Cant seem to eat enough calories.

Options

I'm 6'4 and my latest weigh in was at around 356 lbs. As you can imagine I require a lot of calories a day. I'm also working out, and have personal trainers. I seem to burn close to 1,000 calories just working out. And because of that when I eat my healthy salads, I'm severely under my calorie limit. Sometimes I'm at a deficit of 1500-2000. What can I eat that's healthy but can also give me some needed calories.

Because I'm eating healthier it feels like I'm constantly starving. How can I get rid of this?

Replies

• leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    drinking water, protein, fiber, full fat and 7-8hrs of sleep helps me stay full.

Put 1/2 avocado or kidney beans on your salads that helps bring up the calories and will help you stay full. Also you can try protein bars in between meals.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,181 Member
    Options
    Food is food. Eat enough. Multiple personal trainers? That sounds impressively extravagant. Now that you have a myfitnesspal user ID, use the food diary to accurately record everything you eat and every calorie you drink. You'll need a digital scale. Use the exercise diary to record your exercises. You may have to ask more questions about getting suitable results from that. If you don't already have a fitness tracker that straps to your chest to record your heart rate during all activities, get one.

This is a long journey. Take it one day at a time, one hour at a time, one minute at a time. You can.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    You weigh 356 pounds. You have no problem consuming calories. You shouldn't just be eating salads, just eat what you used to eat but in smaller quantities.

Get a food scale, and weigh all your foods. Try to eat enough protein and balance your Macros. I'm sure you can do this if you try :-)
  • branh0913
    branh0913 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Food is food. Eat enough. Multiple personal trainers? That sounds impressively extravagant. Now that you have a myfitnesspal user ID, use the food diary to accurately record everything you eat and every calorie you drink. You'll need a digital scale. Use the exercise diary to record your exercises. You may have to ask more questions about getting suitable results from that. If you don't already have a fitness tracker that straps to your chest to record your heart rate during all activities, get one.

This is a long journey. Take it one day at a time, one hour at a time, one minute at a time. You can.

Thanks for the advice. I do have a digital scale, the fitbit aria. Unfortunately I'm beyond the Max weight so it can't weigh me.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    branh0913 wrote: »

Thanks for the advice. I do have a digital scale, the fitbit aria. Unfortunately I'm beyond the Max weight so it can't weigh me.

Wont be long before you will be getting on that scale. Just eat good nutrient food that fits in your daily calorie count you'll get there!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

He meant a small digital scale to weigh your food you are eating, in order to log it properly.
  • branh0913
    branh0913 Posts: 8 Member
    Options

He meant a small digital scale to weigh your food you are eating, in order to log it properly.

Oh I got you. Great idea
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Its okay to have pizza and cookies as long as you log it accuratly and stay under your goals. But other calorie dense foods that you might consider are nuts and nut butters. Peanut butter is good for you, lots of protein. Just be sure to weigh those portions. With nits a little goes a long way. Also cheese, whole grain pasta and brown ride are calorie dense and not unhealthy when consumed in reasonable amounts.

By the way congrats on your progress so far. I was once in that place of having a scale that didn't go high enough to record my actual weight. I was somewhere around 320-340 in 1999/2000. You can totally do this. :)
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Those who have a lot to lose can usually be o.k. with not eating all of their calories as long as it is for a relatively short amount of time.
    Also, keep in mind that machine estimations of calories burned can be over estimated.
    Eat whatever foods help you reach your goals: dried fruit, pasta, meat balls, fried rice, butter, mashed potatoes, ham and cheese, . . .

List of high calorie foods:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10442489/cant-seem-to-eat-enough-calories#latest
    avocado
    cheese
    full fat dairy
    Greek yogurt
    ice cream
    peanut butter (or other nut butters)
    dark chocolate
    less lean cuts of meat (including beef, pork, sausage, etc.)
    seeds (chia, flax, sunflower, etc.)
    nuts
    olive oil
    coconut oil
    butter
    beans and lentils
    protein shakes, bars, and smoothies
    hummus
    beef jerky
    cornbread
    tuna
    full calorie condiments
    full calorie sauces & dressings
    sour cream
    guacamole
    whole grain pasta
    rice
    bacon
    whole eggs
    quinoa
    fruit and fruit juices
    pretzels
    bananas
    scones
    muffins (bran, blueberry, banana nut, etc.)
    potatoes (sweet, red, gold, purple, white, etc.)
    dried fruit (raisins, apricots, plums, dates, etc.)
    granola
    coconut
    salmon
    edamame
    olives
    honey
    molasses

• TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    I'm 6'4 and my latest weigh in was at around 356 lbs. As you can imagine I require a lot of calories a day. I'm also working out, and have personal trainers. I seem to burn close to 1,000 calories just working out. And because of that when I eat my healthy salads, I'm severely under my calorie limit. Sometimes I'm at a deficit of 1500-2000. What can I eat that's healthy but can also give me some needed calories.

Because I'm eating healthier it feels like I'm constantly starving. How can I get rid of this?

The main principle behind this fitness site is the calorie deficit concept. My Fitness Pal uses the info you put in at the beginning to suggest a daily calorie count. As long as you use a bit under this figure, you should lose weight. if you exercise, this increases your total calorie allowance for the day, so you can actually eat a bit more.

There's therefore no need to go on a special diet or resort to salads only. Just simply record all the calories in from food, and the calories out through exercise, and ensure there's always a deficit remaining. The correct plate setting for a meal is half vegetables, quarter meat, quarter starch - so you can see your salad should be on a plate with some other stuff.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    You are over 300lbs so you have a lot of weight to lose. A large caloric deficit will do you no harm.
  • kermax39
    kermax39 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Add some cheese to.your salads, allow for some peanut butter on your toast, a bit of fat helps keep me fuller. Its really all about calories, u dont need to eat salads every day. Try to incorporate some favourite foods, if u like steak have it with a side salad if u like salad, or chips. Youv got a generous allowance, make the most of it.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    . (deleted as misread! doh!)
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    kermax39 wrote: »
    Youv got a generous allowance, make the most of it.

Amen to that. Someone here once said (really wish I could remember who), paraphrasing, "The trick isn't to eat as little as possible, it's to eat as much as possible and still lose weight." That idea really hit home for me.

(Still wish I could eat like a linebacker and stay a petite woman) ;)