IRL support? What's your story?

Options
kiela64
kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
edited August 2016 in Motivation and Support
How did you find support in other people around you? Did you try personal training? Group fitness classes? Meetups? Running groups? Walking groups? A just-for-fun sports team? Did you find a weight-loss buddy or buddies in your friend group or in an acquaintance? Did an online friend become an IRL one for working out? How useful was this IRL support for you?

I'm flailing a bit at the moment, but the short period of time my friend went to the same gym as me we went a couple times a week together, just met and left at similar times doing our own thing. I think it really helped me get out of the house just knowing I would disappoint someone else by not getting there on time. However, I was often early and she was often late, sometimes by 30+min for both of us, so it did get a bit frustrating, and I could see how something like that could end up being drama-filled and counterproductive. I'm interested in trying to find more people IRL working on similar things, though I'm not really sure where to start. I'm interested to hear your stories!

Replies

• LAMCDylan
    LAMCDylan Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    No support. I don't have a single person who supports me and this is how it has been my whole adult life. It has actually make me a stronger person because I have learned to put my needs 1st and be the sole person to motivate myself. I agree with the person above about online support. It really is just BS. If you can't find motivation and enthusiasm on your own then you have nothing. You have to learn to have the will power to do things on your own. I find that the reason people want to lose weight and struggle with it so much is that there is emotional issues that are unaddressed. For the most part, majority of people have shame (whether normal or fat shame) that they are unaware of or completely ignore. So really, those emotional issues need to be worked out beforehand or concurrently with getting in shape.
  • leebirm
    leebirm Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    LAMCDylan, spot on mate, I don't get support from anyone else, no or even knows that I am doing this thing and that's how I like it, I'm not doing it for anyone other than myself.

I come on here to vent or ask questions but ultimately it's me that needs to motivate myself.

No one has commented that I have lost weight and my clothes don't actually feel all that much looser, that's fine though, I'm in this game for the long haul and no one can stop me except for me