Desk Job activities

Options
Anyone else have a 9-5 desk job that keeps them at their desk most the time? Looking for ideas to get some movement, even when I can't get up and move. I want to get a yoga ball to use as a desk chair, anyone try that at all?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Yep.

I have a walk at lunch time and then work out after work for 30 -60 minutes 3-6 x a week.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I get up every hour or so. I also get up to talk to colleagues rather than emailing them all of the time or paging them over the phone. I park further away from my office building and take the stairs. Beyond that I set aside time daily for deliberate exercise.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I have an hour set aside for exercise every work day. I either run or lift weights, on alternating days. I did this even while going to school and working because it was important enough to schedule in.

I get up a few times per day and take a short walk through the cubicle farm and take a 15-20 minute walk outside at around 10 or 11am, depending on the weather.

There are under-desk cycles and ellipticals that you might look into. I used to have a co-worker who used a ball for a chair and it didn't so much burn calories as strengthen his core muscles a bit.
  • jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I get in a 30 minute walk around noon. Other than that I'm too busy working to exercise. Someone on my office floor last year bought a under the desk pedal thing (we all work in cubicles) . It was the most annoying few weeks of my life. It squeaked. I hated her.
  • jm216
    jm216 Posts: 3,748 Member
    Options
    I have a stability ball chair and LOVE it!
    You can dance to background music...and roll here and there... Highly recommend it!
  • motivatenikki
    motivatenikki Posts: 19 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    i have a ball chair that helps me sit straight, but i also have a varidesk. it's a platform that your monitors sit on that you can pull up and use as a standing desk. i alternate sitting and standing 3-4 times per day. love it. www.varidesk.com

also, i have a little task reminder that tells me to go walk for ten minutes mid-morning and ten minutes mid-afternoon....just to move a little.