Growing boys at puberty?

Options
2»

Replies

• goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a good idea to me.

"Protein's position at the top of the satiety hierarchy is fairly well accepted"
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0924224414002386
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,216 MFP Moderator
    Options
    JenHuedy wrote: »
    I have a 14 year old and 17 year old. We'd be broke if it wasn't for Costco. They are like sharks, constantly swimming through the kitchen, leaving nothing but dirty dishes and banana peels in their wake. Last night, the 14 year old ate 2 sloppy joes, 2 ears of corn, a large baked potato loaded with cheese and sour cream and then asked me what was for dessert as he put his plate in the sink. His 17 year old brother, who is currently 6'3", was the same way at his age, and grew 8 inches and put on over 40 pounds that year while staying the same waist size. They need food.

Oh my god! I literally laughed out loud at this and had to explain to my 15 and 12 year old sons why I was laughing. They eat so much (and sniff out all the 'hidden' treats, damn it)! I have no idea how one person can eat so much and not be the size of a whale.... and it gets worse? Mine aren't even (apparently) the right age yet. LOL! So serious question... when do they STOP eating anything not nailed down?
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    JustSomeEm wrote: »
    JenHuedy wrote: »
    I have a 14 year old and 17 year old. We'd be broke if it wasn't for Costco. They are like sharks, constantly swimming through the kitchen, leaving nothing but dirty dishes and banana peels in their wake. Last night, the 14 year old ate 2 sloppy joes, 2 ears of corn, a large baked potato loaded with cheese and sour cream and then asked me what was for dessert as he put his plate in the sink. His 17 year old brother, who is currently 6'3", was the same way at his age, and grew 8 inches and put on over 40 pounds that year while staying the same waist size. They need food.

Oh my god! I literally laughed out loud at this and had to explain to my 15 and 12 year old sons why I was laughing. They eat so much (and sniff out all the 'hidden' treats, damn it)! I have no idea how one person can eat so much and not be the size of a whale.... and it gets worse? Mine aren't even (apparently) the right age yet. LOL! So serious question... when do they STOP eating anything not nailed down?

When sex takes over. ;)
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    There is no feeling of full at that age. It is actually weird that the teenager is actually looking to be full or satisfied. Usually they are quick in and out to eat and move on to the next venture and that thinking about food satiety would be the furthermore from their minds.. Hard to say what exactly is going other than they growing boys and high activity! Put loads of food on the table they will stop when full!!

However, the protein shake idea really is your friends business. It may be overkill for you to consider it for your children, but your friend some how finds it necessary. I have never ever felt full on a protein shake. So hopefully they will provide the protein shake with a larger meal!
  • amandaeve
    amandaeve Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    There is no feeling of full at that age. It is actually weird that the teenager is actually looking to be full or satisfied. Usually they are quick in and out to eat and move on to the next venture and that thinking about food satiety would be the furthermore from their minds.. Hard to say what exactly is going other than they growing boys and high activity! Put loads of food on the table they will stop when full!!

However, the protein shake idea really is your friends business. It may be overkill for you to consider it for your children, but your friend some how finds it necessary. I have never ever felt full on a protein shake. So hopefully they will provide the protein shake with a larger meal!

Yeah, the kid is troubled by his hunger, which I admit I haven't seen much of in boys. I wasn't so much asking what his family should do for him, that is not my business. I was mostly curious if protein shakes were a reasonable option for satiety. I drink protein shakes to get more protein in my diet, but they don't make me feel full. I wondered if I was unusual or if others just drink more servings that me? I usually think of fatty stuff for that full feeling, similar to the comments other people made.