Fish oil for stomach issues.

Options
Since I started losing weight I've had some issues come up. Nothing serious but this one in particular has bothered me a bit. I know that it's common for people not to have a bowl movement for up to three days. I've always been regular at one day intervals (my apologies for the tmi). How ever not too long ago I noticed that I've been having trouble defacating. It's been a real effort some times and usually by the 3rd day I have a big movement. I get it that I may not be consuming a lot of food and that I may not need to go as frequent but I get that daily feeling of needing to go and when I do, I staring and it's a miniscule movement. I've had doctor visits recently and blood work is fine with the exception of hypertension but that's being treated with medicine while I keep losing weight.

Since changing my eating habits I included quite a bit more of greens so as to increase my fiber intake. I don't see that to be a big help though. Recently though, I had a moment weak moment and had a good amount of crackling (porkrinds with some of the fat still attached) about 1000 calories worth. For the next three days I noticed a big difference in bowl movement in that there really wasn't any strain. I assume then that possibly I may not be eating enough fats (been on 40 30 30)?

Long story for this simple question, barring any medical conditions ( of which I might now be aware of but can follow up with my doctor) would something like a fish oil supplement help me or am I just jumping to conclusions on this fat intake vs bowel symptom issue?

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Dietary fat is necessary for many bodily functions. Plenty of people eat high fat & lose weight. Fiber, water & movement also help with regularity.

I'm not sure a fish oil supplement will make much difference, it's usually a pretty small dose. But nuts, nut butter, avocado & olive oil are great sources for fat.

Increase your fiber gradually. There are 2 kinds of fiber, soluble and insoluble. I like a bowl of oatmeal in the morning it has both kinds of fiber.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/insoluble-soluble-fiber
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    I found low fat diet to be a problem also. Nice you figured it out early on.
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I started taking Fish Oil when I had the same problem at the suggestion of a friend who was a little further in the game than I was.

Totes worked. May be anecdotal. It's an off label use for sure. May not work for you. BUT, I take three a day (two for me, one for baby) and I have zero problems with bms, those associated with pregnancy or otherwise.
  • joseccastaneda
    joseccastaneda Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. You gave me a good amount to consider. I don't think I would have an issue trying at least temporarily the fish oil products but definitely need to consider the other food I eat.

Thanks again.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I've had some stomach issues as well and I started taking Triphala. Works great! If you try it make sure to get Organic Triphala. 2 at night before bed and you'll be "moving" in the am. Its safe to take daily as its just a combo of 3 fruits.
  • Vegplotter
    Vegplotter Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    The reason you are having problems is probably because you aren't eating enough fat or fibre. Try 100ml whole milk for breakfast and some wholemeal toast, or 10g rolled oats blitzed in a smoothie. (Veg isn't as good as grains)
    A cup of real coffee and a lot of water will really help.
    Poo is waste protein (to a greater extent) so make sure you are eating enough of that too.
    Try not to rely on supplements. Diets should be a time to learn forever eating habits.
    Oh and walking loosens up the system too. So get off to the park and enjoy!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Yes, fats and oils are great for greasing the pipes.
  • maidengirl_
    maidengirl_ Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I have had digestive problems myself and what really helps is drinking 1-2 ounces of natural aloe vera juice :)
  • Giancarlolsx7
    Giancarlolsx7 Posts: 33 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Get some probiotics for colon care "garden of life" is the best brand and they must stay in the fridge. They are about 30$ work extremely well. I've been taking them for 6 months+ now.
  • Sapphire_Elf
    Sapphire_Elf Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Hallelujah.... I have had the same issue - used to be regular as clockwork in the morning, then that gradually changed to mid-afternoon and now it's every couple of days. Got quite worried about it all, but reading this makes me think it may be a lack of fat in my diet. That doesn't mean im going to run out and start eating sticks of butter lol but i will try and introduce more fats and see if it makes a difference.