Reality check?

Options
Hi all - wanted to find out what everyone's thoughts were on specific food groups causing inflammation and how this can hamper weight loss. A potential trainer recommended cutting out dairy and gluten completely (though I tolerate both) citing inflammation. How does consumption of inflammatory foods cause you to not lose weight? Cutting out entire food groups doesn't seem like a long term solution for me. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Unless you've been told to cut something out by a doctor (as in your MD, not a chiropractor or naturopath or trainer) that sounds like utter woo to me.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    It's bro-science really. It only matters if you have intolerances to either. I still eat plenty of both and have no issues with losing weight. Heck, I've had to up my calories several times because I was losing too fast.
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a diagnosed intolerance or a definite pattern of very obvious symptoms following consumption of a particular ingredient, then there's no benefit to cutting out these food groups. "Inflammation" seems to have been hijacked as a scary buzzword by certain "nutritionists".

And either you or I could set up as a "nutritionist" tomorrow. It's meaningless.
  • tisdalla
    tisdalla Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. It wasn't sitting well with me but I wasn't sure if that was bc I enjoy bread and cheese - lol!
  • tisdalla
    tisdalla Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    tisdalla wrote: »
    Hi all - wanted to find out what everyone's thoughts were on specific food groups causing inflammation and how this can hamper weight loss. A potential trainer recommended cutting out dairy and gluten completely (though I tolerate both) citing inflammation. How does consumption of inflammatory foods cause you to not lose weight? Cutting out entire food groups doesn't seem like a long term solution for me. Thanks in advance!

I have a question please, if you don't mind:

What process did the trainer go through in order to arrive at the conclusion that dairy and gluten are causing inflammation that is preventing weight loss for you?

Did he draw blood and run a test? I suspect not since that would be damn strange.

As a trainer/coach, I'm fascinated that any trainer would ever make this recommendation, and so I'd like to know what information he got from you, or tests he ran, in order to validate his recommendation.

Exactly! No tests:) This was an introductory conversation - just a quick - "let's clean up your diet before we talk about an exercise plan by cutting out dairy and gluten". It just didn't seem right to me. I've read, "it starts with food" and while I do think it is something that can work short term (whole30) to determine if you suffer from intolerance and from what, it doesn't seem like something that should be done as a first step for weight loss. Yes cutting dairy can also cut fat and calories and cutting gluten means that you have to make healthier, less refined carb based choices but I think that is what needs to be high lighted not demonizing certain foods:)
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »

I have a question please, if you don't mind:

What process did the trainer go through in order to arrive at the conclusion that dairy and gluten are causing inflammation that is preventing weight loss for you?

Did he draw blood and run a test? I suspect not since that would be damn strange.

As a trainer/coach, I'm fascinated that any trainer would ever make this recommendation, and so I'd like to know what information he got from you, or tests he ran, in order to validate his recommendation.

Exactly! No tests:) This was an introductory conversation - just a quick - "let's clean up your diet before we talk about an exercise plan by cutting out dairy and gluten". It just didn't seem right to me. I've read, "it starts with food" and while I do think it is something that can work short term (whole30) to determine if you suffer from intolerance and from what, it doesn't seem like something that should be done as a first step for weight loss. Yes cutting dairy can also cut fat and calories and cutting gluten means that you have to make healthier, less refined carb based choices but I think that is what needs to be high lighted not demonizing certain foods:)

I basically agree with everything you just said.

Although, I do think it's a bit harder to diagnose intolerance via experimentation due to biases.

But that's a quite minor point among the rest of the stuff you said, which I agree with.

It sounds like you have a pretty good outlook on this and hopefully you ditch that trainer.