Weight gain...but why??

Options
Hi all, I am feeling hugely frustrated. I have exercised and kept within my food calorie allowance but seem to be gaining weight...could it be muscle (been doing 30day shred)? Do I need to cut carbs out completely? I used to lose weight so quickly before...its been a struggle this time. I wonder if I've messed up my metabolism or maybe it's my age (36yrs).
Would be grateful for any tips...Thank you.

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    How long has this gain occurred over? It's unlikely it's muscle, and you don't need to cut carbs unless for medical reasons.
  • hypodonthaveme
    hypodonthaveme Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Have you had more salt than usual? Could be water weight.
  • libbynj
    libbynj Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water? I know all restaurant food is loaded with salt including salad dressings. I gained 2#s after eating at an Asian buffet and it took a full week to get rid of it. I will not make that mistake again. I don't think your age is causing the problem. . Maybe you aren't as active as you set up in the profile. I changed my profile from light activity to no activity and that gave me weight loss. Good luck to you
  • cleliajestrada
    cleliajestrada Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Nads36 wrote: »
    Hi all, I am feeling hugely frustrated. I have exercised and kept within my food calorie allowance but seem to be gaining weight...could it be muscle (been doing 30day shred)? Do I need to cut carbs out completely? I used to lose weight so quickly before...its been a struggle this time. I wonder if I've messed up my metabolism or maybe it's my age (36yrs).
    Would be grateful for any tips...Thank you.

In my 30 lb weight loss I have seen gain 5 lbs and suddenly drop all that plus 2 more in 2 days. Weight fluctuates in process of weight loss. I am 36. Heard it's harder to lose as we age plus was told beginning is water weight and then u will lose but slowly. Gota be patient. I have to me. Stat positive keep doing what u doing. Stay active and continue to monitor your intake and u will be fine. Unless there a underlining medical problem or medication, u should be fine..
  • Nads36
    Nads36 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys...I don't think I do drink enough water actually. I need need to stop weighing myself daily expecting to have shifted lots if weight. Slow and steady losses is what I am after...I have do everything it quickly before and I gained it all back plus more. I will definitely keep up my activity levels I feel that contributes to my body shape change. Hope you are all doing well...keep it up guys x
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    how long have you been doing 30 day shred? if it's a fairly new program your muscles will retain water as well.
  • rebel_26
    rebel_26 Posts: 1,826 Member
    Options
    if weighing daily sdo so first thing in the AM and after relieving your bladder. Also if your habit is dining out on weekends and maintaining a diet during the week thatss more nutrient rich id only worry about my Wed morning weigh in. Monday morning I was 167.5 . Today I was 165.4. I bet tomorrow im closer to 164.

Lastly as a preventative if the scale keeps going up and adding water doesn't solve it. Next time you see your doctor get your thyroid checked. I had no symptoms at all that are typical with HYPO other than more significant weight shifts than average people have . I just didnt feel right and asked for bloodwork thinking maybe low T due to some lathargy and aches and pains (I am 50 so that may be normal) . I was diagnosed with hypo.

lastly dont depend solely on MFP calories statements as often they are wrong. Make sure you research what your eating or scan any barcodes rather than pick from the list.