Tryna gain!! Help!!

Options
I've bulked up and had pretty good results before, but never while I've had such a physically demanding job. It's already hard enough for me to gain and maintain weight. I'm a carpenter by trade and I know I burn a lot of calories during the day, especially in 100degree weather. So, it feels as if my calorie intake is just maintaining my current weight and not increasing.
Just looking for advice from anyone that is willing to help.

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You just gotta out eat the amount of calories you burn. The below thread will give you ideas of high calorie foods and drinks that can be beneficial.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10326769/are-you-a-hard-gainer-please-read#latest
  • jeremys325
    jeremys325 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Yea, but I'm not gaining just maintaining lol, but fr, I'm tryna do without supplements, which I've always used, but it's lookin like I'm gonna have to
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Consume more calories until you start gaining weight.

/thread.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    jeremys325 wrote: »
    Yea, but I'm not gaining just maintaining lol, but fr, I'm tryna do without supplements, which I've always used, but it's lookin like I'm gonna have to

Simple solution.. more ice cream.

Or any other calorie that will increase your intake, but mainly ice cream. ;)
  • jeremys325
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

I already eat a pint a night lol
  • psuLemon
    Options

giphy.gif

Look at the thread I posted. It has a lot of good foods. But start drinking a lot of chocolate milk.. and full fat.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    If you are not gaining weight and want to, increase calories. As a carpenter your TDEE will be relatively high. Try increasing your calories 150cals a day and reassess in a fortnight.
  • jeremys325
    Options

giphy.gif

Look at the thread I posted. It has a lot of good foods. But start drinking a lot of chocolate milk.. and full fat.

Is there any truth in drinking a gallon of milk a day will significantly increase my calorie intake
  • jeremys325
    Options
    Should I be shooting for .5lb or 1 to 2lbs a week
  • psuLemon
    Options
    .5 to 1 is good.
  • psuLemon
    Options

giphy.gif

Is there any truth in drinking a gallon of milk a day will significantly increase my calorie intake

Drinking a gallon is just a ton of calories. I would never do it. But you can. I think it would tear up my stomach.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

if you are maintaining now, then add 250 calories a day and that would give you a half pound gain ..250 calories is like two servings of ice cream a night...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

giphy.gif

in your case you would probably only need a half gallon a day ..
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Find caloric dense foods that are easy to consume.

Thinks like peanut butter or olive oil come to mind, or those "nuts n' more" high calorie spreadables. You can make super high calorie shakes such as:

Whole fat milk, peanut/almond butter, 1-2 bananas, chocolate protein powder OR various fruits, 1-3 tablespoons of olive oil (each tablespoon is 120 calories. Your shake is an additional 500-700 calories depending on how much you throw in there. Put it in a large thermos and drink throughout the day.

For me when I was underweight, olive oil was my secret weapon. If I was under my calorie amount at night, I can take a few spoonfuls and I'd reach it in 10 seconds.

If you are super active, you need to consume even more food to gain. Increase your calorie amount by +200 each week until you are gaining +0.5 to +1lb per week, then you'll know what you need to eat to gain weight.

CHEERS!
  • mrflipmode
    mrflipmode Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I'm in the same situation as your good self.
    I've taken on another 600 calories a day, which is really difficult as I'm slim.
    Since doing so and exercising I was dropping weight !

Try sticking to gaining 0.5lb per week.
    That's what im doing, anymore involved huge amounts of food that I just couldn't get down.

Since I moved to .5lb per week I have actually gained some weight.

Good luck

• jeremys325
    Options
    Find caloric dense foods that are easy to consume.

Thinks like peanut butter or olive oil come to mind, or those "nuts n' more" high calorie spreadables. You can make super high calorie shakes such as:

Whole fat milk, peanut/almond butter, 1-2 bananas, chocolate protein powder OR various fruits, 1-3 tablespoons of olive oil (each tablespoon is 120 calories. Your shake is an additional 500-700 calories depending on how much you throw in there. Put it in a large thermos and drink throughout the day.

For me when I was underweight, olive oil was my secret weapon. If I was under my calorie amount at night, I can take a few spoonfuls and I'd reach it in 10 seconds.

If you are super active, you need to consume even more food to gain. Increase your calorie amount by +200 each week until you are gaining +0.5 to +1lb per week, then you'll know what you need to eat to gain weight.

CHEERS!

Thanks bro I'll definitely take your advice, never knew Olive oil has so many calories
  • jeremys325
    Options

giphy.gif

Drinking a gallon is just a ton of calories. I would never do it. But you can. I think it would tear up my stomach.

Yea most likely mine too, but was just wondering, been told it would help me bulk faster
  • angeltruhlar666
    angeltruhlar666 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey hmu we can do this together
  • psuLemon
    Options

giphy.gif

Yea most likely mine too, but was just wondering, been told it would help me bulk faster

Bulking faster = more fat. Bulk at the rate that will help you reach your fitness goal, not your weight goal. I rather be more slim as a bulk than a big mess.
  • jeremys325
    Options

giphy.gif

Bulking faster = more fat. Bulk at the rate that will help you reach your fitness goal, not your weight goal. I rather be more slim as a bulk than a big mess.

U are definitely right about that, never looked at it like that