Question About Lifting

Options
kevinf2380
kevinf2380 Posts: 256 Member
I'm looking into getting more definition and bulk. I started out on a heavier weight lifting program but I have a concern. I'm used to doing a lot of different exercises and reps where this new program has me doing maybe 5-6 exercises at a time and hardly any sets or reps. Usually each exercise is 3sets of 6-8 reps. It also focuses on specific body parts per day where my other workouts have been full body. My concern is that maybe I'm not doing enough. My workouts are going from 40min to 30 or less. My main question is how do you know you've done a great chest, bicep or back workout? I remember as a teenager we'd say if you can't touch your shoulders that's a good bicep workout, can't touch elbows that's a good chest one and so on. Is there some kind of indicator like that or is that still good to go by?

My last question is on lifting itself. On my last set should my last rep be close to failure. Or should I be able to get it done just with maximum effort, sorry if these are noob questions.

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Is your program a progressive program where you add weight to the lifts as you successfully complete an exercise?
  • kevinf2380
    Options
    Is your program a progressive program where you add weight to the lifts as you successfully complete an exercise?

Yes, it that type of workout.

• quiksylver296
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I worked Stronglifts for a year - same idea. Increased strength significantly, and was rarely sore, due to the progression. If you want definition and bulk, though, you need a program that incorporates hypertrophy. Maybe this thread can help answer your question...

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

One other thing...give whatever program you choose a chance to work, at least three months (4-6 months is better), before you try something else.
  • kevinf2380
    Options
    I worked Stronglifts for a year - same idea. Increased strength significantly, and was rarely sore, due to the progression. If you want definition and bulk, though, you need a program that incorporates hypertrophy. Maybe this thread can help answer your question...

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

One other thing...give whatever program you choose a chance to work, at least three months (4-6 months is better), before you try something else.

That's the hard part. I'm really impatient and want to see instant results. I understand it takes work to get quality results. It's just hard to let myself enjoy the right now and not think about where I want to be. Thanks for the link.
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    kevinf2380 wrote: »

That's the hard part. I'm really impatient and want to see instant results. I understand it takes work to get quality results. It's just hard to let myself enjoy the right now and not think about where I want to be. Thanks for the link.

No such thing. Just remember you are doing more harm than good (toward your goal) by jumping from program to program.