Should I recomp or stay in deficit?

Options
Stats: 5'11'', 148lbs., 30 yo

I'm nearing what I thought was my goal weight of 145 and I'm wondering what to do next. I've lost almost all of my baby weight (8.5mo postpartum), but still have a ways to go in terms of body composition. So far, I haven't exercised at all, just calorie deficit. I know heavy lifting would help and will start lifting regardless. I'm averaging 12,000 calories a week and losing a little over a pound a week. Should I eat my calculated maintenance and settle in for the long haul of a recomp or keep the deficit to lean out a little more first? Eat just under maintenance? I guess I'm worried that if I eat too close to maintenance, it'll take forever to get the leaner look I want.

b6dt5zzp1zse.jpg

Replies

• bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    You are at a healthy weight right now. It would take a little over 10 pounds before you get to the underweight category. If you decide to continue to lose a couple more pounds do it a lot slower.
  • BigBadVanna
    BigBadVanna Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    bioklutz wrote: »
    You are at a healthy weight right now. It would take a little over 10 pounds before you get to the underweight category. If you decide to continue to lose a couple more pounds do it a lot slower.

Thank you for your response. I've been upping my calories by 100/day every week to slow down the loss, as was suggested on this site. I was trying to not increase it too much at a time, but you're definitely right, I need to lose at a slower rate now that I'm close to goal.

• B4Rachael
    B4Rachael Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Eating at maintenance & starting to lift sounds better than eating at a deficit. *Assuming that you really haven't exercised at all* Because you will burn off some of your maintenance calories when you do lift/exercise.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Maintain and lift/exercise would be my advice. Your clavicles and upper ribs are starting to show.
    Remember you can always return to a (small) deficit at some time in the future if you should choose to.

Eating more will support your body better while starting a new exercise regime helping with both training and recovery.
  • BigBadVanna
    BigBadVanna Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thank you, everyone! I will increase to what I believe is maintenance, start lifting some weights, and see where it gets me.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Thank you, everyone! I will increase to what I believe is maintenance, start lifting some weights, and see where it gets me.

Good plan. Just be mindful that gaining muscle is a very slow process so don't expect instant results. Especially near maintenance.