Diary check

Options
Hey guys, I've been keeping up with my diary for over 40 consecutive says now. I've been tweaking a tiny bit here n there and aiming to find a good balance to hit my macros. Can anyone take a look at my diary and see if it's just generally healthy?

Replies

• BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I think everyone might have a different opinion on what is healthy :smile: If you feel good, if you're losing weight, hitting your goals, etc. than keep doing what you're doing. I looked at your diary and personally I don't eat anything that you eat, but that doesn't mean it's not healthy. I consider a plant-based, vegetarian, clean diet healthy, but that's what works for me.
  • reineke1992
    reineke1992 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I think everyone might have a different opinion on what is healthy :smile: If you feel good, if you're losing weight, hitting your goals, etc. than keep doing what you're doing. I looked at your diary and personally I don't eat anything that you eat, but that doesn't mean it's not healthy. I consider a plant-based, vegetarian, clean diet healthy, but that's what works for me.

Thanks for the response! I'm unsure how to look at other people's diaries or I'd look around at other people I see post. I am a super picky eater and have found that rice seems to be very healthy (aside from sodium) but my salt level is generally at or just slightly over the recommended limit. And is ~1600 calories enough per day to not be detrimental. I see that MFP recommends men get atleast 1200-1500 minimum so I assume I'm fine.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    MFP doesn't just recommend a minimum of 1500 calories for men, it doesn't allow you to go below that (as far as a webside's authority can go - you get a warning if you try to complete your diary).

I would personally get sick from lack of variety, and I'd really be pushing it a bit to call it "generally healthy" - but what's important for you is that you are happy with your diet. Do you feel energetic and alert? Satisfied and in a good mood? If so, it's working for you.
  • Spitspot81
    Spitspot81 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I would be interested to hear how to view others food diaries, just to give me some inspiration
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    spitapot81 wrote: »
    I would be interested to hear how to view others food diaries, just to give me some inspiration

click on the profile name twice, if they have an open diary it will be an option to view on their profile page.
  • reineke1992
    Options
    Is it considered unhealthy if I'm still staying under MFP nutrient limits? I don't go over calories, fats, carbs, etc. And most days I hit the protein goals.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    Hrm.

First, what are your stats? 1600 calories might be appropriate for a shorter man, or someone who has a lot to lose. It's not going to be appropriate if you're tall and trying to shed some vanity lbs.

Next, based on your entries, it doesn't look like you're weighing and measuring your food - I'm seeing cups, slices, and whole numbers rather than anything listed in grams. If you're losing, that's fine. Just be aware you're probably eating more calories than you're logging, and if your weight loss starts to stall that will be one of the first things you'll want to change.

Next, you rarely hit your protein goal. MFP generally sets protein too low to begin with, and some days you're not even eating half of your recommended target. When you're in a deficit, eating adequate protein helps preserve muscle. When you lose weight, you lose fat and muscle - you want to encourage your body to shed as much fat as possible while keeping as much muscle as possible.

Eating the same foods all the time can lead to micronutrient deficiencies. You might check in on your full nutrition data (easy to see on the app, harder to see one the website) from time to time to make sure you're not completely skipping some important vitamins and minerals.

In general, pay attention to how you feel. If you're constantly hungry, adjust your macros (more protein, more fat). If your nails get brittle or your hair gets thin, you might need more calories. If your skin or hair lose their glow, eat more fat. If you're doing ok right now, keep at it, but consider upping your protein to help keep your muscle. Check in with yourself and adjust as needed.
  • reineke1992
    Options
    I'm a 24 year old male.
    5 foot 11 inches
    Started at 262 pounds, currently 239.
  • chocolate_owl
    Options
    I'm a 24 year old male.
    5 foot 11 inches

I'm guessing you're currently set up to lose 2 lbs per week. That's probably still appropriate, but make sure you eat those 1600 calories. When you're less than 75 lbs from your goal weight, see what your weight loss rate is. If you're still losing 2+ lbs per week, change your goal to 1.5 lbs per week.
  • reineke1992
    Options
    I'm a 24 year old male.
    5 foot 11 inches

I'm guessing you're currently set up to lose 2 lbs per week. That's probably still appropriate, but make sure you eat those 1600 calories. When you're less than 75 lbs from your goal weight, see what your weight loss rate is. If you're still losing 2+ lbs per week, change your goal to 1.5 lbs per week.

Yes that is the current set up, I've got my goal set to 200-205 pounds (I weighed this last year when I was dieting and weightlifting religiously). I'll lower it to 1.5 pounds a week to up the calories a bit more. I've just renewed my gym membership again and purchased a new bicycle. I've got a 5 mile bike route in my area that I want to ride every weekday after work and want to hit the gym atleast 3-4 mornings each week. Should I be eating back exercise calories?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Looks very low on calories (coming in under your goal) and not nearly enough protein ( at your stats you should be getting at least 140 grams). Take your goal weight in lbs and eat 0.8 times that many grams. So if your goal is 180, then you would want a min protein of 144 grams.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Is it considered unhealthy if I'm still staying under MFP nutrient limits? I don't go over calories, fats, carbs, etc. And most days I hit the protein goals.

You have not hit protein in any of the days I checked, and the MFP number is already on the low side
  • SoozeE512
    SoozeE512 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Reach your calorie goal every day -- the deficit was already built in. Also, be careful with how much sodium you consume if you want to avoid the health risks that come with high blood pressure.
  • chocolate_owl
    Options
    I'm a 24 year old male.
    5 foot 11 inches

Yes that is the current set up, I've got my goal set to 200-205 pounds (I weighed this last year when I was dieting and weightlifting religiously). I'll lower it to 1.5 pounds a week to up the calories a bit more. I've just renewed my gym membership again and purchased a new bicycle. I've got a 5 mile bike route in my area that I want to ride every weekday after work and want to hit the gym atleast 3-4 mornings each week. Should I be eating back exercise calories?

Yes, definitely eat back exercise calories. Glad you're getting back in the gym, weight lifting is important. Once again, all about preserving muscle. Protein + weights are your friends.
  • reineke1992
    Options
    Ok thank you everyone, I will add a little more to the diet. I changed the goal to 1.5 pounds and owner it recommends 1840 calories daily. I'll hit that and add in more protein to aim for the 140 Mark like suggested. I'll also work on lowering the sodium levels. Thanks again to everyone in these forums
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Soooo... With as little as your are tracking (under 1600 calories most days)--are you actually losing weight currently?
  • reineke1992
    Options
    mitch16 wrote: »
    Soooo... With as little as your are tracking (under 1600 calories most days)--are you actually losing weight currently?

Yes I've been losing steadily still