Weight loss strategies that many overlook

ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,501 Member
edited August 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
While CICO is ultimately the way to lose weight (no plan will tell you that you can eat over TDEE and lose weight), there are some strategies that will assist weight loss that are simple:

Get enough sleep- you don't burn the most fat exercising contrary to popular belief. You burn the most when your at rest for 6-8 hours. Indications are also that people who also don't sleep well have a harder time recovering for hard workouts. Lack of sleep also over produces ghrelin, which stimulates your appetite and if you're in a big calorie deficit, it may be easy to binge in the middle of the night.

Try not to drink alcohol before bedtime- alcohol inhibits any other energy source from being utilized until it's metabolized by the body (you don't store alcohol in the body). Drinking alcohol before bed would inhibit fat burning till it's metabolized. That's not to say you can't have any, just keep it low.

Relax- with all the pressures of life today, maybe people aren't able to fully relax. Whether it's reading a book, taking a bath, or just going for a leisure walk, reducing stress has been shown to help with weight loss. Whatever way you choose, implement it for 30 minutes a day or more.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Replies

• ninerbuff
    bump
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    When I don't get enough sleep I find myself feeling hungrier than usual. I always thought it was my body looking for another energy source to try and wake up.

I do enjoy drinking a shot whiskey and water before bed though. I have an easier time getting to sleep.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Yep, poor sleep for me is the number one enemy of my success or the lack thereof.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Sleep has been an issue for me too. I started taken Olly Restful Sleep which contains melatonin and it has helped tremendously!
  • ninerbuff
    For many, sleep may be one of the biggest obstacles. I'm a night owl and usually stay up till 12-12:30am each day and then get back up at the latest by 7. The great for me though is I do get to nap every afternoon for at least an hour since I have a split schedule.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • huntersmom2016
    huntersmom2016 Posts: 185 Member
    Sleep is definitely a problem for me. I go to work 5 days a week at 3am. And bc I have a young child, I can't just go to sleep when I need to. I'm lucky to be in bed by 9/9:30 and get up at 2am to get ready for work. So at most I get 5 hours sleep. And what I've read about needing sleep for weight loss is on point. On days I sleep"late" I'm not nearly as hungry and can go until noon without eating whereas when I'm up to go to work, I feel like I'm starving! Also, I weigh myself every morning after using the bathroom and the days I'm able sleep late, I actually weigh less. Unfortunately there's not much I can do about my lack of sleep short of finding another job. But I really love my job so not looking to change just yet.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Sleep effects me the opposite way. I had more sleep yesterday and today and have been hungry all day.
  • Neanbean13
    Neanbean13 Posts: 211 Member
    Standard. Nothing new here
  • CharlieICURN
    CharlieICURN Posts: 89 Member
    Sleep is one of my biggest obstacles. I work 3 12 hour nights a week and on my off days I have to maintain a regular daytime schedule since I have a little one. According to my Fitbit I sleep about 4.5 hours with lots of restlessness. I was just diagnosed with fibromyalgia though so maybe when I start medication for it that will help (I had to get lots of blood work and testing done first).
  • Less time sleeping means more time spent awake and eating.....yeah, I don't like it when I wake up stupidly early knowing that a very late dinner is happening that day.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Neanbean13 wrote: »

I have seen people say things like "Set your alarm an hour earlier. That workout is going to benefit you more than another hour of sleep".

• ninerbuff
    Sleep is definitely a problem for me. I go to work 5 days a week at 3am. And bc I have a young child, I can't just go to sleep when I need to. I'm lucky to be in bed by 9/9:30 and get up at 2am to get ready for work. So at most I get 5 hours sleep. And what I've read about needing sleep for weight loss is on point. On days I sleep"late" I'm not nearly as hungry and can go until noon without eating whereas when I'm up to go to work, I feel like I'm starving! Also, I weigh myself every morning after using the bathroom and the days I'm able sleep late, I actually weigh less. Unfortunately there's not much I can do about my lack of sleep short of finding another job. But I really love my job so not looking to change just yet.
    Well there's always giving up the kid...............just kidding. Any time to get naps in after you work?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Neanbean13 wrote: »
    Feel free to enlighten us with newer info than if you're willing to help.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• fadedfootprint
    fadedfootprint Posts: 1 Member
    what is cico and tdee
  • MiMi_5151
    MiMi_5151 Posts: 41 Member
    cico = calories in, calories out
    tdee = total daily energy expenditure https://tdeecalculator.net/
  • red99ryder
    red99ryder Posts: 399 Member
    i always seem to eat more when im tired .. just dont care lol well rested helps me eat better
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Well there's always giving up the kid...............just kidding. Any time to get naps in after you work?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Her schedule sounds nearly exactly like my girlfriend's, and her son is almost ten. Your suggestion is exactly what she ended up having to do. Home by about 2:30, and try to catch a couple hour nap before he gets home from school. It worked wonders for her general health. Though, she's always had more problems keeping weight on than losing it.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    If i have a crappy nights sleep it is almost guaranteed that i'll be ravenous the next day, that coupled with less energy to exercise does not a good combination make.

It's so easy to say "just get more sleep", easier said than done.. I don't have small kids and i work from home, so i can get up what ever time i like, but i cant sleep past 4:30-5am and I'm usually asleep by 8pm. I have tried so many times to stay up later, but i still wake up early. According to fitbit, i was restless 22 times last night.