Body fat %

Options
Hey everyone so my goal is to get my body fat % at 10 and to how puddly maintain that. I use those handheld devices to measure, while I know those aren't always the most accurate I have been consistently using the same tool for some time now. Can anyone explain how my weight is maintaining but my bf has increased by 1-2% over a month? Diet and exercise are still going well.? It's so frustrating last month I was 161 lbs at 11.5% today I'm 12.8!!

Replies

• ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    You probably drank more/less water, or simply retained more/less water on one of the days that you measured. The hand-held devices have the same problems that the scales have - the amount of water and electrolytes in your body at a given time can drastically alter the amount of body fat that registers.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    If you're really, really serious about your body fat percentages, get one of those Dexascans or Bod Pod measurements. They are accurate and you will have a baseline to work from. Other than that you are just going by eyeball test and crude measurements at best.

Good luck!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    The bioelectrical impedance devices are drastically impacted by water retention. For best results measure naked first thing in the morning before consuming any food or beverages.
  • se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    You probably drank more/less water, or simply retained more/less water on one of the days that you measured. The hand-held devices have the same problems that the scales have - the amount of water and electrolytes in your body at a given time can drastically alter the amount of body fat that registers.

I was thinking water may impact it but wasn't sure. Thank you!
  • se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    If you're really, really serious about your body fat percentages, get one of those Dexascans or Bod Pod measurements. They are accurate and you will have a baseline to work from. Other than that you are just going by eyeball test and crude measurements at best.

Good luck!

Do you have experience using these? Are they pricey? I'm just serious about getting to my goal and I'm always around 12-14 and I want to be 10! But I also don't want to lose muscle and get super skinny either ugh it's so hard!
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Give me until Thursday and I am going to post a comparison of DXA, BodPod, Impedence and Tape Measure calculations. I had a DXA run on Monday and am scheduled for a BodPod tomorrow.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    The DXA is usually around $100 and BodPod around $50. You can get multi-scan packages at a discount.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Check around on prices. I work at a university that charges $50 for one DXA and $70 for a two scan package.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    Hydrostatic body fat testing is the simplest, cheapest and most accurate way to measure your body fat vs lean muscle mass.

I got hydrostatic tested every 3 months when I was cut 3 yrs ago from 198 to 158. The mobile outfit I used chatged $49 for the 1st test and $40 for each retest. Doesn't get any cheaper than that.

This reminds me. I also need to get retested soon now that I've achieved my goal weight of 175. I want to recomp down to 15% BF from the 20% BF where I think I am now but won't know for sure where I am now until I get tested again.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    The handheld devices are not that accurate that 1-2% is even a significant difference.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    Give me until Thursday and I am going to post a comparison of DXA, BodPod, Impedence and Tape Measure calculations. I had a DXA run on Monday and am scheduled for a BodPod tomorrow.

Oh! I am looking forward to your results! :smiley:
  • powered85
    powered85 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I use the accumeasure bf% callipers and notice it can change a couple % points based on how much exercise or water I'm retaining. Usually measure first thing in the morning as it is generally the leanest I'll be all day.

Possible it's just water retention that you're dealing with.