New to This- first week and lost nothing!

Options
2»

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Hey, if you work out everyday and eat well check it in a month you may have a little surprise, but it is all about how much your body uses its calories eg you may have a intake of 1600 calories exercise burns I dunno 300, but your body might already be putting on 1000 calories so you won't see a massive change, everyone is different but if your exercising it's a step in the right direction :)

i have no idea what any of that means?
  • veryberrycocoa
    veryberrycocoa Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day and weight fluctuates violently sometimes depending on various factors like sodium rich meals, exercise, size of meals and hormones. The last peak you see in the chart is actually a 3.5 pound gain overnight.

qz98rcn0xf97.png

Having only 25 lb to lose, your rate of weight loss will naturally fall between 0.5 and 1 pounds a week, which can very easily be masked by any water weight fluctuation.

This is insanely helpful- thank you so much for sharing this. Thank you! 3.5 overnight would have been one heck of a feast :P x
  • veryberrycocoa
    Options
    Thanks everyone, sorry I think I just got a bit paranoid. I wanted to know I was on the right track and just felt like nothing had even got going. But maybe I'm being too impatient. x
  • jlkrantz
    jlkrantz Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I think you're putting WAY too much pressure on yourself. You shouldn't be weighing yourself everyday because that number isn't realistic. Try weighing yourself once a week on the same day and time every week AND definitely measure yourself weekly because you are probably losing inches in your waist that you don't even notice since you're so transfixed on that number on the scale.

Focus on non-scale victories as well, such as, are your clothes fitting looser?

Stick with it. You've got this!
  • veryberrycocoa
    Options
    jlkrantz wrote: »
    I think you're putting WAY too much pressure on yourself. You shouldn't be weighing yourself everyday because that number isn't realistic. Try weighing yourself once a week on the same day and time every week AND definitely measure yourself weekly because you are probably losing inches in your waist that you don't even notice since you're so transfixed on that number on the scale.

Well if I'm honest I haven't really noticed a change in clothes yet... I'm still plugging away though. I am overweight for my height, lots of people saying 28lbs isn't a lot, but its enough to get me down to a healthy BMI.

I have been overweight for years and i finally decided to do something about it and haven't really had any result for almost three weeks of work but i know a lot of people are saying it's fluctuation etc.

So I think I'm just frustrated for now, I've finally got my butt in gear but alas my butt is still big ha xx
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Okay just to give you some perspective, when I started on here it took me a year to lose 20 pounds.

There were literally weeks when I didn't see any movement on the scale, and then overnight 2 pounds would drop off.

You just have to keep doing it and trust the process, even if you don't see the scale moving. Keep doing it.
  • mrflipmode
    mrflipmode Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hi again, it works both ways, isn't it annoying !
    I've been eating over 3000 calories per day for the last 3 weeks and cannot put an ounce on.
    Do me a favour and smash my weigh scales, i keep checking, too often !
    Hang in there anyway, im sure there's 1000s who would be jealous of your achievements up to now

Have a nice weekend
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

Well if I'm honest I haven't really noticed a change in clothes yet... I'm still plugging away though. I am overweight for my height, lots of people saying 28lbs isn't a lot, but its enough to get me down to a healthy BMI.

I have been overweight for years and i finally decided to do something about it and haven't really had any result for almost three weeks of work but i know a lot of people are saying it's fluctuation etc.

So I think I'm just frustrated for now, I've finally got my butt in gear but alas my butt is still big ha xx

People are saying this because the less you have to lose the slower and harder the loss becomes. It's just to give you perspective on what to expect. It's not meant in any way to make you feel like your goals aren't as important as others'.

For comparison: when I needed to lose 150 lb, I used to lose 3 pounds a week. Now that I'm more than halfway there, the rate of my weight loss has slowed down to about 1-1.5 pounds a week. In the future when I start getting closer to my normal weight I expect to start losing as slow as 0.3-0.5 pounds a week, with lots of weeks showing no loss at all. I have reasonable expectations for when I get to that point. I expect to have to wait for weeks before seeing change on the scale.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Ahhh its only been a week since you buckled down. Give this another 2 weeks and I bet you will start trending down. I know its frustrating. I had 20 to loose and I can't tell you how long it took me to get this right.

Being female puts another huge factor into the equation and I had to use that scale for it was worth and that was trending my weight weekly to iron out all the water weight fluctuation. I saw my scale as evil as it wanted to laugh at me constantly. If you change exercise (volume or intensity) its gonna show on the scale, as well as sodium, hydration or lack there of, carb intake, muscle repair, and those glorious couple of times a month we swell like whales during our monthly cycle..

Do not see the scale as your evil, use it to trend weight. It will help you make peace with all of this and actually see you are or will be loosing fat now that you are buckled down! Maybe look into a weight trending app (Happy Scale, weightgrapher, etc..)
  • strebor337
    strebor337 Posts: 168 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I would add that your challenge isn't too lose weight, it's to change the way you live. If you don't do that the weight will just come back, and it doesn't happen in a day, a week, or sometimes even in a month. Pay attention not just to what the scale tells you, but to what your body is telling you and how you feel. Do you feel healthier? I would recommend having a fitness journal that you write down why you're starting this journey and how you feel about yourself. Go back and read it every few months so you can gage your progress from when you started. Be confident. You got this!
  • veryberrycocoa
    Options

People are saying this because the less you have to lose the slower and harder the loss becomes. It's just to give you perspective on what to expect. It's not meant in any way to make you feel like your goals aren't as important as others'.

For comparison: when I needed to lose 150 lb, I used to lose 3 pounds a week. Now that I'm more than halfway there, the rate of my weight loss has slowed down to about 1-1.5 pounds a week. In the future when I start getting closer to my normal weight I expect to start losing as slow as 0.3-0.5 pounds a week, with lots of weeks showing no loss at all. I have reasonable expectations for when I get to that point. I expect to have to wait for weeks before seeing change on the scale.

Wow thank you.congrats on your losses btw x
  • veryberrycocoa
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Ahhh its only been a week since you buckled down. Give this another 2 weeks and I bet you will start trending down. I know its frustrating. I had 20 to loose and I can't tell you how long it took me to get this right.

Being female puts another huge factor into the equation and I had to use that scale for it was worth and that was trending my weight weekly to iron out all the water weight fluctuation. I saw my scale as evil as it wanted to laugh at me constantly. If you change exercise (volume or intensity) its gonna show on the scale, as well as sodium, hydration or lack there of, carb intake, muscle repair, and those glorious couple of times a month we swell like whales during our monthly cycle..

Do not see the scale as your evil, use it to trend weight. It will help you make peace with all of this and actually see you are or will be loosing fat now that you are buckled down! Maybe look into a weight trending app (Happy Scale, weightgrapher, etc..)

Thank you! I'll look into those apps I've never heard of them before. Well, I've noticed over the past fortnight that what was initially a huge struggle -doing 30 mins cardio- is getting easier and quicker. So that's different for sure.

Deep down I know that diet and exercising with lead to a loss it is almost impossible to really actually gain fat doing this, I just think I'm a bit frustrated and a lil paranoid. I'm plugging away, back at the gym now..

Thanks everyone for all help x
  • nadler64
    nadler64 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about not losing for one week! But if it continues, make sure you're weighing and counting every bite you put in your mouth (yes, testing the dinner you're cooking counts..) and you'll be good to go. :smile: If you don't have one already, food scales at walmart are like $10 or less and pretty reliable.

This. Every bite and sip counts. Weigh everything. Measure everything. if you don't do this, it's so easy to eat an extra 500 calories a day it's frightening. Even an extra 200 calories a day (one Hershey bar!!) adds up to 20 pounds a year. And yes, watch the trends over time, not the changes from day to day or even week to week. That's guaranteed to discourage you. Keep in mind, it's a marathon, not a sprint.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Your body is a biological system, not a machine, so all these calculations on calorie intake/output (CICO) are based upon an average of a given population. You will not have the same results as anyone else due to your genetics and environment - far too many variables that you are not tracking because you are likely not even aware of.

This is a marathon, not a sprint, so stay the course, review the results and implement positive changes. You aren't so much losing weight, but changing habits that will make you better, faster, stronger, leaner. Do not get discouraged or frustrated - nothing worth having comes easily or quickly.