A visit with the psychic

Options
13»

Replies

• Dove0804
    Dove0804 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    tufel wrote: »
    "Do not ever get behind the wheel after a few drinks. And, watch how you take your medications very carefully. Only take them as prescribed -- ever! Don't mix alcohol and any medications...." She went on in this vein, until, finally, she ended with: "Because you have a poison line -- that's this line right here -- that is much like the poison lines that many alcoholics have!"
    Finally, she had said something that was not general, and not open to interpretation ("You're an introvert." Yeah, that's me! I hate talking in front of groups) and not something you could say to everyone.

Sorry, I don't buy it. That's still not very specific, and alcoholism is unfortunately not rare. If she said that to me, I might have thought "yeah, alcoholism runs in my family and I have considered suicide on more than one occasion by way of ingesting meds while I was drinking rum." Many people might be able to apply that statement to themselves (even just the term "poison"), and for those that don't, it's easily dismissed as "oh, I better avoid alcohol because I might become alcoholic". You can't disprove whether a tendency is there or not, and this lady got lucky and the statement hit home. There may have been other signs she picked up on (not saying you were slurring your words or anything), and your mannerisms could easily have clued her in that you were more introverted. You said yourself she started off with more general statements- even if you didn't verbalize anything she may be intuitive enough to read your movements/facial expressions/whatever and put some puzzle pieces together. You ended up honing in on something she said that hit home and you applied to yourself (YOU filled in the blanks), so it left you feeling unnerved.

(I really hope things are going well for you, though- alcoholism is a horrible monster- don't stop fighting it)
  • _birdie__
    _birdie__ Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    aommklg2r1tz.png
  • TheCrawlingChaos
    TheCrawlingChaos Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I'm still waiting for someone to take up James Randi's million dollar challenge ($1 million to anyone eho can prove they have supernatural abilities in a test constructed and agreed upon by both parties ahead of time) and come away with it the money. I'd even settle for them just not looking foolish and making excuses why they failed, but I haven't heard that happen yet.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Ive contemplated going, for fun. Havent though, b/c it seems like a waste of money
  • beagletracks
    beagletracks Posts: 6,034 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I think the power is real and possessed by a few, but that it must be awfully hard to find legitimate psychics. Most you will find are fakes who will tell you what you want to hear, but maybe that's what you want? That influence/suggestion might subtly shape the choices you make and help you find what you're looking for, whether the psychic is legitimate or not.

I wouldn't want to mess with the real thing.
  • beatlesfan31
    beatlesfan31 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Really? No Archer fans here? I thought for sure there would be some reference to Carol/Cheryl/Cristal/ and her "it's just like the gypsy woman said!"
  • VixxyLiss
    VixxyLiss Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I do believe that a lot of those who claim to be psychics are fakes and are preying on people's desperate desire to find out positive things, however saying that I saw a psychic 35 years ago on a sidewalk in San Francisco, I was on holiday with a group of other people and was killing time before the meet up time. This guy knew things about me and the relationship I was in at that point, he knew things that had already happened to me that very few people know even to this day, and he told me things about my future which have come to pass as he said. He also told me that he would only say what he was sure about and wouldn't pad it out with "possibly" "maybe" "perhaps". It was impossible for him to have known anything that he told me in advance as not only was I on holiday but I'm English and was travelling in the US for 7 weeks before returning home again.
  • lilthings1
    lilthings1 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    What is your opinion on psychic readings? Do you think they're all fake? I want to do one!

I believe some are good, but know lots are fakes. My oldest Daughter, was trained to be a psychic on 1 of their #800 numbers.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Dove0804 wrote: »
    tufel wrote: »
    "Do not ever get behind the wheel after a few drinks. And, watch how you take your medications very carefully. Only take them as prescribed -- ever! Don't mix alcohol and any medications...." She went on in this vein, until, finally, she ended with: "Because you have a poison line -- that's this line right here -- that is much like the poison lines that many alcoholics have!"
    Finally, she had said something that was not general, and not open to interpretation ("You're an introvert." Yeah, that's me! I hate talking in front of groups) and not something you could say to everyone.

Sorry, I don't buy it. That's still not very specific, and alcoholism is unfortunately not rare. If she said that to me, I might have thought "yeah, alcoholism runs in my family and I have considered suicide on more than one occasion by way of ingesting meds while I was drinking rum." Many people might be able to apply that statement to themselves (even just the term "poison"), and for those that don't, it's easily dismissed as "oh, I better avoid alcohol because I might become alcoholic". You can't disprove whether a tendency is there or not, and this lady got lucky and the statement hit home. There may have been other signs she picked up on (not saying you were slurring your words or anything), and your mannerisms could easily have clued her in that you were more introverted. You said yourself she started off with more general statements- even if you didn't verbalize anything she may be intuitive enough to read your movements/facial expressions/whatever and put some puzzle pieces together. You ended up honing in on something she said that hit home and you applied to yourself (YOU filled in the blanks), so it left you feeling unnerved.

(I really hope things are going well for you, though- alcoholism is a horrible monster- don't stop fighting it)

Rats!
    People always gotta rain on your parade......
  • lessismoreohio
    lessismoreohio Posts: 910 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I would not do it. I think it positions you to be influenced or preyed upon by unfriendly spirits / unfriendly entities.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    Sure. They're legit. Hey! You wanna buy my pet Unicorn?