Is it healthy to lose so much in one week?

Options
So in the past 4 days I have really started to watch what I eat and count how many colories I consume. In the last 5 days I have been excerising each day and doing a minimum of 7km decent pace walks up and down rocky trails. I jumped on the scales this morning and noticed i have lost 3.1kg.
I was just wondering if this is normal to lose such a large amount of weight during your first week? And also if it is healthy to do so?

Please help

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    It isn't all fat loss. Some of it is water weight. Generally, people experience a big loss at the beginning because it may be such a large deficit compared to what they were eating before and then it tapers down to something more sustainable.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,853 Member
    Options
    A healthy rate of weight loss is around 1% of your then-current body weight per week (max), but the first week doesn't really count. We tend to lose a bunch of water weight at first from the change in eating habits, but that typically ends after the first week or so.

Just set your calorie deficit so that - if the calculator is correct for your body - you'd lose no more than 1% (less is fine, and may even be better for you, long-term). Then monitor your weight for a 2-3 weeks. If you're losing too fast, or feel it's unsustainable long term, or you get fatigued, eat a little more. If you're losing slower than your target, consider eating a little less (or not, if you're happy with the actual loss rate).

But throw out the results from week 1, when you determine your loss rate, as it's an exception for most people.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    At the start most of your scale weight losses will be water. Keep going and don't worry.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    You're fine for now as the majority of that loss is just water weight.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, people gain muscle so they don't lose weight.
    That always makes me wonder if that means when people lose weight fast like this it might be muscle mass. Do you feel any weaker?

This person is starting a troll topic, try to ingnore them.