rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    cee134 wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »
    cee134 wrote: »
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    It has nothing to do with health and fitness though

I disagree. Being plant based is ridiculously healthy, when done correctly.

Eating on moderation is ridiculously healthy, when done correctly.

Eating low carb is ridiculously healthy, when done correctly.

See how that works.

No... what is low carb done right, isn't that one of the great debates of the internet? What is moderation done right? I could easily argue that moderation done right means plant based and not over eating. That very wide open to interpretation...

Plant based diets when done correctly include lots of whole foods, and proper supplements. It is extremely low in cholesterol, saturated fats, added sugars and refined carbs, all of which when added together have been shown to cause people to have a much higher risk of heart disease and diabetes.

So yes, the main reason I choose to do a plant based diet is to become healthier. I'm not saying it's the only way to eat but it is an extremely healthy way to eat and a great option for people choosing to become healthier.

Flexible diets, when done correctly include lots of whole foods, and proper supplements. It is extremely low in cholesterol, saturated fats, added sugars and refined carbs, all of which when added together have been shown to cause people to have a much higher risk of heart disease and diabetes.

So yes, the main reason I choose to do a flexible diet is to become healthier. I'm not saying it's the only way to eat but it is an extremely healthy way to eat and a great option for people choosing to become healthier.

See, still works.

This is exactly why going plant based or vegan should be done strictly on ethics. As stated, you can certainly eat a healthy diet while eating meat and an unhealthy "vegan" diet.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    One of my daughter's friends says that she is a vegetarian... she eats cereal, waffles, and muffins for breakfast, pasta for lunch... I can only hope she eats a few actual vegetables for dinner. She's overweight and so is the rest of her family. I think that there are a lot of people who don't look into the "when done correctly" part.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    One of my daughter's friends says that she is a vegetarian... she eats cereal, waffles, and muffins for breakfast, pasta for lunch... I can only hope she eats a few actual vegetables for dinner. She's overweight and so is the rest of her family. I think that there are a lot of people who don't look into the "when done correctly" part.

As a lifelong vegetarian (i was actually vegan for the first 5 years of my life) I have been my thinnest, healthiest, most athletic, and my fattest, dumpiest, and out-of-shape.

Nothing wrong with eating tasty things like cereal, waffles, muffins, or pasta (you seem to have a thing against carbohydrates??) you just need to control your overall calorie intake while meeting your micro-nutrient goals. It's safe to say, considering you don't see the rest of her diet, she may be getting adequate nutrition. She may be simply eating too many calories.

I think it goes without saying that this trend of childhood obesity is not dependent on vegetarianism but neglectful and ignorant parenting.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

As a lifelong vegetarian (i was actually vegan for the first 5 years of my life) I have been my thinnest, healthiest, most athletic, and my fattest, dumpiest, and out-of-shape.

Nothing wrong with eating tasty things like cereal, waffles, muffins, or pasta (you seem to have a thing against carbohydrates??) you just need to control your overall calorie intake while meeting your micro-nutrient goals. It's safe to say, considering you don't see the rest of her diet, she may be getting adequate nutrition. She may be simply eating too many calories.

I think it goes without saying that this trend of childhood obesity is not dependent on vegetarianism but neglectful and ignorant parenting.

I think I made it clear that my point was that you have to do it right, in response to the previous comments about unhealthy vegan diets. Sorry to have pressed your buttons. I don't have a thing against carbohydrates, I just think that you should probably look into eating some vegetables if you are a vegetarian. My example was that of a teenager who thought vegetarianism was a good thing to jump into, without thinking of proper nutrition.
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

I think I made it clear that my point was that you have to do it right, in response to the previous comments about unhealthy vegan diets. Sorry to have pressed your buttons. I don't have a thing against carbohydrates, I just think that you should probably look into eating some vegetables if you are a vegetarian. My example was that of a teenager who thought vegetarianism was a good thing to jump into, without thinking of proper nutrition.

Nothing wrong with any of those foods. Additionally, you can be fat and eat vegetables. It's about a caloric surplus.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    It's fine if you want to go veggie or vegan, but "Farm to Fridge" is a Shockumentary. There are many farms that treat their farm animals well. You just have to pay more for them. My grandfather was a butcher and he certainly did not treat animals like that!
    Where I live there are local farms you can buy from when they butcher- they are happy to have you walk around and see how they farm. You can get half a cow or pig as well as chicken who get too old to lay eggs.
    But again, it's your life. You want to be vegetarian, you go for it!

I understand your point, but for many of us choosing to end someone's life so they can be food is incompatible with treating them "well," even if it is done in a way that is more comfortable for consumers to observe. An ethical objection to animal exploitation includes smaller farms that are happy to show you how the animals live and die.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    In my youth, I worked more years than I should have in the beef industry. The main takeaways from that experience follow:

Everything that lives will die.
    You, me, a tree, a steer, a deformed chicken, everything.

Everything is reused.
    It might not be reused or consumed today or tomorrow or until our sun reaches its red giant phase, but everything is reused.

Nature is cruel.
    If left to nature, and in a best-case scenario, a cow will lose her teeth and starve to death. It takes several months. (Predatory deaths are not pleasant, either, and often expedite starvation deaths.)

Humanity can be cruel.
    The operation I worked for tried to avoid this, however, I've probably seen the same videos and agree that people can be far more inhumane in providing meat than is necessary. Humanity can be cruel, and we can also be humane.

For me personally, based on my own observations, consuming meat and using animal products is ethical...provided the animals were not abused while they were alive and not killed in a cruel way. (Nature often uses methods we would consider cruel: poison, suffocation, crushing, drowning, etc.)
    A big question I ask myself is, "Is it better to never exist, or to exist and meet a quick and humane end?"

For anyone wondering what a more humane meat provider looks like, search for White Oak Pastures.
    I am not affiliated with them.
    Just because everything sucks doesn't mean you have to contribute to it. There is no humane murder for meat.

Nothing in that post should lead to the conclusion that "everything sucks." That's just how it is.
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    In my youth, I worked more years than I should have in the beef industry. The main takeaways from that experience follow:

Everything that lives will die.
    You, me, a tree, a steer, a deformed chicken, everything.

Everything is reused.
    It might not be reused or consumed today or tomorrow or until our sun reaches its red giant phase, but everything is reused.

Nature is cruel.
    If left to nature, and in a best-case scenario, a cow will lose her teeth and starve to death. It takes several months. (Predatory deaths are not pleasant, either, and often expedite starvation deaths.)

Humanity can be cruel.
    The operation I worked for tried to avoid this, however, I've probably seen the same videos and agree that people can be far more inhumane in providing meat than is necessary. Humanity can be cruel, and we can also be humane.

For me personally, based on my own observations, consuming meat and using animal products is ethical...provided the animals were not abused while they were alive and not killed in a cruel way. (Nature often uses methods we would consider cruel: poison, suffocation, crushing, drowning, etc.)
    A big question I ask myself is, "Is it better to never exist, or to exist and meet a quick and humane end?"

For anyone wondering what a more humane meat provider looks like, search for White Oak Pastures.
    I am not affiliated with them.
    Just because everything sucks doesn't mean you have to contribute to it. There is no humane murder for meat.

Nothing in that post should lead to the conclusion that "everything sucks." That's just how it is.

That appeared to be the jist

• Return2Fit
    Return2Fit Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    It's an ethical decision only you can make for yourself

Personally I have no issue in being omnivorous ...but if if affects you to that extent take the steps you need to take to make yourself comfortable with your choices

It has nothing to do with health and fitness though

This is my position as well.
    I just am unable to manufacture feelings for my serving of meat, so I'd make a lousy vegan.
    o:)
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    ericatoday wrote: »
    Im not a vegan i love meat. ... But honestly being vegan is quite easy people make it seem hard but its not.

But you're not vegan...