Eating out

Options
draby2011
draby2011 Posts: 178 Member
When you eat out, where do you go for healthy choices?

Replies

• strozzy
    strozzy Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    McDonald's
  • thinklivebefree
    thinklivebefree Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I try not to eat out at all but when I do I usually eat Chipotle, or subway...Nothing fried and I always eat Kids Meals and Chipotle and at Subway I always ask for my bread to be hollowed out!
  • thinklivebefree
    thinklivebefree Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Im going to assume Strozzy's being "The Troll" lol
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I don't. I go where my friends ask me to go and I eat moderately choosing the items on the menu that appear to be the least damaging for me hunger and calorie wise - but will still be satisfying. And, like this week, if there are plates we are sharing I take a few bites of those things I should have least, and only a few. I make sure I am not super hungry when I go, and I put my fork down, cover it with my napkin and ask my plate to be taken when I have had enough.
    If your diet is a WOE, then let's face it, going out is part of that. And not just going to restos with an under "500" menu.
  • zenalasca
    zenalasca Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Sumo Salad
    Subway
    McDonald's
  • sofitheteacup
    sofitheteacup Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I used to be on a huge Subway kick, but having gotten bored with that, my fast food vice of choice is the Chipotle burrito bowl- no rice, chicken and grilled veggies, lots of salsas, minimal cheese, lettuce, and NO GUAC. That was a hard one, since the guac initially seems healthier but winds up being several hundred calories more.

The thing that bugs me most about eating out is that I don't like chain restaurants, I prefer local business- AKA, no solid nutritional info, which is super frustrating unless I want to eat salads and dip my fork in the dressing (neither of which I have any intention of doing). So I try to make good choices 80% of the time and realize that when I go out, it's more about portion than anything else. So order appetizers instead of entrees, or order one appetizer and entrée and split with someone. BF and I need to do that more consistently!
  • pennelope515
    pennelope515 Posts: 369
    Options
    Mighty Taco!!!!! (It's local for me, and amazing!!!!!)
  • jkmiller82
    jkmiller82 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Mighty Taco!!!!! (It's local for me, and amazing!!!!!)

A fellow Buffalonian! I grew up there, but live in Dallas now.

In answer to your question, I eat at Chipotle (Burrito bowl: Half rice, half black beans, tons of fajita veggies, hot salsa, corn, and guac) If you care at all about your sodium levels (I don't) then I would steer clear of Chipotle all together. Probably all fast food-restaurants in general. really, haha.

Subway is alright. I usually get a roast beef six inch on wheat with spicy mustard and all the veggies. I'll throw in a bag of Baked Lay's too.

I love Wendy's! I get a baked potato with sour cream and chives and a small chili and it's filling for minimal calories. They have pretty tasty salads too (for drive thru).

We have a Sweet Tomatoes near me and I like to go their for the soup and salad.Great variety. It's a little tempting though because they have pizza and pasta which I try to steer clear of. I'll get a breadstick just to get rid of the temptation.

Like someone above me said, just try to stick to non-breaded, grilled, lots of veggies, etc. on the menu.
  • glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Plutos, Aqui Cal Mex. Elephant Bar, etc...

To be honest, I can usually request small modifications to make a dish a bit healthier.
  • ibleedunionblue
    ibleedunionblue Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Subway - and get a turkey or turkey/ham sun & no cheese.
    Chick-fil-A - Grilled chicken.
  • kasara315
    kasara315 Posts: 2
    Options
    Before we go out we always look up the menu and what type of foods we will order so when we get there and the waiter is rushing us we already know exactly what we are getting.. helps you make better choices! We stick to things like subway, red lobster (the grilled tilapia is amazing!!) and olive garden for their salad just stay away from those bread sticks! just do your research and you will be fine :)
  • amraf1024
    amraf1024 Posts: 74
    Options
    Subway, sonic chicken strips 100 cal per, McDonald's chicken, good luck can be hard but 95% of places have an online menu though or MFP has some more popular places when u search...
    Makes it easier well for me at least find out what ur ordering before u go helps me make smart choices...
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I go out once a week to sit down for a couple beers and some foods I normally don't indulge in during the week... Call it what you want a Cheat Meal, a Refeed, etc, etc..... but there are plenty of light calorie menu items at just about any eat out place.... Just look for the 500 calories and under section on the menu.... Best of Luck
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    The shower
  • MexicanOsmosis
    MexicanOsmosis Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    The shower

Well played.
  • jdallas69
    jdallas69 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Women
  • MexicanOsmosis
    MexicanOsmosis Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    So disappointed by the content of this thread. :sad:

Yeah, definitely not the content I was expecting.