Chest pains during HIIT

Options
I've been doing a lot of HIIT recently but today whilst doing sprints I got some shooting chest pains. Is this to be expected?

Replies

• inezbruce
    inezbruce Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Please no scare mongoring if you aren't 100% sure lol
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Was it indigestion? Did you eat too soon before your workout? Did you have pain anywhere else?
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    That depends on the pain. I have chest type pain that seems like it'd be similar to a heart related issue. But, I can identity that the pain increases with pressure and a deep breaths. I had 2 EKGs and a stress test because I thought my HR was irregular/fast and there seemed to be some related pain. It wasn't, my HRM wasn't tight enough and seems it run higher than average. Pain? *shrugs* probably not heart related in my case.

It is easy to automatically think it's heart. Mine seems to be intercostal muscle pain. Or maybe just radiating gas pain. Know of a fella that was actually medi flighted out with cardiac symptoms that turned out to be gas pain.

If you are concerned enough to put it to the mfp masses, might bring it up with your doc. EKGs are cheap.

Good luck!
  • inezbruce
    Options
    I know I'm just a worrier, I know it's probably nothing but..
    @fr33sia12 I hadn't eaten before, i went to the gym at 2 but hadn't had chance to eat before. The pain was just in my chest, on my highest speed there was a sharp pain, I ignored the first one and it happened again so I stopped. Then it felt like a slight ache in my chest but I don't know if I was just worrying...
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You think someone on the internet can diagnose chest pain??
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    After messing up my knee when I didn't pay attention to pain. I suggest you listen to your body, there's pain when exercising and than there's injury pain and that's what that sounds like. Talk to your doctor before starting a exercise regimen.
  • inezbruce
    Options

@TavistockToad ... I'm sure there are some doctors on here... Nevertheless I was just wondering if anyone on here had a similar experience or did a lot of HIIT to pass judgement

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I had a similar experience once, turned out to be that I drank my water too fast from a sports bottle (the kind that vents air into the water as you drink) during exercise and was gulping too much air in the process. Gas pain can be brutal. It hasn't happened to me again since. Visiting a doctor would be your best bet, though. Even a doctor on the internet would not be able to diagnose anything without an actual check up.
  • butt9182
    butt9182 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    If you had the chest pain and were able to continue exercising it probably isn't related to your heart
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    inezbruce wrote: »

@TavistockToad ... I'm sure there are some doctors on here... Nevertheless I was just wondering if anyone on here had a similar experience or did a lot of HIIT to pass judgement

No doctor would diagnose over the internet anymore than I could give accurate tax advice.....it would be a breach of professional ethics.

I've had side stitches during HIIT that could be confused with chest pain. No dizziness or lingering shortness of breath? Probably something transient and not to be worried about but if it happens again or you're worried about it talking to your Dr would be the best bet.