What a Majority of Adults Who Have Successfully Maintained Their Weight Loss Do

Options

Replies

• cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Have any of you "budgeted" calories? By this I mean, log every day, keep your normal intake a couple of hundred calories below your maintenance needs and then have a dessert or a really rich meal once a week? Does that wreak havoc or does it work?

It works quite well. But only so much. Get all your macros everyday but saving a couple extra calories adds up. I usually would save 500 kcal by the weekend and use it than. It worked well since weight lose is based on weeks and not days.

• robingmurphy
    robingmurphy Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I feel like "eating breakfast" comes up in the weight control registry because it's a marker of people who didn't overeat dinner the night before. They're more likely to be hungry and ready for breakfast.
  • ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    According to the National Weight Control Registry, of adults who have successfully maintained their weight loss:
    • 98% have modified their eating habits.
    • 94% have increased their level of physical activity, especially walking.
    • 90% exercise, on average, about 1 hour per day.
    • 78% eat a healthy breakfast every day.
    • 75% weigh themselves at least once a week.
    • 62% watch less than 10 hours of television per week.

More facts and figures here: http://nwcr.ws/research/default.htm

Yes, yes, yes, no, yes yes.

The fourth no? Because donuts.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    According to the National Weight Control Registry, of adults who have successfully maintained their weight loss:
    yes
    [*] 94% have increased their level of physical activity, especially walking.
    yes
    [*] 90% exercise, on average, about 1 hour per day.
    yes
    [*] 78% eat a healthy breakfast every day.
    no
    [*] 75% weigh themselves at least once a week.
    yes
    [*] 62% watch less than 10 hours of television per week.
    no

Number 1 is the most important though.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• hlltwin
    hlltwin Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I've noticed a lot of people don't eat breakfast. Why is that/How does that work? If I completely skip breakfast, I get really hungry/sleepy before lunchtime. I'm up with the sun (4:30) and generally have something light with my morning coffee (a hard boiled egg, 6-oz of yogurt) and then something else about midmorning (fruit, tortilla chips with salsa, nuts). On the weekends I'll eat an egg sandwich later in the morning.

I just wonder how people can go without any breakfast and not be hungry well before noon/lunchtime.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    hlltwin wrote: »
    I've noticed a lot of people don't eat breakfast. Why is that/How does that work? If I completely skip breakfast, I get really hungry/sleepy before lunchtime. I'm up with the sun (4:30) and generally have something light with my morning coffee (a hard boiled egg, 6-oz of yogurt) and then something else about midmorning (fruit, tortilla chips with salsa, nuts). On the weekends I'll eat an egg sandwich later in the morning.

I just wonder how people can go without any breakfast and not be hungry well before noon/lunchtime.

Everyone is different! I don't eat breakfast either. I like having a large dinner at night with my family.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    I won't consider myself successful at weight loss until I've maintained for at least 5 years.

^^ ditto this, as five years is a standard for maintaining the weight loss.
    I am @ 2 years 9 months maintaining a weight loss of over 1/2 of my current body weight, and I can answer yes to all of the OP's bullet points.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

I get up around the same time as you. I don't technically "eat" breakfast, but i drink lots of cups of milky tea, and a few coffees throughout the morning which keeps me full. My coffee mug holds 500ml, so they're bigass cups of tea/coffee. So, all that warm water plus 550ml of milk is enough to keep me going.

I would also rather save my calories for dessert than breakfast. Another reason i don't eat breakfast is because it just plain and simple makes me hungrier throughout the day, the longer i can hold out from eating, the better and easier my day goes.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

@hlltwin

I like breakfast (always ready to eat as soon as I get up...) but don't need breakfast. If I don't eat first thing and just get on with my day I tend to forget about it.

It makes me no more or less hungry by lunchtime and my energy levels are the same. For me it's a very easy way to correct an upward trend in my weight by saving a few hundred calories or just to "bank" some more calories for later.

A lot of eating is habitual (maybe more so in people who struggle with their weight?) and breaking a habit can cause a change in mind-set. I did an intermittent fasting routine to lose weight and it made me realise I was often eating purely by routine based on time of day rather than need. I'm much more flexible now.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I'm a long term maintainer (almost 4 yrs) and I agree and do all those points apart from the last one! I workout while watching TV so way more than 10 hrs a week of viewing... :smile:
  • Return2Fit
    Return2Fit Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    • 94% have increased their level of physical activity, especially walking.
    • 90% exercise, on average, about 1 hour per day.
    • 78% eat a healthy breakfast every day.
    • 75% weigh themselves at least once a week.
    • 62% watch less than 10 hours of television per week.

I DISAGREE WITH MOST OF THIS.....which was why I regained my weight several times over the years...
    :p
    Seriously, great post, and oh, so true!
    I am sure others could maintain doing whatever, but most would do well following closely these very principles.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    I've been maintaining for nearly five years (after losing 60 lbs and going from 240 plus to 180s). I don't eat breakfast though I do the rest of the things mentioned in the study (actually I just joined the weight loss registry myself).

I don't like breakfast that much, just never hungry in the AM. I have tea or coffee black. That's it. Also, my wife has allergies to eggs so we don't eat eggs and I'm also moving more in the direction of HFLC. Without eggs, what else is there to eat for breakfast being HFLC. We do a green juice a few times a week (no fruit except a bit of pineapple core) but that's it as far as breakfast goes.

Actually fasting in the AM before a steady state cardio session helps you be more efficient at burning fat. I'm still a work in progress on giving up all carbs but I've pretty much given up mostly all processed sugar.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I've maintained a healthy weight my entire adult life (I'm 60) and would say yes to all of the points.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Really, the weight registry should compare it with the overall stats for the country.

Cause I'm pretty sure around 78% of everyone eats breakfast, healthy weight or not.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I've maintained for pretty much 2 years so far....

Yes changed eating habits
    Yes more physical activity
    Yes exercise at least 1hr a day
    Yes breakfast...but I prefer to eat breakfast always did
    No I don't weigh myself a whole lot....can tell by the fit of my clothing
    No watch a lot of TV....I am up early for my workout so my evenings are relaxing watching TV.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Does 4 out of this 6 things = WIN.. Almost 2 years in maintaining.

I still watch a crap load of TV, I do not eat breakfast. If I could sleep longer than 5 hours a night I might take off a few extra hours of TV..
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I've been maintaining for nearly five years (after losing 60 lbs and going from 240 plus to 180s). I don't eat breakfast though I do the rest of the things mentioned in the study (actually I just joined the weight loss registry myself).

I don't like breakfast that much, just never hungry in the AM. I have tea or coffee black. That's it. Also, my wife has allergies to eggs so we don't eat eggs and I'm also moving more in the direction of HFLC. Without eggs, what else is there to eat for breakfast being HFLC. We do a green juice a few times a week (no fruit except a bit of pineapple core) but that's it as far as breakfast goes.

Actually fasting in the AM before a steady state cardio session helps you be more efficient at burning fat. I'm still a work in progress on giving up all carbs but I've pretty much given up mostly all processed sugar.

The fasted cardio is a myth. Calories in and calories out impacts weight, timing does not.

If you like working out before eating/fits your schedule better that's great, but it's not causing you to lose more fat.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    I won't consider myself successful at weight loss until I've maintained for at least 5 years.

I'm also waiting until year 5 (2018). Even then I plan not to have the "I've arrived!" mentality because I don't want to get comfortable. I have to keep at it everyday!

Unless I had an intense workout or ate dinner much earlier than usual the night before I'm just not hungry in the morning. Water and a little herbal tea hold me over just fine. Eating bigger meals in the late morning - evening and has worked very well for me.

I followed "you must eat within a half hour and you must eat small meals throughout the day" for a long time. That made me gain or maintain my weight when I wanted to lose many times because I was overeating from forcing myself to eat early. Also I was still hungry from eating smaller meals most of the time.

Once I started tracking in my food journal and paying attention to my hunger cues it all came together effortlessly.
  • _Figgzie_
    _Figgzie_ Posts: 3,506 Member
    Options
    gotta agree with the no breakfast folks. I usually have a cup of coffee and maybe a protein bar in the morning which allows me to eat a bigger lunch and dinner. Won't work for all but for me it has really made the difference.