Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Doing keto diet as a vegetarian, words of wisdom?

2»

Replies

• ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    OP it is possible to be vegetarian and keto. If you're allowed eggs and tuna, then load up on that for protein. There's also tofu, tofurkey and spam. Or just get protein powder. Load up on green veggies like spinach and broccoli, arugula and don't forget to add the fats like cream, whole milk cheeses and yogurts. It can be hard, but it's not impossible.
  • MarkusDarwath
    MarkusDarwath Posts: 393 Member
    OP it is possible to be vegetarian and keto. If you're allowed eggs and tuna, then load up on that for protein. There's also tofu, tofurkey and spam.

Spam is pork. Nothing remotely vegetarian about it.

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Not keto nor vegetarian, but damn, this sounds difficult.

Is it possible?

It is possible. You just replace the meats with things like tofu or soy products. I did a small stint with vegetarian keto. Basically just used tofu/tofurkey in place of meats and doubled up on eggs. I was able to still have tuna, so that helped a bit, as well as spam. Would I ever do it again? Nah. I loves my chicken far too much!

That was not a stint at being vegetarian then. Spam is meat so is tuna
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member

Is it possible?

It is possible. You just replace the meats with things like tofu or soy products. I did a small stint with vegetarian keto. Basically just used tofu/tofurkey in place of meats and doubled up on eggs. I was able to still have tuna, so that helped a bit, as well as spam. Would I ever do it again? Nah. I loves my chicken far too much!

There's apparently more damned branches of vegetarianism than anything. I've seen plenty remark about being able to eat fish. The Spam thing, nah, that's a new one on me. Unless it's just the fact that it's so smashed into barely even being meat anymore, that she's cool with it. ;)
  • JShailen
    JShailen Posts: 184 Member
    OP it is possible to be vegetarian and keto. If you're allowed eggs and tuna, then load up on that for protein. There's also tofu, tofurkey and spam. Or just get protein powder. Load up on green veggies like spinach and broccoli, arugula and don't forget to add the fats like cream, whole milk cheeses and yogurts. It can be hard, but it's not impossible.

Spam and tuna cannot be included in a vegetarian diet. What you're suggesting just sounds like a very picky meat eater.

If you eat any kind of seafood and omit other meat then you are pescatarian. Once you add spam you're an omnivore.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member

Is it possible?

There's apparently more damned branches of vegetarianism than anything. I've seen plenty remark about being able to eat fish. The Spam thing, nah, that's a new one on me. Unless it's just the fact that it's so smashed into barely even being meat anymore, that she's cool with it. ;)

They're able to eat anything they like but if they do eat fish then they are not vegetarian, they are pescatarian. If they eat spam then they are omnivore and kidding themselves to think they are anything else.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited August 2016
    <-- Not vegetarian.
    Look at eco-Atkins for some ideas https://www.atkins.com/how-it-works/library/articles/the-eco-atkins-diet
    Reduce fruits and other carbs. Add lots of leafy greens, protein, and some fats (tofu has carbs, fats, protein)
    Congrats on your weight loss :mrgreen:
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    What has changed in the past 6 months and what are you doing? What do you eat/how much/how often? Any changes in exercise level? Do you do IMF?

Without having any idea what you are doing it's hard for words of wisdom. I just listened to a podcast the other day about a guy who lived off of fruits and nuts for over 50 years. He is a doctor and has a book out that I forgot to write down. He is over 80 and sharp as a tack, even drove a few hours into VT by himself for the podcast.

I would suggest looking into Abel James (Wild Diet/Fat Burning Man). I believe he has a lot of info on vegetarian stuff. Good Luck!