Breaking a bad habit

Options
I guess if we are trying to lose weight then if you are like me, there may be a bad habit or two, etc...that you have had to break. I can change most any of my habits except one---Mt Dew. Yeah right---it is the one with the most sugar/caffeine! I have tried so many different ways it is unreal. Any suggestions! What was yours and how did you make the change stick?

Replies

• rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Diet Mountain Dew? I found it pretty similar in taste.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Diet mt dew?
  • Cchioles
    Cchioles Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Is The Bad Habit Too Many Mt Dews? If Its One A Day, I Think You'd Be Able To Fit It In Without Putting You Back... It's Not The Mt Dew That's Bad, Its The Lack Of Moderation Some People Find Themselves Lacking... Take That Into Consideration, And Maybe Youll Find Youll Be Able To Still Enjoy It While Making Progress!
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Diet Mtn. Dew. Mix half diet and half regular for a while if need be. Make a deal with yourself that you have to drink 1 full glass of water before having soda. Just keep trying, but make small changes at a time if that works better.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    You just need to decide what is important to your goals. I liked sweet iced tea but gave it up and actually like unsweet tea now. I personally don't think diet sodas are much better than the real thing. I heard about a study on how diet sodas and type 2 diabetes may have a link but didn't read the whole thing. My bad habit is beer or booze in general and I haven't tried to give it up yet. Instead I have found a workaround, I run. If I run 5 times a week totaling 25 miles or more I can still lose weight and drink. So yes, I decided that staying slim and drinking are both important to me. You gotta quit or make it work but I vote you quit.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    Another vote for Diet Mtn. Dew. Mix half diet and half regular for a while if need be. Make a deal with yourself that you have to drink 1 full glass of water before having soda. Just keep trying, but make small changes at a time if that works better.

This^

I did this step down approach with sweet tea vs. unsweetened tea. Buy 2 - 12 packs of Mt Dew (one regular, one diet). Have 6 oz each diet & regular. Save the other "halves" for later in the day. You've averaged 2 sodas a day for a total of 170 calories. That should fit.

If you want to try a different flavor: 10 calorie sodas have great flavor. Just a little sugar to get you past the fake sugar taste. Dr. Pepper 10...yum!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    I used to drink 3-4 cans of fizzy pop a day.
    Cut it out cold turkey.

Went to Rome, only knew how to say-Agua minerale con gas. That was the end of fizzy pop for me. By the time I got home 3 weeks later I was a fizzy water drinker.
    It wasn't the sugar or caffeine I wanted it was the fizz.

I did learn a tad more Italian when I was there.

Cheers, h.
  • llbrixon
    llbrixon Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Quit COLD TURKEY! I drank at least 6-8 cans a day and I quit and started drinking water. This was back in November 2015. I drink hot tea in the morning for my caffeine.
  • brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I lost 90lbs, I used to drink quite a bit of soda, i switched to diet and it didn't hinder my weightloss at all...surely just switching to diet probably offset several hundred daily calories immediately too, that could alone make you lose 1-2lbs a week if you drink a lot.

I still drink soda, but i drink much more water now though but i really like the mio flavored waters or crystal light.
  • tamms_1965
    tamms_1965 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I would say to not switch to diet. That's just trading one bad habit for another one. Cut back over a period of a month or so. I switched to unsweetened teas with a little bit of stevia on work day mornings and seltzer water rest of day. I don't know about Mt. Dew, but there is Coke Life (stevia and cane sugar mix).