kind of exercise routine. And when I say beginner I really do mean beginner. I tried riding my bike yesterday and about killed myself after 3 miles. :p

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    i would suggest getting on a structured beginner lifting program like strong lifts or all pro beginner routine. you can google the exercises to get proper form, and/or take a few lessons with a PT to get form down. This will give you a great into to strength training and build a foundation of strength.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    i would suggest getting on a structured beginner lifting program like strong lifts or all pro beginner routine. you can google the exercises to get proper form, and/or take a few lessons with a PT to get form down. This will give you a great into to strength training and build a foundation of strength.

This^^ and walking
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    C25k
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    For a complete and total beginner, I suggest starting with walking. This was my progression, exercise-wise:

Month 1 -walking. Started w/15-20 minutes 3x/wk. Added 5 minutes each week.
    Month 2 - moved to couch 2 5k run/walk program.
    Month 3 - started Nerd Fitness bodyweight circuit 3x/wk on non-walk/run days
    Month 5 - switched from Nerd Fitness to startbodyweight.com basic bodyweight program
    Month 7 - switched from bodyweight to lifting, using a full body dumbbell program designed for me by a trainer
    Month 10 - switched to more barbell-based lifting
  • Raptor2763
    Raptor2763 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    P90X has something called the "10-minute workout" It's on YouTube. You won't kill yourself, it's short, sweet and will get you ramped up for the next level. Also, I'd consult Nutrition Authority for their articles on diet and exercise for beginners. Everyone's got different opinions, but I find theirs makes the most sense.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I started out with walking around my neighborhood. then I started walking and jogging around my neighborhood. Now I just run.. But during the walking, I started with light weights that I had laying around, then I started work out videos all the way to doing strength training programs..

for lifting programs might want to look at these..

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    You biked yesterday. 3 miles that's a great start. I would alternate walking 20-30 minutes every other day with biking. Take 2 rest days off a week.

Vary your biking. Go slower and longer some days, faster and shorter others. add in some hills. Get a friend to bike and/or walk with you.
    Exercise does help reduce weight and it also firms up your body.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,024 Member
    Options
    I started out by walking. There is a park near my house with a walking path and I take my dogs there every day. I then added in some beginning yoga dvd's. So far that is all the exercise I do.
  • mccraee
    mccraee Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    you should do whatever you love. If you're just starting think about all the things you can do to get yourself "hooked" on exercise. Some questions to ask yourself

do you like to be outside or in?
    in a gym, pool, track, at home or somewhere else?
    do you like to workout by yourself or with a friend or with a group?
    music or silence or movies?
    do you get bored easily or will you be happy doing the same kind of thing every day?
    do you want to figure things out yourself or have someone (a coach) tell you what to do?
    do you like gadgets like watches, pedometers?
    do you like any sports? tennis? softball? if so include them
    do you like working with equipment (elliptical, treadmill, weights, bands, etc.)?
    have you ever loved exercise? if so what were you doing then, where, with whom?

Once you've thought about it set yourself up with something but think of it as a starter. Every day, try to figure out what you could do to make it more fun. The trick is to keep doing it. 6-8 weeks of consistent exercise and I think you'll feel attached to it.

Also during this time figure out how to eliminate as many excuses as possible. If I'm planning a class after work, I often find myself thinking errands are more important. The way I drive that excuse out is to exercise in the morning. Having towels provided at the gym was once very important to me. I pack my bag and my breakfast the night before so I don't get sidetracked. All of these things were implemented to drive out some excuse or derailer.

Only after a few months of consistent exercise would I even think of how to exercise "better". In the beginning you just want to figure out how to get hooked and to drive out all the excuses.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I started by gradually increasing my steps and tracking with fitbit. I went from 5-6k a day to 10k. Also, SWORKIT is a free app with easy do anywhere workouts 5-30 minutes long. I'd recommend downloading it and starting with 5-10 minutes a day then work up to more in addition to walking.
  • BillMcKay1
    BillMcKay1 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    The most important thing IMO is striving for consistency. Find something you like doing or a combination of somethings, cycling, walking, lifting, yoga, workout dvds(or whatever) set a schedule and stick to it. The more you do it the more of a habit it will become.

My wife and I started back in mid May.5 days a week. 5:30am for a 3K walk then planking when we get back + lifting 3x a week Stronglifts 5x5. Rain or shine. #noexcuses. It's not easy getting up at 5:30am, but it is just ingrained now. Don't even think about it anymore. Alarm goes off, shoes go on and away we go.

Finding something you like is so important to being able to stick with things. If you hate running and force yourself to run because you think that you "need" to, you most likely will not be able to keep it as part of your lifestyle.
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    As corny as it sounds, Richard Simmons Sweatin to the Oldies got me moving. Anything movement is better than no movement. 6 days per week and rest on Sunday's.