BCAAs and Whey Protein

Options
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to get opinions on taking BCAAs and Whey Protein. As my main focus is on losing fat, it goes without saying that I'm doing this by lowering my calorie intake (TDEE-25%) and making sure I get a good amount of protein (through real foods).

I'm not normally into supplements, although I've been drinking protein shakes for years after a weight lifting workout. Apart from that I avoid them. However, I'm just about to start upping my dance training, which is very intense already, and I've read that taking BCAAs prior to an intense session could help with performance and recovery.

I have struggled once or twice with energy levels in class, which are often at awkward times - today, for example, I have class from 5-6pm, then again from 8pm-11pm! I know I should expect a slight dip in energy because I'm in a calorie deficit, so if BCAAs can help with this I wouldn't mind giving them a try.

On the other hand...if it's all just broscience then I won't waste my money.

Thoughts welcome!

Replies

• DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Athletes need to replenish glycogen stores. So many of them do this by drinking protein drinks before and/or after workouts.

ETA link:
    http://breakingmuscle.com/mobility-recovery/eating-to-recover-how-and-what-to-eat-post-workout
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    BCAA is another necessary hype - you have them available in most of your protein so no real need to waste money on that. Energy during your workout is irrelevant unless you take BCAA mixed with other supplements (Amino X as an example).
    Whey - your call - won't make result appear faster than eating normal food.
  • caimay199
    caimay199 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I only really drink a whey protein shake to up my protein levels. I'm more concerned with energy levels at this point, and from what I've read BCAAs, unlike food, are delivered straight into your blood stream and have been shown to reduce fatigue during a workout.
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Skip the bcaa. From my personal experience i saw no change going from not taking them to taking them and no change from taking them to not again.

As for whey take it if you cant get enough protien from food, sumple as that. For me i use a whey suppliment because i wouldnt get enough otherwise.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    So, your main goal is to lose weight. As you probably know - as long as you keep a caloric deficit you will accomplish that.

However, you more than likely also want to preserve muscle mass so you look toned and don't have to build as much back once you hit your goal. You do this with exercise and sufficient protein.

As for the whey and BCAA's, here is my take.

There is nothing wrong with protein shakes as long as 1) they aren't your main source of protein and 2) they are high quality and not filled with a bunch of other stuff. It sounds like you are using them as they are really intended - to enhance your protein intake from food. I'd recommend a good quality protein shake to anyone as long as those 2 items are observed.

BCAA's are not that big of a deal either, IMO, but may not really be necessary. BCAA's are just branched chain amino acids. Amino acids are what protein is broken down into when is it digested. In fact, whey gets so much attention because it is considered the most "complete" protein which means when it is broken down into AA's, it is giving you almost everything you need. Taking BCAA's or any other amino acid is just getting the building blocks into your bloodstream quicker because you are skipping some steps. If you are eating well and fairly often, I doubt you really need to spend the money on them. Again, I don't think there is anything wrong with them as long as you don't go crazy and are using BCAA's that don't have a bunch of other stuff tagging along. BTW, they aren't really 0 calories, either - that is just an FDA issue where they can label them as 0. They don't have much calories for the amount you would usually take, but still...

However, here is something to consider. Whey is great. Use it if you want to. But while losing weight, you might consider a milk protein or a whey/casein blend (which is what milk protein is). Casein is digested slower than whey, so you get a steadier stream of amino's in the blood over a longer time period instead of a spike like whey does. This essentially gives you the same effect as sipping BCAA's during a workout.

Also, another thought - if you are looking for energy, I think carbs and a little fat give me more energy. You can just play around with it, but I usually eat an energy bar with some combo of 10-20g protein, 20-50g carbs, and 2-6g fat before a workout. I think if you do that, you'll see that adding BCAA's isn't going to really let you push that much harder.
  • Vegplotter
    Vegplotter Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Why eat chemicals when you can eat food? The thing these protein supplements never tell you is that your body needs carbs and fat to metabolise protein. So drinking something like full milk will give you a far better boost than ingesting a chemical ameno acid stripped of other nutrients. If you feel tired doing two exercise classes in one night it might be wise to give one of them a miss?
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I would only say to take BCAAs if for some reason you can't eat and haven't had protein in awhile. For instance, if you can't stomach a meal/whey shake or don't have time to digest it in the morning before a workout or in between training sessions. I've also read that its supposed to reduce fatigue, but for that, I think you'll get much more bang for buck by refueling with carbs between training.
  • Neanbean13
    Neanbean13 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    abadvat wrote: »
    BCAA is another necessary hype - you have them available in most of your protein so no real need to waste money on that. Energy during your workout is irrelevant unless you take BCAA mixed with other supplements (Amino X as an example).
    Whey - your call - won't make result appear faster than eating normal food.

This. Save your money on this crap. Just eat.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Vegplotter wrote: »
    Why eat chemicals when you can eat food? The thing these protein supplements never tell you is that your body needs carbs and fat to metabolise protein. So drinking something like full milk will give you a far better boost than ingesting a chemical ameno acid stripped of other nutrients. If you feel tired doing two exercise classes in one night it might be wise to give one of them a miss?

The CHEMIKALZ in a tub of BCAAs, leucine, isoleucine, and valine, are exactly the same CHEMIKALZOHMYGHERD as found in a glass of milk or an egg or a chicken breast. Exactly.

Can you show any evidence that protein biosynthesis, proteolysis, or amino acid degradation require the presence of fats or carbohydrates?
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »
    Athletes need to replenish glycogen stores. So many of them do this by drinking protein drinks before and/or after workouts.

Glycogen is mostly replenished from carbohydrates, not protein. ;)

OP, i think you'll get the most energy by having a snack containing carbs right after the first session. During the 2nd session, if your energy drops, you might consider some sugar, fruit juice, or a carbohydrate-containing sports drink. Personally i opt for Skittles. The glucose goes straight to the muscles. :+1:
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Just got done listening to a podcast about BCAAs. The main conclusion - if you're already meeting protein goals they're a waste of money. The only people that may benefit are those who can't digest protein well for medical reason or need to refuel during really, REALLY long endurance sport.

ETA: link to podcast from Sigma Nutrition
    http://sigmanutrition.com/episode134/
  • iManifestGoals
    iManifestGoals Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Caffeine.
  • iManifestGoals
    iManifestGoals Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Ask any body builder who is gigantic. Or Serena Williams Hopman Cup.
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    You can get most of your protein from the foods you normally eat. When protein isn't necessary unless you're having a hard time getting enough protein for some reason.
  • caimay199
    caimay199 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hmm interesting. I think I'm gonna give them a try. Even the effect is just mental, I'll take it! I'll see how it goes for the first month or so while I adjust my training, and then see if it's making any difference.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    DebSozo wrote: »

Glycogen is mostly replenished from carbohydrates, not protein. ;)

OP, i think you'll get the most energy by having a snack containing carbs right after the first session. During the 2nd session, if your energy drops, you might consider some sugar, fruit juice, or a carbohydrate-containing sports drink. Personally i opt for Skittles. The glucose goes straight to the muscles. :+1:

Protein can produce up to 1/3 glycogen.
  • SoniaJay1
    SoniaJay1 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I would recommend amino energy by ON. I have been taking supplements for many years now and this product is will have the benefits of BCAA as well as tackling energy. Protein will also have BCAAs so its not necessary to buy it alone unless you struggle with muscle recovery and even then there are better supplements available. There are tons of products for amino and energy but i like the line up of flavors available from ON.
    caimay199 wrote: »
    Hmm interesting. I think I'm gonna give them a try. Even the effect is just mental, I'll take it! I'll see how it goes for the first month or so while I adjust my training, and then see if it's making any difference.
  • edwardetr
    edwardetr Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Whey includes the BCAAs already. Try whey and a simple carbohydrate solution to replenish after the first workout to help with energy for the second.