Pre-Diabetic...after 40 lb weight loss...

Options
Okay, just got some troubling news. Quick back story:

A couple of years ago I was 296 lbs and absolutely miserable. Obesity runs in the family, and clearly it didn't skip a generation. I'm an emotional eater, so being obese isn't a surprise.

Over the last couple of years I've been up and down, but over the last year I've been relatively stable and declining. Currently standing at 258. Still obese? Yup, but finding what works for my body.

Got a call today after a doctor's appointment yesterday....

Cholesterol/HDL/LDL stellar, blood pressure awesome....

Pre-Diabetic.

Sigh. This is discouraging. Okay, so maybe I just want to throw a pity party and invite people to join me. Patron anyone?

Oh wait...I can't have that.

Replies

• MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Despite the common notion that diabetes is always about what you eat and how much you move... that isn't necessarily the case. Babies get diabetes too. I doubt it's because of their super cute chubby thighs. :tongue: Work with your doctor, ask for a blood test to determine which type of diabetes, and monitor your blood sugar. If it IS type 2... at least you know you can control it. YOU are in control.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Have you had your blood work done right before you started losing weight? For all you know your blood sugar may have been even higher! The good news is, there is a chance your pre-diabetes may go away by the time you are at goal weight. Not guaranteed, but a really good chance. Just keep doing what you're doing and hopefully it will fix itself.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I'm prediabetic also. Even after losing the extra 40 lb of fat. The doctor told me to eat only half the carb portions that a normal person would, and to never eat a carb without a protein. Keeps sugar much steadier, without spikes and crashes. I also keep glucose tablets around because sometimes it still crashes randomly.
  • CaptainJoy
    CaptainJoy Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    My A1C went up after I had lost weight. My doctor did not say I was prediabetic but I didn't like the numbers I was seeing.

What changed was I had started taking a low dose statin and started drinking diet sodas. Both can lead to diabetes. I am working with my doctor on cutting both from my diet since my cholesterol numbers are now at awesomely healthy levels and I've developed a taste for simple water. Hopefully my A1C goes back down when I'm off the statins. I'd hate to trade off high cholesterol for diabetes.
  • Beauty_For_Ashes
    Beauty_For_Ashes Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    I'm prediabetic also. Even after losing the extra 40 lb of fat. The doctor told me to eat only half the carb portions that a normal person would, and to never eat a carb without a protein. Keeps sugar much steadier, without spikes and crashes. I also keep glucose tablets around because sometimes it still crashes randomly.

I actually cut sugar because it made me feel like crap. I (try to) only eat honey/agave/fruit for sugar (sometimes I fail...human and junk). I'll keep the carb/protein thing in mind. I get blood sugar crashes as well randomly. Guess that should have told me something...
    Have you had your blood work done right before you started losing weight? For all you know your blood sugar may have been even higher! The good news is, there is a chance your pre-diabetes may go away by the time you are at goal weight. Not guaranteed, but a really good chance. Just keep doing what you're doing and hopefully it will fix itself.

No, I didn't get any blood work done pre-weight loss, so you could be entirely correct! That's a great way to look at it.
    MzManiak wrote: »
    Work with your doctor, ask for a blood test to determine which type of diabetes, and monitor your blood sugar. If it IS type 2... at least you know you can control it. YOU are in control.

I tend towards the hypo- side of the diabetic scale. If I skip a meal, I get dizzy. Guess I can't have that happen any more. And yes, I can control it! I have been and I'm going to continue. I will probably still always think of myself a pre-diabetic, no matter how much I lose/how fit I get/what the doc says when I get to my GW. It runs in the family, so it's something I'm now going to have to be very aware of.

Thanks for joining my party yall! I'm a bit better in the head. Just...blown away.
  • angeleyes4643
    angeleyes4643 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I too was recently diagnosed as prediabetic. I immediately hopped back on MFP and have been here just over 50 days. I'm feeling better - not so tired and sluggish_ but my morning glucose is still between 115-127. I'm just continuing to plug along and eat better and cut down on carbs and junk. Add me and we'll figure this out together.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    if you are not born diabetic there is only Type 2 as a diagnosis... pre-diabetic means that you are insulin resistant... and that resistance stems from body fat acting to filter out the Insulin your body produces... a couple things to be aware of... body fat does NOT just exist outside and beneath your skin, it also attaches to all your internal vital organs... it's cliché but very much true that the body fat you see is the tip of the iceberg... the BAD news is you are only given ONE Pancreas. Pre-diabetic would insinuate that it is currently working over time to manage your sugar ( ie create insulin to help dispose of excess sugar.). So managing your diet NOW is no longer an option... which means ZERO added sugar, no ketchup, or condiments containing sugar (or corn syrup which is even worse) NO more fast food which all contains added sugar... NO pulpy fruit like melons, pineapple, NO honey... in fact it is time to remove any pre-packaged or processed food... and it's time to start getting good at reading labels...carbs are the enemy... no more "white" food... no white bread, no white rice, no potatoes...

Learn to love raw and steamed veggies and lean protein...

and exercise... cardio and strength training... help your body chew through the sugar and the fat in your system...

and who am I? I was diagnosed type 2 going on 3 years ago... my grandparents were both diabetics...and both my parents were diagnosed type 2 right around the same age I was... I blame booze... something you also need to avoid as much as possible (damn carbs). I got the news from my doc after I had gone into see him because I suspected I had stepped over the edge... I had symptoms...losing weight like crazy, drinking like 5 gallons of water in a day, my vision was spiraling so bad I was buying a new (stronger) set of reading glasses every week for almost a month... I couldn't stand the heat, or the sun... So I go in and the doc says get your blood test... that was Thursday... Friday morning I had my test done... Saturday morning the Doc called me at 7 a.m. and told me to head to the emergency room... fortunately I don't (yet) need insulin... and may never need it... my diet still is a challenge, but I am kicking butt in the exercise dept.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    In 2011, I was pre-diabetic with a Glucose fasting level of 112. In 4 months, I was able to get that to 97, and as of 2015- through managing my diet, exercise and losing weight, it was at 82 (standard range is 70-105). If I were you, I would try to manage your diet and have labs done again in 4-6 months to see if it is trending downward or if it is at the same level. That will give you a sense of whether or not it's something you can prevent on your own.
  • Beauty_For_Ashes
    Beauty_For_Ashes Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    In 2011, I was pre-diabetic with a Glucose fasting level of 112. In 4 months, I was able to get that to 97, and as of 2015- through managing my diet, exercise and losing weight, it was at 82 (standard range is 70-105). If I were you, I would try to manage your diet and have labs done again in 4-6 months to see if it is trending downward or if it is at the same level. That will give you a sense of whether or not it's something you can prevent on your own.

Thank you for that. I needed to hear that in exactly that way. I'm still having a bit of a pity party, but picking myself up by the boot straps and marching on. I'll schedule labs to be done again in 4 months (because I'm not patient enough for 6 months lol) I want this to be something I can prevent on my own. This is also going to give me the opportunity to talk to my son even more about taking care of himself for the long run.