Hungry at maintenance!

Options
2»

Replies

• esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Quality of the food you are eating would be my first guess.....and maybe up the fat and less carbs.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I'm a female and no where near 8%, but I am getting close to maintenance and find the more I bump up calories to slow weight loss (1200 increased to 1800 over a few months) the hungrier I am all the time. I'm not sure if this is a common, but I hear ya!
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I'm always hungry at maintenance too. Though, maintenance for me is only 1400 cals. Pretty measly if you ask me. I try to quiet the grumbly tummy with herbal tea and what not.... sigh, if I ever find an answer that doesn't make me fat I will def post it!
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Ladies, he has on a ring. LOL! :)
  • 49DegreesNorth
    49DegreesNorth Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    leejoyce31 wrote: »

I do.

But then again... :wink:

naaaha, just joking
  • 49DegreesNorth
    Options
    A random day of eating

Usually my breakfasts and lunches during the work week are consistent

Breakfast
    1-1/2 cups of Dixie Carb Counters Smaps Cereal (240 cals, 45gr protein, 24g carbs 6gr fat)
    1/2 cup oat meal (150cals, 5P / 27C / 3F)
    1 cup non fat greek yoghurt (130cals, 23P / 7C / 0F)
    1/2 cup 2% milk (120cals, 8P / 11C / 5F)
    Breakfast Totals 652cals (82P, 69C, 14F)

Lunch
    HUGE mixed salad, approx 5 cups if not more, coleslaw, kale, carrots, sweet corn, chick peas, cherry tomatoes with 4 cups of light tuna in water and waldemans no calorie dressing
    Lunch Totals 704cals (87P, 72C, 16F)

Dinner varies, my wife is an amazing cook and we never eat same thing in a week...
    usually if my calories or protein aren't enough I will eat later on a protein bar
    Last night was a cold rice and seafood salad, bresaola (lean raw beef ham), fresh mozzarella and tomato, thin sliced smoked salmon and grilled vegetables
    Dinner Totals 950cals (80P, 50C, 40F)

Total was 2,306cals (250P, 191C, 70F)

then I grabbed a Quest protein bar before bedtime 190cals, 21P, 20C, 9F

yes mommy, i did brush my teeth after... :lol:
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    A random day of eating

Breakfast
    1-1/2 cups of Dixie Carb Counters Smaps Cereal (240 cals, 45gr protein, 24g carbs 6gr fat)

Lunch
    HUGE mixed salad, approx 5 cups if not more, coleslaw, kale, carrots, sweet corn, chick peas, cherry tomatoes with 4 cups of light tuna in water and waldemans no calorie dressing

Dinner varies, my wife is an amazing cook and we never eat same thing in a week...
    usually if my calories or protein aren't enough I will eat later on a protein bar
    Last night was a cold rice and seafood salad, bresaola (lean raw beef ham), fresh mozzarella and tomato, thin sliced smoked salmon and grilled vegetables

Kudos for mentioning the wife. :)
  • 49DegreesNorth
    edited August 2016
    Options

yeah, well the work "cooking" and I don't go together. So I am very lucky to have a quasi-chef that takes care of my voracious appetite! And we eat an extremely healthy mediterranean diet (we were both born and raised in Italy and moved here 10 years ago...)
    Costs a fortune but worth every penny of it
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

... damn. :p
  • jdscrubs32
    jdscrubs32 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    A random day of eating

Breakfast

Lunch

We seem quite similar in what we have for the 3 meals. If you add in a piece of fruit or a handful of almonds for a mid morning snack like a banana and similar like an apple or again a handful of almonds for an afternoon snack which I do, you might feel less hungry in between meals.
  • jdscrubs32
    jdscrubs32 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    A random day of eating

Breakfast

Lunch

We seem quite similar in what we have for the 3 meals. If you add in a piece of fruit or a handful of almonds for a mid morning snack like a banana and similar like an apple or again a handful of almonds for an afternoon snack which I do, you might feel less hungry in between meals.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I go through long times of not being hungry when I'm eating between 500 to 250 below my TDEE. I found that whenever I raise my caloric intake I become hungrier. Its the exact opposite of what I expect, seems completely unatural, and so I am always disappointed.

I try various schemes to combat the hunger, higher protien with lower sugars, high carb vegetarian, low carb etc. etc. etc.

Nothing seems to change the fact that I can kill hunger by eating less and excite hunger by eating more.

My bf is 23%
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    The caffeine in all the coffee you drink could be an issue.

Article Excerpt:

"Always keep your caffeine intake below the 300 milligrams recommended for most healthy adults. Consuming caffeine in excess of 500 milligrams a day may result in unpleasant symptoms such as dizziness, headaches, anxiousness, irritability, upset stomach, increased heart rate and muscle tremors. Talk to your doctor if you routinely experience hunger pangs after consuming caffeine, and try to adopt a regular eating pattern to prevent dips in blood sugar."

From this article:
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/480357-does-caffeine-suppress-your-appetite/

You seem to have a great diet, but you're probably 3-5 times the amount of caffeine recommend for healthy adults mentioned in the article. Your feeling of hunger could really be upset stomach as mentioned or some other issue from the excess caffeine.

Might be someplace to look. Good luck.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I was gonna say up your calories slowly but you are already adding now. I would bet your maintenance calories are well over 3k.
  • hollen_carol
    hollen_carol Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    OMG. Gorgeous! Great work! I'm always hungry in maintenence too but when I looked at your pic I nearly died. I think it will be ok if you eat more. All those muscles take a lot of calories to keep them happy :)