Options
2»

Replies

• freestylpolaris
    freestylpolaris Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I would suggest the following:

Copy and pasting from another post of mine:

The plan is to work out with weights 3x a week with 30-45 minutes of light cardio (bike ride to and from the gym) to gain lean muscle then do HIIT cardio the other 2x of the week to burn fat. Rest the last 2 days of the week. Overall goal is to get down to 10-12% BF and gain about 15lbs of lean muscle.

To maintain my current weight I'm multiplying BW x 15. 170 X 15 = 2550 calories a day (may be too much).
    To cut fat and gain muscle I'm multiplying BW x 12 to get 2040 calories a day (again, may be too much) (on weight training days I'll be consuming more than 2040)

-So on HIIT days my macros are 50P/30F/20C. Calorie intake = 2040. Protein = 255G. Fat = 68G. Carbs = 102G.
    -On weight training days my macros are the same as the above but cut in 1/2 for AM. AM = 1020 calories. 128G protein. 34G Fat. 102G Carbs. PM after workout macros are: 50P/30F/20C = 2040 calories. 102G protein. 11G fat. 383G Carbs.
    -On Maintenance/rest days my macros are 50P/30F/20C. 2550 calories. 319G protein. 85G fat. 128G carbs.

So my reasoning for all of that is I believe after training the body is basically like a sponge. Ready to absorb what you throw at it basically (in moderation). Hence the high carbs, low fat, high protein after workouts.

Then when not weight training (HIIT days) or maintenance days I should be high in protein to retain and maybe even gain muscle. Low-medium levels of fat for essential body functions and energy. Low in carbs to keep fat away while also hopefully replacing current fat with muscle after burning the fat on HIIT days.

It's complicated but sounds like it works. I'm currently finishing up week one.

• MoHousdon
    MoHousdon Posts: 8,722 Member
    Options
    AJF230 wrote: »
    How many times has that line been used...I'm gaining muscle but not losing fat. Isnt the case like 99% of the time its fat you're gaining? Putting on muscle is hard and slow work.

Maybe get some hard data to go by?

I'm personally going for a Dexa scan and BMR analysis on Monday at a local university's lab. I'm 6'3 and 195, down from 205, and need to figure out exactly what my base burn is and what a reasonable goal is for me. Sounds like fun.

sooo true! I've been lifting for years and it has been a looooooooooooong process putting on muscle...it drives me crazy when people here think they've put on 5lbs of muscle in a week or month, as well as the females that talk about how they have become "too muscly" after a few weeks of weightlifting!

z9x3ns1h00tc.gif
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I would suggest the following:

Copy and pasting from another post of mine:

The plan is to work out with weights 3x a week with 30-45 minutes of light cardio (bike ride to and from the gym) to gain lean muscle then do HIIT cardio the other 2x of the week to burn fat. Rest the last 2 days of the week. Overall goal is to get down to 10-12% BF and gain about 15lbs of lean muscle.

To maintain my current weight I'm multiplying BW x 15. 170 X 15 = 2550 calories a day (may be too much).
    To cut fat and gain muscle I'm multiplying BW x 12 to get 2040 calories a day (again, may be too much) (on weight training days I'll be consuming more than 2040)

-So on HIIT days my macros are 50P/30F/20C. Calorie intake = 2040. Protein = 255G. Fat = 68G. Carbs = 102G.
    -On weight training days my macros are the same as the above but cut in 1/2 for AM. AM = 1020 calories. 128G protein. 34G Fat. 102G Carbs. PM after workout macros are: 50P/30F/20C = 2040 calories. 102G protein. 11G fat. 383G Carbs.
    -On Maintenance/rest days my macros are 50P/30F/20C. 2550 calories. 319G protein. 85G fat. 128G carbs.

So my reasoning for all of that is I believe after training the body is basically like a sponge. Ready to absorb what you throw at it basically (in moderation). Hence the high carbs, low fat, high protein after workouts.

Then when not weight training (HIIT days) or maintenance days I should be high in protein to retain and maybe even gain muscle. Low-medium levels of fat for essential body functions and energy. Low in carbs to keep fat away while also hopefully replacing current fat with muscle after burning the fat on HIIT days.

It's complicated but sounds like it works. I'm currently finishing up week one.

this is not for the OP...and most of it is false.

what is lean muscle? is there such a thing as fat muscle?

macros are a personal thing
    and just because you believe it doesn't make it true.
    you don't gain muscle without a progressive load lifting program and a surplus of calories (unless doing recomp)
    you can\t replace fat with muscle...smh

the only cliche not in this post is starvation mode I think
  • indy82
    indy82 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Wow I come back from work and this post blew up haha!!

Thank you so much for the advice guys. Stealthq I think you're right if I do body recomp I just have to be patient.

I think for sure I need to add more hiit to my routine because I barely do any cardio.

I currently do compound workout. Not sure if that's the same as progressive but I'll check that out. I lift heavy weights 3-4 sets with 6-8 reps of the heaviest I can lift and I keep adding to the weight as a I become stronger.

I know I haven't gained tons of muscle and do know that it does take time. I guess I was just hoping my metabolism would speed up a little more w a little added muscle but I guess I have to change some things and wait. I do know I've become a lot stronger which makes me happy.

I normally do yoga once a week and that's helped build strength in my core and helps a lot with balance.

As for my protein I do intake around 90-120 or so depending on the day. My protein drink is 30 grams too so that helps and I eat a ton of eggs and with the Greek yogurt it helps.

I don't believe I've left anything out.. Other then seeing a dietician which I will when I have some money lol