Body Fat Questions

My trainer computed my body fat for me yesterday and I was SHOCKED-- and skeptical.

I have been training for the past 12 weeks with a trainer. Most training sessions are a mix of cardio and lifting. I go to the trainer at least 2x/week and sometimes as many as 4x/week.

Over the past 12 weeks, I have lost 28 inches and 7% of by body fat (fat pinchers)--- guess how many pounds I've lost? ONE. ONE pound.

Questions--

Is it possible to have your weight still be considered obese while your body fat is considered just "overweight"?

Should I add more cardio to get the pounds to come off? I workout 4-6x/week. When I am not with the trainer I am either: dancing in zumba, walking/running on the treadmill, or in a R.I.P.P.E.D. class.

TIA!

Replies

• EmmiDahling
    EmmiDahling Posts: 104 Member
    To be honest, I'd rather loses the inches and fat percentage while keeping the actual weight as long as I'm the size and the fitness level I want to be. Less muscle/fewer pounds = fewer calories I get to eat. I want my caloric intake at maitenance to be something I can live with long term and not so small I wind up going over and gaining back fat.
  • displacedbuck
    displacedbuck Posts: 1 Member
    it's absolutely possible. The measurements are more important than the bmi. If you are losing inches and body fat, you are on the right track. The scale is secondary.

I had a DEXA scan in March that showed body fat at 9.5% but I was still in the overweight category based on height and weight. That is how misleading BMI is when you are working out.

A year and a half after changing my lifestyle, I still have to remind myself that the scale is not as important as the measurements and body fat.

Keep going the way you are and the pounds will start to come off. The more muscle you build and the fitter you get, the more calories your body will burn at rest.
  • awesomek001
    awesomek001 Posts: 167 Member
    I have found that the BMI Calculation never seemed to correctly reflect my level of health. That's what you should be focusing on. SOunds like you're on the right track - - loosing inches and body fat. As others have said, the weight from fat will come off. Muscle does burn more calories and it also weighs more. Don't look just at the scale & BMI on this one.
  • Myxalplyx
    Myxalplyx Posts: 129 Member
    This is the kind of thread I needed to read. Thanks guys/gals!
  • DzzyButterfly
    DzzyButterfly Posts: 61 Member
    Thanks for the replies!

I guess I have a lot of muscle under my insulation. :)
  • jalloggio
    jalloggio Posts: 141
    Yes very possible. Look at it this way. the average bf% of a pro bodybuilder on stage is around 3 percent. Certainly just by bf they are not considered overweight. But if you took their BMI (which goes by weight and height) they would show as being obese!