Net calories

Options
I get why MFP doesn't want you to go below 1200 calories and warns you if you do, but why doesn't it warn you when you net below 1200 calories? I often net below 1200 and get no warning. Is is different because I still ate more than 1200 even though I burned some of that off?

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I think so...I don't often go below net 1200 so...never really noticed.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Makes me wonder why under 1200 is so bad if you're still getting all the nutrients you need.
  • B4Rachael
    B4Rachael Posts: 155 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    MFP will give a warning if you are below 1000 calories when you try to complete your diary for the day.

>>"Based on your total calories consumed for today, you are likely not eating enough.

For safe weight loss, the National Institutes of Health recommends no less than 1000-1200 calories for women and 1200-1500 calories for men.

Completing your diary with fewer than the minimum calories noted above will not generate a news feed post for that day, or show a five-week weight projection.

Even during weight loss, it's important to meet your body's basic nutrient and energy needs. Over time, not eating enough can lead to nutrient deficiencies, unpleasant side effects & other serious health problems.

To safely meet your goals:

Focus on consuming nutrient-rich foods and beverages
    Check your progress in MyFitnessPal throughout the day
    Add nutritious snacks between meals as needed"<<

• fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    B4Rachael wrote: »
    MFP will give a warning if you are below 1000 calories when you try to complete your diary for the day.

>>"Based on your total calories consumed for today, you are likely not eating enough.

For safe weight loss, the National Institutes of Health recommends no less than 1000-1200 calories for women and 1200-1500 calories for men.

I don't mean when I complete my diary though. If you see my diary today I ate 1307 calories, but I've only netted 829 calories. So does the recommendation mean just calories eaten or net calories.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    fr33sia12 wrote: »
    Makes me wonder why under 1200 is so bad if you're still getting all the nutrients you need.

1200 can be fine for some...and if you plan it out very well you can get all your nutrition in...but most don't plan it out.

• Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    I remember reading somewhere like FDA or similar that the recommendation is for women to eat no less than 1200 cals a day. It didn't mention anything about net. I don't know.

Personally I don't think (maybe for the above reason) that netting under 1200 is bad. Eating under 1200 total however in my opinion is too little.

I think other nutrients are important and you can't get them from less than 1200.
  • kylohart
    kylohart Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    When you eat under 1200 calories you're body is probably not getting enough energy and nutrition to sustain basal metabolic function ( all the amazing chemical reactions your body does everyday to keep you functioning: pump your heart, make new skin cells, supply energy to toe brain ect)

So even if your net calories is under 1200 calories as long as you've eaten enough to meet your basal metabolic needs your body will prioritize your intake to meet those energy needs.