Plateauing

Options
I am stuck at a 15 lbs and can
t

Replies

• KarenEH162
    KarenEH162 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    sorry about that, hit the enter key without finishing what I needed to say. I am stuck on the scale at 15 lbs and can't get passed it. I weigh and measure everything. I am consistent about my calories, protein and the other stuff. I do a pretty good job about staying away from the junk too. I walk 6 days a week for about 1-1:30 hours a day. HELP!! what has worked for you to get passed a plateau? Thanks
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    You are eating at maintenence, or you don't have enough reliable data points to see the slower weight loss. Readjust your calorie goal to fit your lighter body, and tighten up your logging. Weigh yourself every day and look at the trend :)

Plateus don't really exist. WHAT you eat doesn't have a direct impact on weight, it's HOW MUCH. Exercise doesn't burn that many calories. Focus on food/drink intake.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Looking at your food diary, I would question many of your entries. Most of them have calories, a large portion don't have associated macronutrient totals, which tells me they are off. Also, get rid of the quick adds. Both of these would suggest that you are eating more than you expect. Once you fix those, evaluate our progress over 4 weeks and adjust as needed.

For example, I eat apples almost daily, and have yet to see one below 130 calories.
  • KarenEH162
    Options
    I am sad to say that I have a degree in the field but am a little rusty. My education has kind of taken a back burner. Thanks for reminding me of the obvious. I thought I was logging really close. I am walking like crazy and doing over 10000 steps at one time which takes me about 75 minutes. My running days are over because of bad knees. Thanks for the help.
  • KarenEH162
    Options
    Apples I thought according to the Database are about 80 calories? whats up. I will start logging them in at 130 to be safe.l My quick calories are things I make and account for each and little item and then I total it up. I'll stop doing that. I trying to be as restrictive as I can. I am seeing a RD at a local hospital to help me. I will get more tight about this. Thanks for taking a look at my diary and looking at my entries. That is a big help. I have changed my goals for calories from what My Fitness Pal suggested and lowered it.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Dont just start logging a number for apples - weigh it and be sure. That said, I buy gala apples by the bag in a small size, as they are marketed for children, and they almost always come in at about 80 calories.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I hit a plateau after 15 lbs and I've never been able to break past it without an unsustainable drop in calories. My weight stays the same at 1800 calories or all the way up to 2600. I can lose weight at 1700, but that means either being hungry all the time or stuffing myself with lettuce to stay full. I think the only way out of that kind of plateau is weight and interval training, but I have never really committed to that.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Don't try to be as restrictive as you can, be as accurate as you can.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    edited August 2016
    Options
    KarenEH162 wrote: »
    Apples I thought according to the Database are about 80 calories? whats up. I will start logging them in at 130 to be safe.l My quick calories are things I make and account for each and little item and then I total it up. I'll stop doing that. I trying to be as restrictive as I can. I am seeing a RD at a local hospital to help me. I will get more tight about this. Thanks for taking a look at my diary and looking at my entries. That is a big help. I have changed my goals for calories from what My Fitness Pal suggested and lowered it.

Pull up the specific type of apple (pink lady, Jazz, Granny Smith) and use ones that have grams. Look at my diary. Fruit is a very large part of my diet. Love me some fruit.

Also, you don't have to be restrictive. For some, like myself, that will backfire and cause binges. Instead, I focus on specific things (calories first and then protein). I prelog my calories to make sure I have enough volume and foods I really enjoy in there. This allows me to get adequate nutrition and stick in my deficit.
  • bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Instead of quick adding food you make, try the recipe builder. It's my favorite function on MFP since I love trying new recipes. You put in all the ingredients, how many servings it makes and then you can log it. You not only get a more accurate calorie amount but you'll get more accurate nutrient counts. Hope this helps!
  • KarenEH162
    Options
    I started pre-logging a few days ago so I wouldn't go over. It's really a big help. It's little time consuming but well worth it, leaves out the time during the next day. I love fruit as well. By the way something fun that you may already know, I freeze my grapes. Yummmy!!! It's like eating a sorbet. I love it. Try it. Thanks for your insight.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    You say you measure everything - but that's not reflected in your diary - almost nothing was in grams. I think if you get your logging back on track you'll see the changes you're hoping for. Use accurate entries - weigh all solids, only use the measuring cups/spoons for liquids, use the recipe builder, don't use the quick adds or generic entries, etc...
  • KarenEH162
    Options
    I had know idea that should weigh my solids too. I thought that I should just measure them. It really makes that much of a difference? I am sorry. I ve been at this for 35 days put only the premium upgrade since the 3rd of August. I have been doing alot of research and Macronutrients is the way to go. Thanks I will reconvert everything now. I will see how things go.
  • pdm3547
    pdm3547 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    KarenEH162 wrote: »
    I had know idea that should weigh my solids too. I thought that I should just measure them. It really makes that much of a difference?

You will probably be shocked at how many calories you're eating versus what you thought you were eating. Like that apple. You could easily be eating several hundred more a day than you've thought when you get accurate with your logging.

• cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    You are eating at maintenence, or you don't have enough reliable data points to see the slower weight loss. Readjust your calorie goal to fit your lighter body, and tighten up your logging. Weigh yourself every day and look at the trend :)

Plateus don't really exist.
    WHAT you eat doesn't have a direct on weight, it's HOW MUCH. Exercise doesn't burn that many calories. Focus on food/drink intake.

?