Are there any foods that are banned in your head?

Options
tbullucks2006
tbullucks2006 Posts: 105 Member
edited August 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Even though I know I can have what I want in moderation, I have just banned some foods in my head all together. It's so weird because I seriously don't deprive myself of anything. However there are some foods that I heard along the way that were really bad so I don't touch them. For instance - pasta. I love love love pasta. With dieting though, I feel like i have committed a sin eating it. Even when I am not dieting I avoid Alfredo sauce because somewhere I've heard it's one of the worst things in life you can eat. I also no longer eat bagels for breakfast because I heard they are just empty calories for breakfast. The weird thing is that I eat all other kinds of crap foods just fine. Does anyone else do this or am I just crazy? Well I know I'm crazy but does anyone else do this???? :D

Replies

• oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    No food has been banned in my head. I am actively abstaining from particular food that is both calorie dense and which I have trouble moderating, but if offered it outside my home, I would likely accept. For example, doughnuts. So, no doughnuts in my cupboard, but ... not banned per se.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    Nope, no banned foods here. I like eating too much to think of banning anything.
  • brilliantwords
    brilliantwords Posts: 97 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I allow myself moderation of whatever I want as well, at least, this is the logic I follow so that I can maintain my loss so far, and HAVE so far for 7 years. This will allow a realistic approach for life. (IIFYM/If It Fits Your Macros).

However, my subconscious/guilt about pizza is something that still happens regardless. I have no idea why, I wish it didn't happen. It also happens with things like Kraft Dinner (prepackaged, crappy macros), even if it does in fact fit into my daily goal. Yet I'm totally fine logging some other crappy things.

Like I said, I logically know the difference from my personal experience with my own weight loss, so not sure why.

• Mentali
    Mentali Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I do struggle with those perceptions you're talking about - feeling guilty over eating something that seems unhealthy, even if you know it's not. It's not rational or rooted in facts, because I do eat unhealthier things but some things stick in my head, like burgers. Burgers are not bad! I know they're not bad! But every once in a while I have to remind myself that a burger is a fine meal because somewhere along the line my brain associated burgers with unhealthy. Logic usually prevails though :)
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    In addition, I don't think you're crazy. I think we are given so much information about food and diets and what is considered healthy by some and then opposite advice by others that at some point we take on opinions about food which may not necessarily be true, but which have been repeated and reinforced so often by others who have particular angles to work, that it's there in our heads.
  • Lazz5k
    Lazz5k Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    i dont think you're crazy. i have banned foods in my head too but they really make no sense. I.E. Baked potatoes, too many carbs! ; but then i'll order french fries with my steak. Like i said, it makes no sense! it's just in my head.
  • jeebieheebies
    jeebieheebies Posts: 68 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Store-bought muffins, and chocolate shell sauce, and battered deep-fried stuff! I don't love anything with that deep-fried batter so it isn't worth it to just munch on onion rings or whatever because they're there. Muffins because again, don't LOVE them, and also because I can make them at home and have em be way healthier and a smaller size, and they're like 600 calories at the store. And chocolate shell because my aunt used to talk about how junky it was and it just stuck with me and now I have a "health aversion" to it, all the time, not just when being health-conscious!

And not sure why @AlabasterVerve you think quinoa or flax seeds are unhealthy/gimmicky, or why you regret eating them. They are both very nutritious, and flax seeds aren't any higher in calorie than any other seed or nut. They're also both tasty and really versatile. You can look up the nutrition of them specifically if you want to be educated instead of just blindly following fads like you say you used to. No need to feel foolish! :)
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Close to banned because it usually isn't worth the calories are fast food and pizza (though I make my own burgers and fries and pizza with better ingredients cooking and portions).
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Only what I'm allergic to.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,989 Member
    Options
    The only banned foods for me are foods that I don't like. I don't care how "good for you" something is, if I don't like it I won't eat it. And even though I used to think that I could never eat certain foods in moderation, I have learned that I can eat them in moderation, so I do.